1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What makes a good speaker cable?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by hornet_boys, Jan 28, 2004.

1. hornet_boys

hornet_boys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all - newbie query.

I have recently purchased a Pioneer 301 receiver/amp and a set of Tannoy fx 5.1 speakers. The speakers came with 25m of bog standard cable which to my untrained ears sounds OK.

However the 25m wasn't enough cable to permanantly site my rears speakers, as well as the other speakers, which I now plan to do. Therefore I need to purchase some more cable and will take the opportunity to upgrade the rest of the cable at the same time.

I cannot afford to buy top brand name cables and have been looking at internet sites which sell unbranded cable by the reel.

Anyways my question is what makes a better cable than I already have. Does the amount of copper threads make a difference i.e. the more threads the better? The Tannoy supplied cable has at a rough count 24 threads.

This is the spec of the cable I am looking at -
    CSA - 0.75mm²
    Strands - 2x96/0.1 mm (Stranded OFC conducters)
    Current - 6A max.
    Cable Dims - 2.5x5.0 mm

this is of course complete gibberish to me so could someone in the know please explain if this is any good or if it isn't what I should look for.

A sincere thank you to anyone who takes the time to reply.

2. hornet_boys

hornet_boys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0