What MAC? from a windows user

nikonuser11

After my latest PC issues I've had enough and feel a MAC is the way forward.

When I heard I can set up a partition to run my windows programmes as well that swung it.

I know a fair bit about PC specs but NADA about macs so any advice please?

Currently win 7 pro
Intel i7 930 @280GHz
6GB Ram
64 bit operating
Radeon HD 7900 GFX card

so I need something at least similar or better.

Main things are MS Office, T'interweb, video and pics and FPS Gaming

thanks

adonis

Gaming rules the Mac Mini out
iMac 27" with GTX 780M for me if you have the wonga to spend

680 isnt bad anyway

nikonuser11

Gaming rules the Mac Mini out
iMac 27" with GTX 780M for me if you have the wonga to spend

680 isnt bad anyway

thanks, looks good but that was beta, you still doing it

MartinPickering

I've used Macs since 1987 but never played a game so I can't advise on that aspect. Are you aware that MS Office for Mac does not include "Access"?

From your stated interests, I think you need Windows.

nikonuser11

I've used Macs since 1987 but never played a game so I can't advise on that aspect. Are you aware that MS Office for Mac does not include "Access"?

From your stated interests, I think you need Windows.
that can only be a positive aspect.

so Internet, video and Pictures being the dominant aspect you think MACS arent as good as Windows? I'd heard differently

MartinPickering

You omitted MS Office and FPS Gaming. With "Access" missing from Office and many games missing from the Mac platform, it doesn't matter how "good" Macs are - I can't recommend them on this occasion. I'm a Mac user NOT a Mac evangelist so I try to help people make a practical choice. If the OP decides that these factors don't matter, that's fine. I've given him the information to do with as he pleases. If Internet, Video and Images are the total requirement then of course a Mac will do - dependent on what software is required and what he has already. If it means forking out for "Final Cut Pro" and he already has similar for Windows, he might think twice.

bluemike

Novice Member
I was a windows user for a very long time but hated Windows 8. I decided to swap to Mac and so glad I did. I brought a 13in mac book pro with retina display, 8GB ram and 250 SSD, and it is a joy to use. I mostly use it for photoshop and lightroom but it does everything I need including word processing with Pages. I still have a windows 7 laptop but it is hardly opened now. Safari is a breeze. Wish I had made the change earlier.

nikonuser11

You omitted MS Office and FPS Gaming. With "Access" missing from Office and many games missing from the Mac platform, it doesn't matter how "good" Macs are - I can't recommend them on this occasion. I'm a Mac user NOT a Mac evangelist so I try to help people make a practical choice. If the OP decides that these factors don't matter, that's fine. I've given him the information to do with as he pleases. If Internet, Video and Images are the total requirement then of course a Mac will do - dependent on what software is required and what he has already. If it means forking out for "Final Cut Pro" and he already has similar for Windows, he might think twice.
no I didn't, did you actually read the OP.

theres posts supporting all this just in this thread alone:thumbsup:

nikonuser11

YOU omitted MS Office and FPS Gaming, which the OP included in his original post. What makes you think those aren't "the dominant aspect"? I believe that they are, which is why I can't recommend OSX as being an ideal solution.
they are NOT because I AM THE OP :eek:

MartinPickering

Ah, so you've changed your mind?
In that case, if you are no longer bothered about MS Office and FPS gaming, try a Mac. I don't understand why you bothered to ask if you already made up your mind about it.

But are you sure you want a Mac? As Windoze users keep telling me, the more people who own a Mac, the more likely it is that somebody will create a Mac virus one day - and I don't want that. So please don't "switch" unless you really, really want to.

nikonuser11

Ah, so you've changed your mind?
In that case, if you are no longer bothered about MS Office and FPS gaming, try a Mac. I don't understand why you bothered to ask if you already made up your mind about it.

But are you sure you want a Mac? As Windoze users keep telling me, the more people who own a Mac, the more likely it is that somebody will create a Mac virus one day - and I don't want that. So please don't "switch" unless you really, really want to.
firstly I assume the concept of affirmation is lost to you?;)

Secondly, you are way too late, at least 600,000 mac users in states affected recently..............

thirdly, rearrange these words into a well known sentence....

coffee
and
smell
up
waken
the

you seem entrenched in your MAC world, other people are available:smashin:

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
I've been a Mac user since 1987...

My current (fourth) 2012 Mac Mini Server is configured thus: primarily I use all my Mac applications on HD1, while Windows 7 Pro (including Office Pro) resides within a BootCamp partition on HD2. If I didn't have the Server version of the Mac Mini I would have bought a standard Mac Mini and then added the second hard drive myself.

On HD1, Parallels is utilised to access the BootCamp partition on HD2. This means that I don't have to re- boot between OSX and BootCamp simply to access a given Windows program. HD2 also holds my music and movie libraries for access by my AppleTV and Squeezebox.

Even if I didn't have this particular configuration, I also have CrossOver Mac installed on HD1. This enables running most Windows programs, but without the need to install a Windows OS. It will run ALL Windows games. Another free alternative for you to consider is VirtualBox, although it requires a Windows OS.

next010

Distinguished Member
If your serious about games on a Mac your going to be dual booting into Windows, that the crux of it.

Virtual PC software on Mac's can make some games work but it doesn't work out so well sometimes. Games native to OSX are more common these days but ports often come after the PC version. A lot of smaller indie games do get day 1 releases on OSX but the big AAA titles don't.

Mac's are not about upgrading in general, that's why PC gamers by in large avoid Mac's like the plague. Thunderbolt might make external GPU's a reality one day which would really solve that issue but anything Thunderbolt is very expensive right now.

So you buy an iMac or a Macbook and stick the fastest GPU you can select in it during the purchase and thats it.

Mac's do get viruses and malware you are a smaller target than windows but anyone who says OSX is safe is miss informed, what it means is your less likely to catch something.

You could get something similar to OSX for PC's it's a linux OS called Elementary (compatible with Ubuntu) but it leaves you largely in the same boat but with worse application support. Outside the app store model application install and management on any linux OS is a complicated affair compared to OSX or Windows.

Last edited:

MartinPickering

Mac's do get viruses
Impossible, simply because there aren't any viruses. And right now there's virtually no OSX malware in the wild. You'd have to search long and hard to find it. The worst you have to worry about is your own stupidity. Don't download and install anything that you aren't 100% sure about. And don't install the likes of "MacKeeper"!

next010

Distinguished Member
Impossible, simply because there aren't any viruses. And right now there's virtually no OSX malware in the wild. You'd have to search long and hard to find it. The worst you have to worry about is your own stupidity. Don't download and install anything that you aren't 100% sure about. And don't install the likes of "MacKeeper"!
Yes very long, one quick search on a major tech site
* malware infects laptop with signed Apple ID.
* lets not forget the mac defender malware
* the flashback malware incident
* Safari has regularly been breached at the pwn2own contest.
* OSX has built in anti-virus/malware from 10.6.8 if such things did not exist then they would have no reason to build the feature in.

Martin with all due respect you seem out of touch with the reality of OSX/Mac's and are repeating the old spin points that Mac fans gave out a decade ago. OSX viruses and malware do exist your just less likely to get it.

If Mac's had a larger user pool they would get hit as much as Windows, most attacks these days come from browsers anyway so exploits are crafted to browser and plugin (java/flash etc) vulnerabilities so this allows some cross platform attacks.

MartinPickering

But you are pointing to very to very specific (and out of date) threats. Just scaremongering. The real world "threat" is absolutely miniscule compared with the threats for Windows. It's like suggesting that nobody should ever eat meat because of the threat of BSE.

If Mac's had a larger user pool
I wish I had a pound for every time I've heard that. The fact is that Macs DON'T have a bigger user pool (and never will). All a Mac user needs is a little common sense and the ability to do a little homework so he knows how to minimise the (already miniscule) risk. Such as NOT allowing Safari to open downloaded files OR to run Java. Such as NOT to install "iffy" software.

I've used Macs since 1987. I never have fewer than two connected to the Internet 24/7 and I've never had an "infection". Nor do I run any "protection" software that isn't already built in to the OS. The whole point of using a Mac is that you don't need such "protection" slowing down your computer (and potentially causing its own problems).

next010

Distinguished Member
It's not scaremongering and your peddling false info that OSX is impossible to get infected & those were all recent examples from the past few years.

That is a dangerous mentality to use and most OSX users I know including myself do not spread such miss information, any computer system is vulnerable.

So what if you got never infected with anything that doesn't mean others wont & plenty of OSX users have with those past malware outbreaks, I've been running OSX and Windows for a very long time too and rarely ever caught anything.

Just today Mac and iOS users are reported getting hit with ransom ware.

The whole point of using a Mac is that you don't need such "protection" slowing down your computer (and potentially causing its own problems).
That is a very out-dated view, most anti-malware software has a very minimal presence in the background and generally does not cause problems.

MartinPickering

I never mentioned "impossible". Just very unlikely unless you are very careless or don't bother to take basic precautions (such as those I already mentioned above and also NOT running as "Admin".

The "ransomeware" business is not a virus and relies on stupidity - not setting a password, indeed!

Reminds me of when my son got into trouble at school for "hacking teachers' accounts on the network". Turned out they'd left the password as "password" - so what did they expect?

So anti-malware doesn't cause problems for Mac users?
I can also play the "links game" to provide "proof" that this contention is wrong. Here's the first "proof" that Google finds (and there are plenty more):-
Mac OS X anti-virus software: More trouble than it's worth? - CNET

I still contend that, with the most basic precautions, Mac users can avoid problems and anti-malware products are more likely to cause problems overall than doing without.

Discuss this all you want, but not in the thread of a user that is trying to work out if he wants to jump from Windows to MacOSX.

And please don't use the term 'windoze' it's not big or clever.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett