Question What LG models can pass Atmos through ARC?

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by gorman, Nov 27, 2017.

1. gorman

gorman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +41
      Is it all models or only some of the more expensive ones? I'm not finding a clear answer on this.

Thinking about the Netflix app. They stream DD+ Atmos. Is that passed to the AV receiver?

Thanks.

2. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +766
      so far as I know, for the current sets, it's only the 7 series (LG) that handle atmos from the internal apps. None offer atmos over arc, as in, to your av or speaker system by hdmi. They only do atmos for the inbuilt soundbar I believe?

I think that to pass atmos from a hdmi source, through the tv, and then back to your system, require something called eARC, which is an updated hardware not present in any of the current models?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    3. choddo

choddo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +477
      Had this question rceently in another thread. Apparently eARC is needed for DTHD (plus Atmos or otherwise) but DD+ with Atmos could work over arc - but not sure it does on the LGs. Can it just be carried as bitstream or does it need the TV to set a metadata flag?

• Useful Useful x 2
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    4. DevonDave

DevonDave
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15
      Hi,

I bought an OLED55E7 with an SJ9 soundbar over the last couple of weeks, and have Sky Q. I've got it set up so that HDMI out from the soundbar goes to the TV HDMI 2 (ARC), and Sky Q goes into HDMI 1 of the TV - I'm not even using the single HDMI input on the soundbar (yet). It seems to be passing Atmos to the soundbar through ARC ok as when I've got UHD Sky Sports football on I get the Atmos indicator on the soundbar and TV.

I wasn't planning on setting it up this way but was just fiddling around and was surprised when it worked, I prefer it this way as it's a bit cleaner on switching inputs on the TV plus I've got the HDMI input spare on the soundbar if I ever need it.

Hope this helps.

Edit: The soundbar also shows the Atmos indicator when on the Netflix app

• Like Like x 3
      • Thanks Thanks x 2
      • List
    5. kiran_mk2

kiran_mk2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +43
      Atmos is simply a flag set into an existing audio stream in the same way that Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES carried flags within a Dolby Digital or DTS stream back in the day.

In the case of Atmos it can be set as a flag in a Dolby Digital Plus stream and a Dolby TruHD stream. Think of it as being a lossy Atmos (DD+) and a lossless Atmos (TruHD).

ARC is only specced to carry up to Dolby Digital Plus and even then only if the manufacturer supports it. As mentioned, the LG 2017 OLED range will pass Dolby Digital Plus via it's ARC port so will pass the lossy Atmos. If you want the full lossless Atmos this is not possible via ARC and you will need eARC that is coming as part of the HDMI 2.1 spec. Even then it is likely that lossless Atmos will only come from UHD BluRays as all streaming services and likely Sky Q will use the Dolby Digital Plus / lossy Atmos.

I don't know how AV amps/Soundbars are configured - in an ideal world they would light both the Atmos light and either the Dolby Digital Plus light or the TruHD light to let you know which version you are getting.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    6. AndySmith

AndySmith

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +36
      As far as I know, all of the 7 series OLEDs will pass lossy Atmos via ARC. I'm 100% on my B7 which totally does this when using the inbuilt Netflix app. As mentioned, this is only DD+ Atmos and not full-on lossless, but it's pretty cool anyway.

7. gorman

gorman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +41
      Ok, good. So DD+ Atmos is passed through. That was my question. I know you need eARC to pass through Dolby TrueHD (but I'm not that worried about that, lossy codecs are kind of good nowadays". Thanks for all your answers. :)

8. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +654
      I can get atmos to my AVR (Yamaha RX-V781) via DD+ over ARC from the TV (LG 55B7V) from the Netflix app.
      What they will not do (yet?) is atmos over TrueHD as you need eARC for that.

I have not tried plugging a TrueHd atmos source into the TV (ie BD player) and seeing if it re-create the atmos over DD+ via ARC as I do not have a suitable external source yet, but I believe it can as I'm sure someone mentioned they did this on here somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    9. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +766
      Thanks that's good to know. I think I've misunderstood a lot about how arc works anyway, as I don't use it myself.

10. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +276
      Hi I need to add it's not just LG OLED'S that surport it all LG SJ models surport it as well .

I know I have a 49SJ800V model hooked up to my Denon X4100W via ARC and it passes Dolby Digital + and Dolby Atmos quite happily.

Both come up stating so on my Denon AV AMP during use in Netflix

11. Recall

Recall

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +120
      Strange, unless I choose internal speakers Atmos does not show up as option?

12. AndySmith

AndySmith

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +36
      The TV isn't responsible for decoding the audio it sends out via ARC. The only thing that matters is that the TV sends everything it can - audio data and metadata - from whatever source is being used (internal apps, digital TV, and so on). It's an all-or-nothing kind of setting. So you just set it to "HDMI (ARC)", the TV sends everything it can cope with, and the next device in the chain (soundbar, receiver, etc) does whatever decoding it can support. If your AV supports Atmos, and Atmos metadata is being sent from the TV, you'll probably get Atmos (unless you've set your AV up to do something different obviously, and not all AV's handle data delivered via ARC in the same way). If the AV doesn't support Atmos then the metadata will be ignored and you'll probably get DD+.

If you decide to use the TV's own speakers then it has to do the decoding itself, and in this scenario the format becomes relevant. Hence you see the TV mention Atmos specifically.

13. avsounds

avsounds
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      it defo sends atmos through arc..got it going into yamaha av-r 3040 amp through netfilix wheelman lights up ..also getting hdr movies going through usb but not getting atmos through it but dolby true or dts-hd..im just wondering how come it doesn't do atmos through usb port..mybe bandwith?

14. Recall

Recall

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +120
      My issue is that Netflix does not give the option for Atmos if I choose ARC. If I set the TV speakers it will show Atmos. So it is not getting the chance to decode as not being sent.

On my Xbox One X it comes up Atmos no problem.

Attached Files:

15. AndySmith

AndySmith

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +36
      I'm still not 100% on what you mean unfortunately. I assume your attached image is from your XBox? The Atmos logo there is just Netflix stating that Atmos is available in the stream if you play Okja, but Netflix doesn't know what equipment you have connected elsewhere in your setup so it's no guarantee that you'll actually get Atmos coming out of your speakers.

Coming at it from the other direction, my B7 is configured to output sound via ARC, and using the Netflix app shows "Atmos" when I go to the Okja stream. Are you saying that yours doesn't? Can you post an image of that?

Which TV model do you have?

16. Soundizer

Soundizer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +377
      This is such a confusing subject.

Should I connect my Apple TV4K directly to my TV and turn on Atmos on both Apple TV4K and LG OLED55C7?

My soundbar is Dolby Digital only. However it supports LPCM via direct HDMI connection. I connect the. Soundbar to HDMI 2[ARC] on LG OLED55C7.

17. Andy0x1

Andy0x1
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      I have an E7P, and an AVR-X8500h (13.1) receiver.

The TV will pass Atmos to the receiver via ARC, but for some reason I only get 7.1.4 not 9.1.4 (contrary to the illuminated indicator on the receiver which suggests the full compliment is working)

If I play the same Atmos track through the XBox then I get the full 9.1.4

Im confused as to why the front wide speakers remain dormant when using ARC as Atmos is object based.

If I play DTSX - Same problem

If I play Aura 3D - Same problem. Additionally when the audio demo indicates "height speakers only" some of the side speakers continue to produce sound. (not sure what thats about.)