what lens

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by neilrob, Mar 5, 2003.

1. neilrob

neilrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    come on all you experts give a newcomer some advice, never been into photography until i bought my p.c. and a cheap digital camera came with the package, that`s when i got hooked. i dived in at the deepend and bought myself a fuji s1 pro, which is superb, but i`am looking for a realy good lens for portraiture. can anyone of you good people recomend something that will fit the bill.

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try this question on the forums at www.dpreview.com.

You will find your question answered in minutes rather than days!!!

3. jtgraphics

jtgraphics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are you going to be shooting with this lens and are you planning on purchasing others later?

4. neilrob

neilrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my budget is whatever it costs, and i will be shooting family portraits etc, and yes i will be buying more lenes in the future

5. BigAardvaark

BigAardvaark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    NeilRob,

What is the focal length multiplier on the S1???

I know that most protraiture photography tends to be done in the 50-100mm range on a standard SLR, and a fixed focal length lens (also called "Prime" lenses) has many advantages over a zoom (less distortion, greater light transmission, lighter weight, etc). I find 70mm to be particularly useful as it's almost zero magnification, i.e, if you can picture your viewfinder as you look at things with your naked eye, it's near as spot on what you'll get when you look through the viewfinder.

But to get standard 35mm SLR lenses fitting the above statement, you need to take into cosideration the size of the CCD in the S1 being smaller than a 35mm film frame. So to get the effect of a 50mm lens, you'd have to buy a much wider angle lens (24mm or somesuch) which are typically more expensive.

As mentioned in an earlier reply, DPReview has a dedicated S1 forum which, in comparison with this forum, is ALIVE with posters!!

6. jtgraphics

jtgraphics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok no limit I'd select the Nikon AF 28-70mm F2.8 D IF ED AFS for shooting family portraits. For a wider lens I'd select the Nikon AF 17-35mm F2.8D ED-IF AFS and for the longer side for sports and low light shooting the Nikon AF 80-200mm F2.8 D ED IF AFS or the newer version Nikon AF 70-200mm F2.8 G AFS IF-ED VR and last the Nikon AF 80-400mm VR F4.5-5.6 D for outdoor shooting if you need a longer lens.
    Other options on the less costly side are the Sigma AF 15-30mm F3.5-4.5 EX DG replacing the 17-35mm F2.8D ED-IF AFS but a slower lens at F3.5-4.5 and the Sigma AF 70-200mm F2.8 EX APO HSM replacing the Nikon AF 80-200mm F2.8 D ED IF AFS but lacks the true sharpness of the Nikon lens.

7. jtgraphics

jtgraphics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The S1 has a 1.5 x (eg. 28 mm lens is equiv. of 42 mm on S1 Pro)

8. neilrob

neilrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all information greatly recieved, i thank you all. i will keep you posted on what lens i go for + the results.