What lens to replace the kit lens?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Strobe, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I have the twin lens kit Sony A100 DSLR. I would like to replace the kit 18-70 kit lens with something a bit faster and of better quality. Was considering the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 dc macro. Wondered if anyone has used the lens and was happy with it. Seems VFM and reviews favourably. Alternative recommendations also appreciated.

2. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The Sigma 17-70mm is well thought of.

Another lens that you may want to try is the Tamron/KM 28-75mm f2.8. This is also a highly thought of lens in either form, it is sharp and has a constant f2.8 aperture throughout the range.

If you have big bucks, the Miolta 28-70mm f2.8 G lens is a very high performer (if you can find one).

3. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I was considering the 28-70 f2.8 (I think also do one) but was concerned losing at the wide end. Will have to see what I can try out in the NY.

4. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I have to say that the quality of the kit lens is often underrated and it gives the Sigma 17-70 a run for it's money, though the Sigma is faster. I know what you mean about the loss of the wide end.

I sometimes shoot without flash in the school drama hall with only the stage lighting and even the F2.8 is too slow for that unless high iso is used (not best with lots of shadow areas), so I tend to stick to fast primes like the Minolta 50mm f1.7 for this sort of work.

Talking about standard zooms, I use a Sigma 18-200mm as my walkabout lens and am very happy with it, but I have my eye on the forthcoming Zeiss 16-80mm standard zoom that has some of the highest mtf ratings for a zoom ever seen. It probably will have the highest price too.:rotfl:

Ah well I can dream.