1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What leads to buy for picture quality?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gadjet, May 16, 2003.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My projector will be Sony VW12HT. The connections will come from a Pioneer 747 DVD, and panasonic Digi box and PS2. The amp is Pioneer AX10

My main thought is the DVD, will component be best for that. For sky shall I get a RGB scart to component, pj has 2 compnent sockets. With sky I will swap with TV when needed eg match, film. There is only scart on back of panasonic.

I have had great help of messiah who suggested to go through amp for best picture on sky, lost on how to do it, move closer messiah!

All cables will need to be 10mt. Am I right or should I buy something else. Will be ordering in the morning. Any good places you know please leave their web address.

Big thank you

Hope you still want Sony after tomorrow Messiah. Epson does read well. But sticking with Sony, mind made up

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    gadjet

Assuming the AX10 (is it an AX10i) has component inputs you could do it a number of ways.

[edit] just found AX10 does indeed have component in so try and go component throughout if possible.

Option 1

DVD - component out to componnet in on amp with either coaxial digital or optical digital to amp for sound
    Digibox - SCART to S-Vid in on amp (require SCART to S-vid and audio cable) with red and white phone to corresponding audio inputs on amp
    PS2 - S-Video output (require S-Video cable) to S-Video input on amp with digital optical to optical in on amp.

Option 2

As above but use

digibox - RGB to component convertor for digibox and take to second component in on amp
    PS2 - component cable to third component input on amp.

Then take corresponding feeds (component. S-vid) from amp to pj.

Option 2 will give highest/best image quality all round but need purchase of RGB>component convertor and PS2 component cable.

If you have to buy the cables in option 1 then I would go the option 2 route albeit a little bit more money.

HTH

3. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheers mesiah,

I think I understand what you are saying, just one question not sure of, would it not be better to go component straight from dvd to pj with no "interuptions" and play with proggresive scan. 747 does that and pj too?

I,ll be honest never tried or thought of playing items going through amp. I wil;l look back on reviews. See what they say AX10 (no i) is like at that. Are some amps better than others at playing things through them?

I looked on map to see where demonstration is tomorrow, bit too far I think. Great to of seen you there and picked your mind.

Cheers Phill

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi Phil

You certainly could go direct but you would then need separate cables to the pj for the DVD and the other items whereas if you feed everything through the amp and use it as a video switcher you will need just the one set of component cables from amp to pj.

I really don't think you'll notice any difference between going direct or going through amp and if you go via the amp you can still use the progressive out from the DVD player as the amp is simply working as a switcher and not interfering with the signal at all.

I switch everything through the amps for convenience. Then when you switch sources on the amp both the picture and sound change to correspond with your choice rather than also having to switch inputs on the pj also.

HTH.

Neil

BTW, I am hearing different reports on the noise levels of the Sony VW11/VW12 (some say loud some say quiet) and as I cannot find anywhere to demo I am looking at either a new TW100 (from the US) or a HT1000 - which is whyI am nipping down to T Wells tomorrow to see both (albeit old version TW100)

5. stereogeezer

stereogeezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One small problem is the panasonic digibox won't o/p svid at all. The only options are composite or RGB. You can get various convertors boxes from people like keene electronics or js technologies which will get you good picture quality but the best option IMHO is to run a scart to 6 phono lead configured for rgb & sync on composite. The remaining two phonos can be used for audio but your as well to run seperate phonos from the L/R audio o/p on the digibox itself to the amp . Then configure either of projectors inputs A/B for DTV RGB in menu. A freind of mine did this on his VPLVW10 and it looked great! If you fancy having a go yourself and need the configuration of the lead I can tell you or you can buy a premade one. I think QED do one.

ATB

Stereo

6. stereogeezer

stereogeezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW switching through most modern av amps is fine as they oftenboost the signal on the way through the video circuitry and so you lose nothing in quality but gain in ease of use :clap:

ATB
    Stereo

7. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Stereogeezer, where can I get these leads from and what do you mean by o/p svid. Also where can I get a RGB to component from.

Cheers,
    Phill