1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Leads Do I Need?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rod Alcorn, May 8, 2003.

1. Rod Alcorn

Rod Alcorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A Sony KV32FQ80 and DAVS 550 arrives later today!

Having spent a 'shed load of money' we want to that we enjoy the best picture and sound possible. What leads do you recommend?

We also wish to hear the TV through the DVD system speakers.

Thank you.

2. Ravi 123

Ravi 123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that you can only connect it to tv via s - video lead:(

3. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Nice kit, I think you'll be really happy with it. Ravi is correct, however the lead you need (he's a poet...) is a good quality s-video to scart lead for the connection between the 550 and the tv. You will get no sound out of the telly with this lead however when playing a dvd. If you want to sometimes watch a dvd without the 550 turned on, then you might want to get an s-video and two phono, to scart lead. Make sure that the direction of the lead is correct, i.e. in the direction I've stated. You could get a suitable lead from Richer Sounds for example, or even from Dixons although they only have two extremes of lead in my experience (really expensive or not very good). I'd recommend you spend between 25 and £50 on this lead as it's your most important, so you might want to go to a proper hi-fi store like Sevenoaks or Musical Images, or read a home-cinema mag to get a recommendation and buy on the internet.

Now, how you get sound from your normal telly to the dav-s is another matter. I haven't looked at the back of a dav-s, but I imagine it has several sets of left and right audio phono sockets. You could take a 2-phono to 2-phono lead, and connect this from the telly's 2-phono left and right outputs and plug these into the two on the 550's tv inputs(one of the sets of inputs on the dav is sure to be marked tv in). If the telly's outputs aren't in a good place for this, or you're not happy with the quality this gives, the same connection could be made from a vcr or satellite box. Again, you could go to Richer Sounds or Dixons, but I'd recommend spending not more than about £20 on this myself. Richer Sounds have good value leads.

Hope this helps.