1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What leads do I need ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MarkTy, May 26, 2005.

1. MarkTy

MarkTy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have on order a Pioneer PDP 505xde, a denon 3910 DVD players, Denon 3805 AMP and KEF KHT 2005.2 speakers.

What leads will i need to buy to connect it all up, and how much should I invest in them to get the best out of my screen and surround sound. I'll be using QED silver anniversary speaker cabling.

Also how will I link both my DVD and Sky HD (When it comes out) when there is only one HDMI input on the Pioneer Media box.

Thanks for any advice

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You get a Denon Link lead with the Denon units. You will at the moment need 3 pairs of phono leads for SACD, if you have any. You will need a HDMI to HDMI lead.

For Sky you are going to need an optical cable for audio. +HDMI lead.

I know you can get HDMI switch boxes but i don't know any brands i'm afraid.

I would go for Chord HDMI leads. Sorry don't know the costs but have seen them around they seem to work fine.

When setting up the system, let the 3805 do the auto setup. Then go into the speaker setup and make sure all speakers are SMALL and the Sub crossover is 150Hz.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    MarkTy

You can add a multiple HDMI or DVI (with HDCP) Switchers - 2:1, 5:1 and even 2:2, 4:2 and 6:2 for those with more than one Display; we use Zektor and Gefen units.

What other sources do you have to connect to your Media Box and AV Receiver?

Will you have stereo loudspeakers on the TV in addition to the KEF 5:1 system?

Best regards

Joe

4. MarkTy

MarkTy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help everyone.

I'm not connecting too much other stuff. DVD and Sky definitely, and maybe a games console at some point in the future.

The guy in my local shop told me that the cable between media box and screen might need to be upgraded, but I've got a bit confused about what i need, and how I can link both Sky HD and DVD with HTMI if there's only one in on the media box.

Not sure whether to go for the panel speakers. What do you advise...and should you go for the short or long ones ?

Thanks agin for all help.....but please spell it out in very simple terms...I'm a bear with very small brain !!!!

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    MarkTy

Media Box to Screen - that's the Dealers margin that's being upgraded :)

I have to say the difference I see when trying different grades/makes of DVI cable between the Media Box and Screen on an XDE are minimal.

Plasma Stereo speakers - I find adding the short speakers along the bottom edge of the Screen works well when you want to watch the News and the like and don't require full on 5:1.

DVD to Media Box - an HDMI cable will deliver High Quality Digital video + Stereo audio.

DVD to AV Receiver - Denon link for 5:1 and as Eddy Boy says three pairs of Stereo cables if you want/require SACD.

AV Receiver to Media Box - YUV Component via 3RCA to enable you to 'see' the AV Receivers set-up menu and also lets you plug any YUV, S-Video or Composite sources to the AV Receiver and have One connection into the Media Box as the AV Receiver up converts all signals to YUV.

SKY to Media Box - SCART to SCART for RGB video + Stereo audio.

SKY to AV Receiver - Stereo pair if its SKY or Digital Optical for 5:1 if its SKY+.

Games console to AV Receiver - most now have the option of a YUV cable set and these can plug to the YUV Inputs on the AV Receiver along with (usually) a Digital Optical for 5:1 audio.

SKY HD to Media Box - as before a Gefen 2:1 or 2:2 HDMI switch (See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2757) or Zektor 5:1 switch (See http://www.zektor.com/dvs51/index.html) are available now for customers with multiple SD and or HD Digital video sources.

Any of these will plug into the HDMI Input on the XDE Media Box and enable you to switch multiple sources into the single HDMI Input.

Best regards

Joe

6. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    I will be in a similar boat next month, will probably need a new SCART lead, and component leads, 5m should do it, any suggestions on DECENT leads (for a PV500).
    Also XBox, I am using advanced SCART lead for connection, is this the best way?

Thanks.

7. MarkTy

MarkTy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help everyone

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    for the PV500 use componant for DVD/Xbox www.TVcables.co.uk are cheap and fast as for what leads thats upto you.

MArk dont worry too much about upgrading the the umbilical it can make a difference but you will spend alot of money for little gain. As HDMI cable dont go MAD, you can seriously overspend on these!only at legnths of 5m+ do you need to be choosy and even then more £££ does not Equal better picture.

9. syntax error

syntax error

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For progressive scan through x box you will need the High definition pack. However you cant buy it in UK, so will need to import it.

You can buy it from Liksang.com for around £16.