What lead will you be using with Wii ?

What lead will you use ?

• Total voters

Thekop

Established Member
Reaction score
I fancy getting the RGB Scart over the Component for some strange reason. What about everyone else ? :)

I'll be using an unofficial component until I can get the official one :)

I'm using composite at the moment but I'm going to switch to component as soon as I get one.

We just have regular TV so composite is my choice... not gonna spend extra dough just to get a slightly better image

Im using component and its the only way to go.

Kube, I know it makes a huge difference but what are the chances of you doing some comparison screenshots for us? You know, just to whet our appetites...... Or do you know of a link to some that already exist?

As almost everybody else at the moment I'm using composite, but I'll be swapping over to a RGB scart as soon as I can get hold of one.

I really don't want to mess around with a component splitter (360 is using mine), will RGB scart be much worse than component?

Thanks.

Same here, have the official one pre-ordered with Game and a 3rd party one pre-ordered with Amazon.

Just got my Wii today so have only tried composite, which is OK for a portable but will probably be getting Scart later.

I guess the main advantage to a component lead will be that it can be progressive scan rather than interlaced but I would suggest that it will be difficult to see the difference if you're feeding a panel that does the conversion anyway.

In theory there will be a difference but from my experience its minimal. Having said that I will probably go component later when I get a new amp that switches component.

Oh yeah, I guess I shoulda mentioned that I'm firewalled from 'gaming' sites.

What are the chances of attaching the pics on here?

I don't ask for much do I? :rolleyes:

Here you go:

zeldawiibm7.jpg

Bottom shot is component.

Certainly notice the difference alot more on your screen TBH.

I'd like to see a comparison of component vs RGB. On a TV with good quality deinterlacing, couldn't RGB (576i) actually be better than component (480p)?

I've got the Fanatec component lead on pre-order. Its released this Friday so hopefully shouldn't be too long a wait.

I've got the Fanatec component lead on pre-order. Its released this Friday so hopefully shouldn't be too long a wait.

Gone back to the 22nd im afraid.

I'd like to see a comparison of component vs RGB. On a TV with good quality deinterlacing, couldn't RGB (576i) actually be better than component (480p)?

I'm sure someone's going to correct me with some hard evidence at some point, but high quality de-interlacing of interlaced content from a gaming console will never beat slightly lower resolution progressive native content. (at a full 60 frames a second)

I only own an SD plasma and an HD projector though, so 480P via component is the obvious choice. No scaling for the plasma at all should ensure pinsharp accuracy. Hurrah!

I don't think so. As a games programmer myself (PS2 & PSP at the moment -- but I reckon the Wii works in a very similar way), I expect that the games are drawing a 480p image internally each frame, and then the various AV out circuitry is converting/scaling/interlacing that as appropriate.

Therefore, a 480p component connection should be the best as it can go straight through to the TV. An RGB 576i connection, on the other hand, would have to go through a 480p -> 576i scaling and interlace process internally on the Wii before it gets deinterlaced on the TV side.

No.

RGB 576i is 50 fields per second of 720x288 pixels = 10.4 million pixels per second.

Component 480p is 60 fields per second of 720x480 pixels = 20.7 million pixels per second.

It's a shame they don't support 576p for extra resolution, but at 50Hz it would be jerkier than 480p and still output 20.7 million pixels per second.

480p over component will provide the best quality output with the fastest refresh rate out of Nintendo Wii, it's got twice the visual information of 576i over RGB.

StooMonster

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom