What LCD to use for HD gaming? Refresh IMPORTANT!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by ColSonders, Aug 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. ColSonders

ColSonders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, i'm looking at getting an HD TV for PS3 (and possibly xbox360). I looked at Samsungs slim fit CRT today and was utterly dissapointed at the sharpness of the picture when running a 360 HD signal compared to the same signal input to an LCD screen.

Anyway, the TV is to be used almost exclusively for gaming (when not used for gaming it will be used by others who don't care about picture quality), so refresh rate is of the upmost importance, i've hung on hoping that the CRT HD Ready TV's would be great but the detail in the picture is not there, I can't really afford a decent Plasma screen, and I don't really want a screen any bigger than around 32" because of the size of room it will be in, so LCD looks like the only choice.

So i've looked at LCD screens before, owned one for a very short period of time, I really hate the refresh problems of them, is there a small (up to 32") LCD screen on the market that has a low enough refresh to barely notice any blurring of fast moving images? (in the same way that images don't blur on CRT's) Or am I better off keeping hold of my money for the time being?

Make/model suggestions would be greatly appreciated so I can find a shop that has them and give them a test.

2. Blacksheep1979

Blacksheep1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how much are you wanting to spend?

3. davidlavery

davidlavery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    sorry for butting in on a post but i would like to know this as well and i dont want to start a new thread if there is already one that covers it here. as for my buget i would be looking to pay about £800, but if there is anything alot better i would consider paying £1000. my telly will be used for both hd gaming for the 360 and watch telly and dvds

4. Sharpfish

Sharpfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i've been very happy with my Xbox 360 hooked up to my Toshiba wlt66 32" LCD (HDTV). I'm using component, some say VGA looks better but I wouldn't know as I don't have a cable.

The Tosh is 8ms as are most decent sets now (or even less!).

And you really do need HDTV to get the best out of the Box/ps3!

5. ColSonders

ColSonders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Really speaking as little as possible as I have the cost of the PS3 to cover still :(

Probably as much as Mr Lavery quoted, £800 mark seems about the top end I could go, maybe as high as £1000 if there was a significant improvement on the refresh blur.

Whilst I was testing the samsung slim fit I also used a Logik LCXW32HD1 so that I could see what the picture should look like, this set was £700 and IMO had very poor refresh, although I am unable to find what the refresh rate is for it, but whilst watching my mate playing burnout on 360 so I could watch I found myself feeling a little sick from the motion blur of the LCD screen.

The screen doesn't have to be anything big either, as long as it's 16:9.