What LCD to buy for playing games & watching sport?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Reed_360, Sep 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Reed_360

Reed_360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I am really new to this rather complicated scene and I'm finding it hard to seperate the wood from the trees.

In short I am looking to buy my first LCD TV. I have decided that it won't be above 40inch due to size of room and that's pretty much it in terms of definitive choices :D

The TV will be used primarily for playing my Xbox 360 and watching Sky. I don't have Sky + or Sky HD just yet but these are things I am looking at in the future. I love watching sport so football, MotoGP and golf will be high on the list of 'watched programs'

I have gone through all the normal online places to purchase and get so confused with the huge amount of choice - where do I start ?

Love the styling of the Samsung's but have heard loads of great reports about the Bravia's. Have heard that the Phillips is a good purchase (What? Hifi Sound & Vision Awards 2007) and then there are the other's - Toshiba, LG etc etc

Could someone give me some tips on what I should be looking for in the tech spec's based on how I'll be using the TV? (gaming, fast moving football etc).

Should I be waiting till the next models come out too, or would it be better picking up an older model bargain?

My budget is going to be about £1200. Do I just buy the most expensive 40incher for that price ?????

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

rgds,

Reed

2. ukbandit

ukbandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    www.*, use their hdtv selecter

3. Reed_360

Reed_360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    absolutely quality mate - asked the 3 questions top of my list ! Sport, Gaming & Movies.. (guess there isn't much else to do with a TV after all that is there..:D)

Just out of interest though, it suggested the KDL 40W2000. This seems to be the mainstay of most recommendations and good reviews upon a little investigation. Is the latest version of this TV the KDL-40W3000? Are they similar in terms of performance or just similar in what they are called ?

cheers,

4. ukbandit

ukbandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    now you've got me :D i'm concentrating on the F86 and m86 from samsung as the tV's of choice ;)

5. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    The best choice is the Sony 40D3000 with 100Hz because you watch a lot of football,racing etc...So run to catch the tv because it is being discontinued this month!!!

6. robfosters

robfosters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    If you can wait a while, I would have a look at the new 40V3000 thats due next month.

[​IMG]

7. Reed_360

Reed_360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I take it that LCD's aren't 100hz as standard then?? You actually have to look for that specific specification ??

I am going to be forced to wait unfortunatly. Final paycheck which is going to fund this purchase comes at the end of this month. It's giving me plenty of time to research the right one for me but in fairness, it's killing me :(, want it now, not next month :D

8. xxluciferxxd

xxluciferxxd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the panasonic 70 series of sets seem to handle SD and sport pretty well

9. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    Sorry but in the image is the S3000 model.Also V3000 wont have 100Hz.Anyway ont the attachment there is a correct V3000 photo

Attached Files:

10. robfosters

robfosters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Sorry for the mistake. Okay then, which of the new Sony's will have 100Hz. I'm sure I read that some of them will have 120Hz!

11. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    The new X3000/X3500 will have 100Hz

12. Reed_360

Reed_360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Why do you guys pick the 'X' range over the 'D' range ?? Any specific reasons ?

...the D3000 is really floating my boat at the moment, and at £950 on empiredirect, well within budget.

13. mixerman

mixerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, if i was u i would go 4 the philips pfl9831d/10 it is a little bit over your budget but it is a superb lcd a very good picture in sd do to is upscalers i have had one 4 nearly a year i paid £3400 4 this set u can get this set 4 1400 quid if u have checked which lcd on the hdtv checker it says this set to buy and if u get sky hd later it is superb i have seen other sets at my mates and not a patch on this set U ONLY GET WHAT U PAY 4 PLEASE BEAR THIS IN MIND clear lcd,, pixel plus hd,, dynamic motion (judder which cheaper lcd suffer from the philips is way in front as i am concerned borrow some money and go and buy it now!!!!!!!
    a happy 9831d/10 owner