1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What LCD to buy?? Budget 900-1400

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by harrisc, Jun 21, 2004.

1. harrisc

harrisc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Help needed - I'm looking to replace my 21" with a 28-30" LCD. I'm not looking for nothing to fancy as long as it has a good picture and link up my DVD, PC and Sky. The sound quality isn't essential because I'm happy to buy a little home cinema package. My budget is between £900-£1400 - any recommendation or tips on what to look for is much appreciated.

Cheers

2. s2oldskool

s2oldskool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took delivery of an LG RZ30LZ13 this morning (£1400 - top of your budget) I was a little dubious as its one of the cheaper 30" sets available, and couldn't find any reviews on this particular model, but having thrown various sources at it today (Freeview, PS2, PC) it handled them all very well. Black level isn't as quite as deep as top end LCDs, but certainly not bad - much better than I had expected.

One thing to bear in mind is that there is no RCA/BNC component input, although it does have 3 SCARTs, S-Video, VGA and DVI-D.

It comes with 2 speakers in the box, which I will probably never use, but its a nice touch that they are detachable from the screen if you want to wall mount them or just use a separate amp.

Hope this helps...

3. KrisE

KrisE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also got a RZ30LZ13 last weekend. I was generally impressed with picture quality, especially from DVD (not even a progressive scan one). However, I've just sent it back to get checked out (or rejected?) due to really bad lip-sync problems. Using a camcorder to check against my (very) old CRT, the LCD lags by 3 to 4 frames (at 25fps). That's up to 160ms, or a couple of words of rapid speech.
    If you've got a decent AV receiver with master audio delay, and never want to use the built-in speakers then fine, but otherwise you'll have to resign yourself to watching badly dubbed foreign movies all the time!
    I'm hoping this is just a fault on my set that they can fix, but I have my doubts. I'll update this forum when I get the answer.

One other thing to be aware of - the picture in picture is PC/AV only. You can't monitor 2 AV signals (not even tuner + VCR/DVD). Can't really see what use that is for most people.

Trouble is, it looked so nice and didn't take up half the room. I may just have to wait for the technology to catch up with my expectations of price & performance.

4. Lameway

Lameway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Toshiba 26" LCD (26WL36 is the full model number) for about a month and a bit now and am very happy with the picture - some of the reviews said there was saturation, colour banding etc and on default settings this is true, but after having a manual tweak just using my eyes I got a pretty good picture. After buying and using Avia the quality is amazing.

I have to admit the black levels are not perfect with a tad of backlighting the picture has been really good, with space blacks looking true.

Hope this helps! :smashin:

Lameway

5. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I went for the Phillips 23" one, can't remember the model number now but know it's about to be replaced.

Picture is generally very good and the sound is OK too. Manages some fairly good detail and blacks, especially when fed by the Netgem freeview box I've got.

Inputs. 2 scarts, one S-Video and PC D-Sub - the later not too successful, as far as I can tell there isn't a setting which matches the screens native resolution... Not very clever really. Oh and don't forget the FM tuner!

I would have thought this would be very closely related to the LG set but can't say how much by. Would have thought at least the screen is the same.

Best bit was the price. Just over £1000 including a Phillips DVDR-70 recorder from Unbeatable.

I've also seen the LG set on the web for about the same price including their DVD / Freeview surround system.

Pays to look around!