1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What LCD or Plasma ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by djerwood, Oct 19, 2005.

1. djerwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I am trying to decide what TV to buy for my new house. I will be connecting a HDMI DVD Player and eventually Sky HD and a xbox 360. After reading forums and reviews I think I have narrowed it down to 3. 2 Plasma's and 1 LCD. Anymore advice you can offer to help me decision would be much appreciated,

Pioneer PDP-436XDE
    Panasonic TH42PV500CAB
    Sony KDLV40A12 (LCD)

I realise that the Sony is the smallest but the resolution impressed me.

What do you think?
  2. Northerner76

Sep 11, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Wells, Somerset
    If you want to connect a HDMI DVD and Sky HD you might want to consider a TV with two HDMI inputs (or perhaps one HDMI and one DVI and use a VDI to HDMI converter) - currently the Toshiba 37WLT58 offers 2x HDMI and the Philips 37pf9830 offers one HDMI and one DVI (I think). The TV will also need a component input for the Xbox 360.

I am in a similar boat to you, but I probably wont get Sky HD for a year or so, so my screen will be mainly DVD, normal TV and Xbox 360. I am looking at the following TV's: JVC37DS6 (37 inch LCD), Tosh 37WLT58 (37 inch LCD) and the Samsung LE40M61 (40 inch LCD - not yet out)

Personally I would steer clear of Plasma, but that is only because I am still wary of screen burn (even though I know the new panels are far less susceptible) and their lifespan (although I know 50,000+ hours equates to years and years of viewing)

Looking at the TV's you are considering your budget will stretch to the Philips 37PF9830 - If I had £2.5k to spend thats what I would probably get (although the large screen surround does take some getting used to)

As for the Sony KDLV you mention - head to the LCD forum and you will see avery long thread about this unit - its got its lovers and its haters

Final point - response time will be an issue for Xbox 360 gaming... the 37 inch version of the Philips has a quoted response of 6ms (but I am not sure if this is grey to grey of soem other measure) - anyway that is pretty darn quick - should result in no smear.

If the 37 inch TV's aren't big enough there is also a 42 inch version of the philips but you will need deep pockets.