What LCD is the best for Standard Definition?

Nick4704

Standard Member
Hi guys

I need to choose a LCD TV (sorry, no plasma) for living room. Unfortunately most of the time (70%) TV will be used for SD channels like news channels.
Viewing distance will be aprox 2.5m (8-9ft), but I think I should go for 46-47". (nobody complains that TV is too big :) Please correct me if this size is completely wrong.
I don't really need 3D, but prefer good 2D quality. Viewing angles are important, but i did not notice any problems with viewing angles with Samsung in the shop
Unfortunatelly Sony HX850/853 is too expensive here.
My options are
LG 47LM760 (nice design, hope it is better than 670 for SD, contrast?)
Samsung 46ES6800 (backlight bleed problems, absolutely glossy)
Philips 47PFL6007 (SD processing is unknown, poor SmartTV, contrast?)
Panasonic L47ET60 (Panasonic LCD is not very popular in my country, can't understand if it is better than LG and Philips overall, contrast again)

Sorry I can check this in the shop, all TVs are running Full HD demos only.
Sales guys claim that Sony is the best, then Philips then others... but I think their opinion is based on hi-end models or is outdated.

Thank you.
Nick

tvbox

Distinguished Member
In terms of the Panasonic, since you don't need 3d then you can go for the TXL47E6 (no'T'), or E5 if you can get hold of it.
SD Picture quality should be good, I have an ET5 and am happy with it.

I don't know a great deal about Samsung and LG, but I'd stay away from Philips, they just aren't that famous for decent tvs.

Nick4704

Standard Member
Hi
Thank you for your reply.
The situation is different in my country. 1. Sony 2. Philips. 3.LG/Samsung Panasonic? We don't have that in the store :)

So Panasonic ET60 is my primary option now. What is the main difference between ET60 and ET6? I noticed that ET6 has 100Hz BLB instead of 600Hz BLS. Do I need that?
What do you think about viewing distance vs diagonal? Will L47ET60 will be not too big for viewing at 1.7-2.5m. Should I go for 42" hET60/E6 instead?

Nick

vickster

Distinguished Member
I'd say 47" is too big from 7ft especially if watching standard def. I know some people will disagree. Also, be sure to check the viewing angles. Ref all the processing stuff, most people end up turning it down or off so whether its worth paying more for it, who knows!

Nick4704

Standard Member
I'd say 47" is too big from 7ft especially if watching standard def. I know some people will disagree. Also, be sure to check the viewing angles. Ref all the processing stuff, most people end up turning it down or off so whether its worth paying more for it, who knows!

Thank you for reply. :smashin:
I understand that 47" for SD from 7ft is insane maybe. The problem is that it will be both news channels and movies HD/FHD.
Points for bigger size:
1. modern tvs have small bezel, so 47" feels like 3 year old 42"
2. nobody complains that tv is too big usually
3. price difference is not that big now
4. Tv channels move to HD slowly
5 THX advises even bigger screen!

So question for everybody: what diagonal you have, what is your viewing distance and would you buy a bigger screen now?

Good point for processing stuff. So where is the sweet spot from your point of view? What brand/model?

Thank you.
Nick

vickster

Distinguished Member
I have a 46" from about 8ft. I wouldn't want bigger. I was some SD but its pretty awful. Your post title asks for a tv for SD, hence my reply. Bigger screen for HD , so blu ray not TV where the HD channels aren't 1080p

Buy the tv you want :) your post suggests you want the 47" so buy it...

Nick4704

Standard Member
Buy the tv you want :) your post suggests you want the 47" so buy it...

Hi
The problem is that I don't know what size I want, I have 32" and it is too small. My friends' recommendations start from 32" till 55" (for 3D) for 8.2 viewing distance. Of course 46/47" would look great on the wall like design element and FHD demo videos in the store look great, but I need real life advises. I will do Tv broadcasts and movies DVD/720p/1080p 50%/30%/20%. I'm sure this ratio will change towards 1080p.
That's why I'm asking your opinion of real life usage.
I'm not asking for the right opinion I ask for your subjective opinion based on your experience.
thank you

Nick

P.S>
And that's why I'm asking about best TV that can do SD (and 720p) content, cause even in 2013 most of the movies I can get are not in 1080p.

Last edited:

Ossie77

Why not have a look at the new Panasonic L42E6B? The SD picture quality is supposed to be excellent. There are many reviews on the internet which all recommend it for SD viewing. I saw it demo'd on Saturday. I was shown a 720p clip of football and to me it looked just a tad off the clarity of HD. I can vouch for the HD picture as I saw Avatar through blu-ray. I was literally dumb-founded.
Maybe the 42" screen would be right for 8ft SD viewing?

Nick4704

Standard Member
Why not have a look at the new Panasonic L42E6B? ..............
Maybe the 42" screen would be right for 8ft SD viewing?

Thank you Ossie77! Research already in progress, I'm considering E6b as Nr 1 now! Unfortunately I don't have a possibility to see it in person, I can order it online only.
E6b price is good, but I can afford ET60. The main issues with E6b are:
1. Viewing angles.
Can you comment/compare viewing angles of E6b? I was in the shop and checked Sony HX75 series, I noticed only minor color wash out at angles beyond 40. TV is absolutely watchable! I couldn't find significant issues with Sammy ES6500/6800 either. Maybe it was too bright in the room. If E6b performs the same it is ok, cause I will not watch films at such a big angle, news channels only.
2. 100Hz only with backlight blinking (50Hz actually). Can't understand if I need more. Will I see flickering like on old CRT TV?
3. Deinterlacing problem mention by Steve. What's that?
4. Limited gamut may be. Steve's words about MU red shirts.
So I'm between E6b, ET60 and some Sammy models like 6500/6800 now.

Can you (anybody) explain about broadcast artifacts I saw in the shop, like
1. Watching Eurosport HD football match there are squares around ball/players like overcompressed MPEG. I think the strongest effect was on Sony HX853, almost no effect on cheapest LG set.
What's that? Is that frame interpolation techology adding artifacts to the picture? Is that deinterlacing problem?
2.Watching non HD news channel I saw characters have halos on the running string. What is that?

I realized that I can't understand what TV set review says to me. Interlacing/scaling/trailing :oops:

Ossie77

I am by no means an expert on TV technology myself so you are better off hearing it from someone who really knows because otherwise I might give you wrong info. I'll have a go and those who really know feel free to poke some fun and explain properly!!!

'Scaling' - as I understand it (in my limited way!) is about converting a 720(or lower) pixel image into a 1080 pixel image.
This means 'creating' 360 new pixels to fill out the screen. The quality of the 'upscaled' image will depend on the technology inside the TV. I told you I didn't know much about it!

'Trailing' - I think this refers to moving images in dark scenes leaving a visible distortion or 'trail' just behind it. From what I have read the E6B does not suffer from this.

'Viewing Angle' - I have read the e6b has quite a narrow viewing angle. I didn't pay any attention to this when I went to inspect it as it is not a concern for me so sorry I can't advise you more accurately. The online reviews should have the info you need regarding this. I do know there was a guy here on AVForums who sent his E6B back because of the poor viewing angles.

I have NO idea what interlacing is!

'Colour Gamut' - When I had the E5B I did notice that the colour red was never very red! It was always slightly pink. Samsung I know have very vibrant colours on their TV's. However, this is not always better. Pixar or Disney movies will look fabulous on a Samsung but the grass of a football pitch might look overly green and artificial looking. Panasonic are famous for a more muted 'natural' handling of colour. eg. I watched a Nigel Slater cookery programme on BBC HD in the Panasonic Store. He was preparing a red pepper salad and the realism was simply astonishing. A Samsung might 'overcook' (haha) the red in the pepper leaving it looking unreal. Some people would prefer that so it depends what you want from TV!
'ET60 Vs. E6B' - The E6B, according the the reviews I have read, has better black levels and contrast. If you want 3d and are willing to sacrifice quality of 2d then it might be a good choice but if you're not fussed with 3d I would go with the E6B.

I think you might find this link to a video review of the L42E6B useful;

Panasonic TX-L42E6B Review 42-inch Smart LED TV TXL42E6B | TV Settings

Anyway, all I know is that after researching TV's for 4 months I would go out and buy the E6B in a flash if I could.
It ticks all the boxes for me!
Why not order online from John Lewis? Then if it didn't meet your expectations you could return it?

Nick4704

Standard Member
Hi Ossie
Please share your experience.
Panasonic 6Eb reviews are so good so looks like I'll pick it as 42" option, thanks Ossie!
But I need backup option for 46/47" because most of my friends push me to bigger size. What can you recommend?
What TV would you recommend in 46/47 size?
Again I need good all-rounder LCD TV SD broadcasts/news during the day and some film in dimmed too, never absolutely dark, I don't really need 3D, but I'm ready to pay if 2D picture is better on 3D TV. Better with good out-of-the-box calibration. Slim design is very welcome.
I have a budget for Samsung 46ES6800, Panasonic 47ET60 price category (prices vary country to country) Sony HX853 is too expensive.

Do you have E5b? What can you say good/bad about that TV? What about black levels and contrast? You said dimming is bad, is it possible to turn it off?

Thank you.
Nick

Ossie77

Hi Nick. We meet again!
With regards to the E5B, I did have the 32" model but not only was it too small it just wasn't the whole package I wanted from a TV. The calibration controls were inadequate in my opinion. That said the actual picture quality was very good. The contrast was jaw-dropping. Personally, I wouldn't buy the L37E5b in the sale though. Can the dimming be turned off? When I'm spending over £500 that's not a risk I think I should have to take!
I'm sorry but I haven't been looking at TV's over 40" so I can't offer much help!
The E6 is available in 50"!!!

tvbox

Distinguished Member
Hi Nick. We meet again!
With regards to the E5B, I did have the 32" model but not only was it too small it just wasn't the whole package I wanted from a TV. The calibration controls were inadequate in my opinion. That said the actual picture quality was very good. The contrast was jaw-dropping. Personally, I wouldn't buy the L37E5b in the sale though. Can the dimming be turned off? When I'm spending over £500 that's not a risk I think I should have to take!
I'm sorry but I haven't been looking at TV's over 40" so I can't offer much help!
The E6 is available in 50"!!!

The dimming can be turned off by using True Cinema mode, which, inevitably, is preferred by the majority of reviews and the like.

In order for the tv to display more calibration controls you need to go to Menu->Setup and then there will be an option there that displays them, something like "Advanced picture control" or something.

Ossie77

I tinkered around for ages with the advanced settings but just could not get the picture I wanted. I felt that with a back light control it would allow me to add 'punch' where necessary. For example, animated movies were seriously lacking in colour. 'True Cinema' gives a very yellowish tinge to the picture which is not what Pixar/Disney films need!
The E5 just lacked the versatility I was looking for. For sports it was fantastic though.

Ossie77

Just out of interest why have you discounted plasma? The Panasonic plasma's from last year were supposed to be the best TV's money can buy and are now in sale. If I could find room for a TV over 42" I would definitely be looking at what plasma has to offer.

Nick4704

Standard Member
Hi
You did research for 40" sizes so all the Samsungs have 46" model too, it will work for me.

I don't want Plasma because:
1. No 46-47" and 50" is too much for 8ft viewing distance (still discussable)
2. Watch TV with lights on most of the time.
3. Watch news/broadcast - afraid of logo retention. i have a friend with old Samsung plasma - TV3 logo on all channels, despite his attemts to clean screen with special retention cleaning function :)
4. Power consumption
5. I found 4 pcs plasma screens only in 7 shops in my city.

I would go for Plasma if I need screen more than 50" or if I watch films only, in a dark room.
Nick

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom