1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What LCD for reliability and bulb life please?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dubbing Mixer, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have been asked to recommend a projector for a very untechnical newb. Don't want to risk the 'rainbows' so I'm looking for an LCD with excellent reliability and bulb life with PQ as the secondary concern. This forum has always kept me up to date with the best 'bang for the buck' for those primarily concerned with PQ so, if that were the main concern, I could work it out for myself. This is a little different so I'm hoping some of you may be able to help.

Short throw would be helpful

Thanks in advance.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Could you indicate the sort of budget your friend has, there's a good spread between the bottom and top end of the price range.

3. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the quick post.

Ideally, we are talking low end, I.e. £1k or less, but if the reliability and lamp life requirements cannot be met at this level, then the budget is elastic up to say, £3k.

Ease of use is also an issue.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I would say AE700 and get a spare bulb easily in budget............ however HS50 is coming and supposed to be incredible.... we will have to wait and see. up to £3k lots and lots of choice.........

5. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks for comments so far.

Remembering the fun and games with AE100s, should I be worrying about reliability with current Panasonic projectors?

Friend has already seen AE 100 and is happy with the PQ. Reliability and lamp cost are the priorities. Please remember, this guy is not all that bothered about PQ, much more interested in longevity and running costs.

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    He could try an Optoma 739 - in ecomode it offers up to 5000hrs per bulb. It has a 3yr swap-out type warranty (you'd have to check the details), so reliability should be covered (at least for 3yrs anyway), and it's around a grand or so.

However it is DLP, so if rainbow effect is a major consideration then.......I suppose LCD it is. Personally I think the warranty offered by certain Jap manufacturers stinks - but there you go!!

7. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks, Mike, for the helpful tip. Unfortunately rainbows are an issue so I'm no further forward.

I'm thinking about either the Hitachi or maybe an Epson. Or am I unwise to dismiss Sony and Matsu****a? Maybe it is just the sheer volume they sell that makes problems with them seem more frequent?

8. Delh68

Delh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    i've got the epson tw10h (circa £600) - bulb lasts up to 3000 hrs in theatre black mode, costs £140 (can let u know if u like) to replace (instructions in manual, fairly straightforward), & a 3 yr warranty on the projector, with next working day promise.

Have Sky, dvd recorder, dvd player connected no probs

Delh

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I wouldnt dismiss a brand because they are sucessful........ Nice things about panny AE500 and 700 is very very easy to use, and have excellent connectivity SCART etc..... take out an extended warranty for piece of mind and buy a bulb now for double life.......... otherwise commercial LCD units are close to top end of budget and have good bulb life.........

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    For less than a £1000 he could look at the Sanyo Z2. Like the AE500 et. al. its' been superseded by the Z3 which has advantages, however the Z2 is still a fine machine and of course is now being discounted .. Nexnix also sell it with 3 yrs on-site warranty if that's an interesting 'feature' for your mate.

11. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks to all!

In view of your collective comments I shall further investigate the Epson TW10, the Panasonic AE500/700 and the Sanyo Z2. Many thanks, also for the tips on where to get them with long warranties plus get two bulbs etc.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    TADL offer extended warranties so you can add it to any PJ

13. SinisterRocket

SinisterRocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure id go for the Sanyo Z2. I got less than 300 hours out of my bulb. I have been told buy both Sevenoak where i purchased and had install it and Sanyo that 300 is within noraml usage and not coverd buy warranty. They also want £400 to replace the bulb.

14. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    that sounds like cobblers to me. I would suggest you push them on this. If you buy a car with a 10 year paint warranty you expect it to go 10 years without rusting. It's not exactly the same I know, but 300 hours is nothing in terms of bulb life. My Panny AE100 has gone 2 years used EVERY DAY and is still on its original bulb. at your rate of useage it waould have cost around £1200 in bulbs by now :eek:

I would really kick up some stink about this. But don't forget the golden rules of bulb life... make sure your machine is well ventilated and always shut the PJ down properly so it cools slowly.

Chris

15. SinisterRocket

SinisterRocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris,

My Projector is ceiling mounted, which was done by sevenoaks. Its always been switched off the correct way. Also never been switched back on after switching it off.

http://tinypic.com/2jrkm

16. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Rocket

Your mounting looks fine and is unlikely to lead to overheating. So...

I'd possibly canvas a few other stores to see what constitutes average life. If a bulb is quoted at 2000 hours or whatever, I'd expect it to perform to a reasonable % of that. 300 hours does not seem that reasonable, especially with the replacement costs of the bulb.

Chris

17. Tup

Tup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If lamp life is a priority, then go with the new Panasonic AE700. It is supposedly at the zenith of current LCD tech. and has compensated for many of LCD flaws...like screen door. The bulb has a rating of 3000 hours in high lamp and 5000 hours in economy....that's very good and I wouldn't worry about buying a replacement lamp right away....you may sell it before you use up the first bulb...plus bulb prices may come down.

As for the Z2....I have 950 hours on mine with no prob (knock knock) and I know someone with just about 2000 hours....so like anything...it can be a matter of luck.

18. jaybee6

jaybee6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest, I have an Themescene H30 and the bulb went after 250 hours, they tried to charge me £300+ for a bulb and I refused and kicked up a fuss. 4 days later projector was delivered back with new bulb and no invoice! I have to admit my experience with the bulb life thing has left me feeling annoyed, I purchased as a replacement for a CRT and have now gone back to using the TV and the PJ for films only.
    JB