1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What LCD 30-32" - Help Needed

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by hogan, May 1, 2005.

1. hogan

hogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI Guys,

I've finally decided to ditch the old CRT set, well when I say decided it blew up so It kind of made my mind up for me, & could really do with some help in deciding which LCD screen to invest in.

I'm looking at the lower end so my budget is really £1200 at very tops and I'd like to get a 30-32" screen, please oh please can you people with a bit of knowledge lead me in the right direction regarding models, price, and where to purchase from as other than what I've read I really am struggling to decide what to go for.

Cheers

2. tosh hunter

tosh hunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi....

I am looking in the same price range.....go for a 32 inch....

Best sets at that price are ----

Hitachi -- 32ld7200

Toshiba - 32wl56

Sony - KLV32M

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Hitachi seems to be hadr to ignore...it does everything you'd ever want and seems to do it pretty well! I havn't tested it myself, but, if I was you, have a good read at the Hitachi threads and get the feedback there.

I would normally have added the Philips 9976 to this list, but it may be too expensive and it's performance may not be that much better than the Hitachi. Check it out.

Jimmy

4. hogan

hogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. Am i being niave in assuming a Hitachi won't be as good as a Phillips / Sony or are the 'not so popular' brands competing at a good level on LCD?

Please guys feel free to drop any comments you think may help as I could really do with as much 'expert' advice as possible when it comes to set & where to purchase from.

5. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Personally, I would put hitachi at the same level as Sony, Panasonic, Phillips etc. I'm not being biased (honest), even though i do have a hitachi, but I have really rated them as a good brand for quite a while now.

In my mind, there are two main 'bands' of manufacturer; the 'main' brands (mentioned above + others) and the 'lower' brands, eg. Video7, DiBoss, traditional computer manufacturers such as Acer, Relisys, BenQ etc etc etc.

In terms of the actual products, the old saying of "you get what you pay for" will ring true to a certain extent, but I would certainly not write off a product entirely because of the name. A lot of these products originate from the same factory, and I'm sure you will be suprised at the quality of the so-called 'lower' quality ones.

I would decide on a price band to aim for, then test the suitable sets in that range, irrespective of brand. But if I may take this opportunity to be completely, absolutely, 100% biased, the Hitachi 32LD7200 is excellent!!!!!

matt

6. Zigster

Zigster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree with the first two sets that tosh hunter mentioned but I probably wouldn't go for the Sony. I haven't seen it in action (other than in a shop) but its spec is a bit behind the game - no HDMI (so not HD Ready for if/when you take the plunge).

(I also thought it was 15:9 not 16:9 but the spec on sony.co.uk says it is 16:9 - thought I ought to check.)

What about the Humax LGB32-TPVR? Built in Freeview (twin tuners) and 40GB hard-disk! I think retal is about £1,500 but presumably you can get cheaper if you shop around.

7. StevePritchard

StevePritchard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat - looking to replace a cRT with a budget of around £1,200 pounds. The Toshiba looks about £150 cheaper - so are there good reasons to pay the extra and go for the Hitachi?

Cheers,

Steve.

8. hogan

hogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once again thanks for the advice.

Does anyone else have any recommendations on sets etc.. as I have to say I'm starting to sway towards the Hitachi although I'd still feel a little more comfortable with buying a bigger brand name such as Sony, Philips or Toshiba.

Are all the sets already mentioned HD Ready or am I being niave expecting that to be included for my £1200 budget.

Come on guys help me out.....:eek:)

9. tosh hunter

tosh hunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :cool:

OK, ok, i will carry one where i left off..........

The Hitachi is HD ready as it has both HDMI and a component input

The Toshiba has HDMI, but as it has no component input, it is not entirely HD ready, altough EICTA have now changed their requirements, so it is (confused so is everyone....see my earlier posts on HD ready changes)

The sony does not have hdmi input, so u may want to avoid it....

Basically I would say its a toss up between the Hitachi and Toshiba....

BUT if u feel more comfortable with buying a tosh, go for that because unless your a techy, you won't be bothered about the component, as u can pipe DVD thru the HDMI, and use RGB for SKY or NTL.........

Buy what u are comforatble with...if u are uneasy with the Hit lcd then don't get it.............

Most people will think that if it isnt SOny it is not good.....only people in the know how appreciate the spec and value for money

ANyway that is enough for u to ponder.......

:hiya:

10. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    £899 Samsung LE32A41BX is HD ready according to Comet site.

11. hogan

hogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tosh Hunter, you certainly seem to talk a lot of sense and with the recommendations everyone is giving the Hitachi is starting to look the business.......just gotta try to persuade the missus that a non Sony / Phillips tv will be just as impressive to any guests!!

Wayne, you mention the Samsung LE32A41BX for £899, where are you getting that price as wherever I see it it's £1250+??