Quantcast

Question What Laptop would you get for general stuff

_Dragon_

I might get myself a laptop just as a back up and for general things like light picture editing/music and some films mainly netflix. Would be useful for surfing the net when i'm not at home.

Reliable
Screen Size no smaller than a "15"
SSD with plenty of storage

Last edited:

DavidG1

If you want an SSD with plenty of storage and a 15" screen you will need to up your budget

_Dragon_

Thanks going to have to think about if I want to spend more than £400 on a laptop as I have my PC for my main things. At the moment I'm away from my home alot more.

THX1138UK

The difference in performance between inexpensive (£400) and expensive (£1200) laptops is surprisingly similar. Your are paying a premium for small and lightweight, build quality (aluminium vs plastic body) and screen quality more than anything else.

For a general purpose laptop (not suitable for gaming), make sure you get a newer generation Intel Core I5 processor, at least 8 GB of RAM and at least 250 GB SSD. Don't get a machine with a Hard disk drive or hybrid drive. Dell, HP, Lenovo, & Microsoft Surface devices will cost more than Asus, Acer, Fujitsu etc.

While AMD offer some really competitive processors on desktop machines, they are lacking when it comes to laptops.

What you end up paying, is really down to how important anesthetics are to you.

Regards,
James.

_Dragon_

Cheers THX:)

A made the mistake of getting a hard disk drive for my daughter 4 or 5 years ago. Hsr one is so slow and annoying.

I'm still on the look out for one, I do have my eye on the Asus X509FA-EJ079T

I've a cheap Lenovo B50-50 I've had for a couple of years, it's good enough for what I want, plus a Maxtor hard drive I've had much longer. It's seen out a PC and an HP laptop.
I don't keep much on the laptop, anything of value to me is on the Maxtor and a couple of USB sticks just in case.

DavidG1

Why does Say HP cost more than Asus is it just because of the name or are HP built better?
There is the brand name of course - in general you tend to get what you pay for - most price differences are due to different specs more/less memory, higher definition screen, SSD/HDD better quality case, better battery life etc

Top Bottom