1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Kit would best match a Kef 5005 setup?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DangerMouse!, Aug 22, 2004.

1. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :lease: Can any one please suggest some kit for a set of Kef 5005's I just purchased

I am after a good movie system as well as something to replace my entry level NAD / Evo music system

I have demo'd

Pio AX5i with the matching 868i DVD player
    Very exciting sound but I am not sure if it would be to bright for long term, I couldn't really tell with such a short demo.
    Anyone with this setup with Kef5005?

Arcam AVR300 with an Acram DVD player
    Very british not so brash and "in yer face" as the as the Pio setup but seemed to have a little more detail
    Anyone with this setup with Kef5005?

Any other ideas for systems?

Thanks.

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i found pioneer seem to be a very good partner for kef speakers in general.

3. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What about the AX5 & Kef 5005 specifically?

I am also tempted by the cheaper options of a Yamaha AX-750 or Yamaha RX-V2400

Has anyone paired these with the 5005's?

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I demo'd the Denon 3805 with the 5005's and they sounded great - really suited each other IMO.

However, my plan was to get the update to the AX5i (the AX5Ai) as I wanted i-link.

My plans seem to have changed again as ideally want an amp with hdmi switching which should be making its way to the next gen of Denon receivers.

I've therefore decided to buy a stop-gap amp until I can purchase one with this function. I'm thinking of the Yamaha 750 too and wondered how it sounded. I'll have to try and give it a demo, as I have no experience of how a Kef and Yamaha go together. Anyone?

5. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Denon eh? Mmmm even more confused what to do now.

When is the new Denon & AX5Ai out?

What is "hdmi switching"?

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    The new range of Denon's will not be out until next year, probably around March.

The Pioneer AX5Ai will be out by October and will have Pro-Logic IIx, video up conversion, advanced MCACC and a better chassis.

HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) switching will enable 2 sources to be connected to the amp and one feed coming out. For example the up and coming Marantz 8500 will have DVI switching (which only carries a video signal - no audio) 2 in, 1 out. This will only become important when more components carry DVI/HDMI. Top end DVD players have them at the moment, but other devices in the future will have them too i.e. satellite receivers.

Hope that makes some sense :lesson:

7. scanneb

scanneb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tejstar - intrigued by your comment on HDMI switching. I currently have a Pioneer PDP434HDE screen but media receiver only allows one HDMI or component connection - any other connection has to be via scart. I currently connect my DV868Ai DVD player to the HDMI input, which means all other connections have to be on scart.

Ideally I would like an AV receiver that would include an HDMI output with HDMI input / passthrough together with video scaling / upconversion for other component / RGB / S-video / composite inputs. It sounds as though the Marantz you mention may be ok - so long as I can get hold of a DVi - HDMI cable!

Could you point me towards specifications for Marantz (technical, availability and price) and are you aware of any other processors or receivers that might be suitable? Is there any imminent prospect of anything from Pioneer that would suit?

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Hi scanneb, unfortunately the only receiver officially announced with some kind of DVI/HDMI switching is the Marantz but even here the details are sketchy. Check out this link for further info.

As to anything from Pioneer, I see that as very unlikely as the new range certainly hasn’t got it (released in the next couple of months or so), so it'll be a long wait to see this functionality from Pioneer - probably at least until next summer!

9. scanneb

scanneb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks - I'll have a look at the Marantz. I had a look at the spec for the VSX-AX5Ai, which offers video conversion but only for analogue signals and there are several options with that functionality now available.

10. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    After demo's of the AX5i, AVR300, 2805 & AX-750
    I didn't have time for the HK, RX-1400 or 3805 (Read a review of this & saw the remote and now wish I tried that out as well, may have been a good match)

In the end I went for the Yamaha RX-V2400 with a Kef 6.1 setup. I went the Yam too counter-act the brightness of the speakers and the brightness of the room (hardwood floors ect). The Arcam may have been a better choice but £500 more. The package cost just over £2k for the lot (Amp, Speakers,£400 of free cabling) from Creative audio which I think was a good deal.

Trouble is now it's all setup in a smallish (15ft) L-shaped room the misses isn't happy, can see why, the speakers looked smaller in large demo room's and were not placed in front of cream walls.

I have not had a chance to test it out fully yet, just a few demo scenes & cd tracks, but it sounds fantastic even with my 5 year old budget DVD player, next upgrade when I can afford it.

11. paulp1

paulp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Demod the Yam 750 SE and the KEF 5005 today Superb!