• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What kind of surround sound processor to buy?

RobBromley

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm new here, so apologies if I've posted in the wrong place and started with an idiot's question!

I currently run audio from my computers, Sky+ HD and PS3 through a Rotel RC-06 which outputs to four Yamaha HS80M speakers and a large powered sub. I have HDMI outputs from the Sky and PS3 to the TV directly, with phono connections from the TV and computers to the pre-amp (not ideal for the TV connected devices).

I'm really happy with the sound of it, as the majority of my listening and work is music via computer. However, I'd like to add the capability of 5.1 surround but keeping my studio monitors for music work.

Is there a surround sound processor out there which anyone could recommend which would take two HDMI inputs, three phono inputs and output in the appropriate way according to source? I can't lose my stereo capability, so the device must "know" when it's listening to a music track as opposed to a movie soundtrack.

I'd obviously have to get a suitable centre speaker as well, would it be better to get another HS80M, or something lower profile that could sit in front of the TV?

Many thanks for taking the time to read, and hopefully reply!

Rob
Edit: Oh for budget, anything under £2k

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom