What kind of subs do they use in clubs and bars

phil2009

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking this on fri night when I was out, the wattage of the sub/subs must be huge?

I couldnt see any subs just speakers the size of bookshelfs, and then I thought they must have bigger speakers somewhere to produce that kind of volume??

The things I think about hey???

You will probably find Club and bar subs tend to be more bass bins than subs, that are designed for higher output rather than much depth, although that is something of a sweeping statement. Clubs with smaller rooms like Amika (I did their website) use Artcoustic speakers and subwoofers which are more at home, well in the home :).

Adam

Last edited:
You are actually quite talented for a mean gun slinger! :smashin:

Bright_eyes_ Burning like a fire_ tra-la. :)

Thanks, the client ended up messing around with it after it was complete so it isn't as good as I had hoped but all in all not too bad. :)

They never sent me an invite though :thumbsdow

Adam

Hi,

I have a small 'pre-club/chillout bar in Romania. (with another on the way :)).

It's true that many clubs use the Bass-Bin type, but we opted for consumer gear and use decent floorstanders combined with a few bookshelf speakers, hooked up to a Marantz amp and Van Damme cable. On the weekends this is cranked up high, and with the led club lights on, it's just like a small club :)

Our new bar will use an XXLS 400 sub, no floorstanders, just bookshelf speakers. This bar is more of a club though, so we wanted somthing with a bit more power, but the quality is as important as ever. You'd be surprised how many people comment on the sound quality in our first bar...they love it! :) - as do I, which is why I never leave the place when I'm over there, and play the music I like to hear :D

(thanks to Russ for the advice on the XXLS 400, that beauty is on route to me now!).

I used to work at a club that used Funktion one speakers,having a backround in high-end home audio I was very impresed with the sound from the system.
I have an Artcoustic Spitfire sub that is used in a few bars.
Funktion one have a sub that is designed to fit under seating (booth type).
I would say the most important thing a club could do is limit the sound system better then they do.Too many bars/clubs have systems that are under powered,over driven or have subs sunk into walls with no damping (giving off a loud rattle when driven hard).
Funny that one of the best sytems I have heard in a bar was useing b&w speakers with Rotel power amps:eek:.I went back to this bar last week and that system has now been replaced with Funktion one.Shame I never got to hear it as well as I wanted due to it only being used at the time for backround music.

Hi,

I have a small 'pre-club/chillout bar in Romania. (with another on the way :)).

It's true that many clubs use the Bass-Bin type, but we opted for consumer gear and use decent floorstanders combined with a few bookshelf speakers, hooked up to a Marantz amp and Van Damme cable. On the weekends this is cranked up high, and with the led club lights on, it's just like a small club :)

Our new bar will use an XXLS 400 sub, no floorstanders, just bookshelf speakers. This bar is more of a club though, so we wanted somthing with a bit more power, but the quality is as important as ever. You'd be surprised how many people comment on the sound quality in our first bar...they love it! :) - as do I, which is why I never leave the place when I'm over there, and play the music I like to hear :D

(thanks to Russ for the advice on the XXLS 400, that beauty is on route to me now!).

A xxls 400 in a club!!! How loud are you gonna have it, cos Ive just learnt with my xls200 on a previous thread I cant crank up me 50watt speakers to the max without the sub falling behind. But the xxls 400 125watts more powerfull then the xls200, plus if you have more then 1 xxls 200, it will take off some of the load.

Sometime I might upgrade mine to a xxls 400

Last edited:
:)
It's not a club in the traditional sense. The club 'area' of our new bar is a large room. We play for the enjoyment of the music, not the volume..it will be loud, yes, but nowhere near a typical night club I'd find down my local Broad Street :D

In a smaller venue, as I've learnt, even good quality floorstanders at good volume levels, great music, good light system etc, help create a wonderful atmosphere.

Can't wait to get the XXLS400. Should be any day now. If anybody would like, I'll do an 'out of box' thread with photo's?

:)
It's not a club in the traditional sense. The club 'area' of our new bar is a large room. We play for the enjoyment of the music, not the volume..it will be loud, yes, but nowhere near a typical night club I'd find down my local Broad Street :D

In a smaller venue, as I've learnt, even good quality floorstanders at good volume levels, great music, good light system etc, help create a wonderful atmosphere.

Can't wait to get the XXLS400. Should be any day now. If anybody would like, I'll do an 'out of box' thread with photo's?

i wouldnt mind a little thread an some pics. Goin for the same sub in near future. (maybe 2:devil:)..

I wont get involved in discussions of interruption of normal conversation and ear damage from regular attendance at night clubs and bars... but.. the provision of high quality sound makes more sense than deafening the guest and irritating neighbours with a boom box. If the source of the sound can be kept to specific area then those who wish to talk can distance themselves from the system. The worst possible arrangement is small speakers spread around the entire space since it denies anybody the ability to escape from the usual cacophony. High quality sound can avoid the need for high volumes just to make it seem exciting. Many inferior systems only come alive when driven hard. The higher the sound quality the lower the listening levels for enjoyment without having to compete with voices being raised to a hoarse roar.

I think it was 'Tomorrow's World' where they showed the advantages of 'In Ceiling' speakers in clubs that could not be heard at all once you stepped away from the dancefloor.

Not sure why it didn't take off, perhaps people like the 'Atmosphere' of loud music even when they are not dancing?

Adam :)

I used to work at a club that used Funktion one speakers,having a backround in high-end home audio I was very impresed with the sound from the system.

Funktion one have a sub that is designed to fit under seating (booth type).

Funktion one are one of the finest speakers for any application, highly recomended and produce a great cinema sound for larger rooms. See here.

Dupe...

I've been in a couple of clubs that have had Phazon soundsystems, and they have sounded unbelievable.

Fabric in London has bass speakers under the floor in one of the rooms - stand on the wrong part of the dancefloor during a bassy track and your legs go like spaghetti!

I've been in a couple of clubs that have had Phazon soundsystems, and they have sounded unbelievable.

Fabric in London has bass speakers under the floor in one of the rooms - stand on the wrong part of the dancefloor during a bassy track and your legs go like spaghetti!

iirc, Kenwood used to have a lorry inc trailer! that they used for demo's and in that they had x10 12 or 10" Subs in a huge perspex box under the floor and if you stood on it whilst cranked up it made you feel quite ill :eek:
Nothing to do with the thread mind you, but worth noting for a giggle as it really was quite mad :cool:

That sounds vaguely familiar... I'm sure I've seen something like that at Brands Hatch many many years ago.

We use 2 18" powered D.A.S audio subs in the downstairs club working with 6 D.A.S audio main speakers. In the upstairs smaller bar we use just 1 D.A.S 15" powered sub with 8 smaller D.A.S main speakers.

You will probably find Club and bar subs tend to be more bass bins than subs, that are designed for higher output rather than much depth, although that is something of a sweeping statement. Clubs with smaller rooms like Amika (I did their website) use Artcoustic speakers and subwoofers which are more at home, well in the home :).

Adam

I tried to have a look at the website but you appear to have done it in flash which means I can't view it on my iPad ;)

Yeah that site is years old, not sure why they haven't updated it already :)

EV PA equipment http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...2YDIBQ&usg=AFQjCNHCwcS9FOtN3lF21jb6PnxqahV1mg
upload_2013-12-9_21-29-39.jpeg
upload_2013-12-9_21-29-58.jpeg
They usually go down between 30 an 40hz.

There are a lots of speaker manufacturers who make PA for gigs/clubs etc, but below I have listed the MAJOR players that dominate professional live audio (in no particular order).

L'Acoustics (L-ACOUSTICS
D&B (Homepage | d&b audiotechnik
Meyer Sound (Musik Mayer Verleih-Verkauf-Installation
Martin Audio (Martin Audio Professional Loudspeaker Systems – Unite Your Audience
Nexo (www.nexo-sa.fr)

Bear in mind though, that high SPL levels of sub are hard to generate especially when required to travel long distances, and 30hz is usually the lower limit for a PA, but the sheer pressure level makes it feel lower. Most decent home theatre subs go way lower than that but with only a small space to fill and propagate through.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom