What kind of Speakers/Sound System for large football room in Africa?

janneh

Standard Member
Hi,

I would like to set up a small(ish) video club in Africa, a place for locals to watch football. I'm planning to put in a couple of TV's and/or projector and some kind of sound system. I don't have a place yet, but lets just assume the room will be approximately 30L x 15W which help up to 200 people. What kind of sound system could I use that would be heard from front to back. I don't have a big budget however, around £300 max, ideally cheaper. It doesn't have to be anything state of the art, I just want something which will be heard.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I think you budget is too small for size of room and number of people. Anything for that budget will not have enough power and will not last long at the levels you will need to run it at. You will want multiple pairs of speakers high up along the length of the room and then a stereo amp that is able to run them (maybe a multi zone stereo amp). You really either want a 100v system or some kind of pa system.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I'm inclined to agree with PSM1, £300 in any currency is simply not enough for what you describe. You could perhaps get something tolerable for about £500, though very minimal.

You also have to consider that the ambient level of 200 people (or 50 people) is relatively high, so you need enough of a system to overcome that ambient noise.

One of the first decisions you have to make is Stereo or Surround Sound. Surround Sound outlines a specific area where the sound will be best. Stereo is cheaper and more versatile, though to fill a room, can take considerable speakers.

Next, is this limited to football and other sports, or is there a potential for watching movies and other non-sport video related things?

Possible options are a lot of small speakers placed high (out of the way) or alternately, a few big speakers. More speakers typically means more amps. Fewer speakers mean harder placement of those speakers.

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard

PSM1

Distinguished Member
That will not be loud enough for the size room and people you plan to have. You also want high level speakers and not floorstanders so that the sound spreads above people instead of being absorbed by the first few rows of people. I would also forget about surround sound since this will not sound good with size of room etc. I feel several pairs if stereo speakers spread across the room will sound better.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Once again, I agree with PSM1, a couple of good PA speakers in front, or several or several bookshelf size speakers spread along each side of the room. Once again, it is likely that several Bookself will require additional amps.

PSM1 is also right in that you need the speakers up high so all the sound isn't absorbed by the people in first few rows. How high will depend on whether people are sitting or standing. Can we assume you will server beer at this establishment? And by extension does that imply their will be a bar area?

It is a bit hard to determine, but perhaps a big screen in the man viewing area and a smaller screen over the bar.

I think you are seriously going to have to rethink your budget.

It would be easier if we had the final lay out of the room, but it seems you do not even have that room yet, so you can't lock yourself into a specific view until you have that room, and then the room will dictate the possibilities.

Steve/bluewizard

janneh

Standard Member
I'm inclined to agree with PSM1, £300 in any currency is simply not enough for what you describe. You could perhaps get something tolerable for about £500, though very minimal.

You also have to consider that the ambient level of 200 people (or 50 people) is relatively high, so you need enough of a system to overcome that ambient noise.

One of the first decisions you have to make is Stereo or Surround Sound. Surround Sound outlines a specific area where the sound will be best. Stereo is cheaper and more versatile, though to fill a room, can take considerable speakers.

Next, is this limited to football and other sports, or is there a potential for watching movies and other non-sport video related things?

Possible options are a lot of small speakers placed high (out of the way) or alternately, a few big speakers. More speakers typically means more amps. Fewer speakers mean harder placement of those speakers.

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard
So would something like these 4 Speaker Restaurant Background Music Sound System - 100v Speaker & Amp Packages from Inta Audio UK be suitable for sport.

Would it be easy to connect these kind of systems to digital/satellite boxes. Also I would be showing different games on two different screens so would I need to buy two different systems?

Sorry I know my understanding of this is very basic (and that's being kind to me lol).

I don't know if that picture would help much, but this is roughly how people would be watching, so I don't know if that can help you determine which kind of sound system would need to be in place?

Last edited:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I'm guessing a PA system will do. You can buy PA speakers very cheap, though £300 is still an incredibly lean budget.

You will need Two PA speaker for each TV. In addition, you will need an amp for each TV. Depending on the room, I'm guessing 10" PA speakers. One advantage is the powerful PA amp are pretty cheap.

If you plan one dominant screen and a secondary less important screen then perhaps a pair of 10" on the main screen, and a pair of 8" speakers on the secondary screen.

There are still a lot of unknown factors that need to be considered. One being how do you connect the TV to the amps. If the TV has Audio Out, then that can feed the PA amp. Most PA amps have a volume control for each channel, so that makes a very minimal Pre-Amp. Another is the actual side of the space and the orientation of the TV screen in the room. If they are close, then the sound from one PA/TV is going to be competing with the sound from the other PA/TV, each group insisting that their TV be louder than the other.

However, if the TVs or Projectors do not have an analog (meaning not digital) Audio Out, then you will likely need a DAC (digital to analog converter) for each TV.

In some cases you can use the Headphone out of the TV or Projector to feed the amp.

Here are some examples of the type of equipment I'm talking about -

Peavey Audio Performer Pack 200w - PA system speakers & more

It is possible for the speakers to have their own built-in amps -

S&T Audio 380W 15” active digital speaker

This is a passive speaker at a bargain price with 10" bass driver, it would require an external amp -

Kam ZP10 2 way passive PA speaker, Single (100W)

And here are a variety of power amps -

Category | PA Equipment | Power Amplifiers

I'm not recommending these, just illustrating the different possibilities. Ebay is a good place to find deals on PA and DJ equipment.

That's about the best I can do.

Steve/bluewizard

janneh

Standard Member
I'm guessing a PA system will do. You can buy PA speakers very cheap, though £300 is still an incredibly lean budget.

You will need Two PA speaker for each TV. In addition, you will need an amp for each TV. Depending on the room, I'm guessing 10" PA speakers. One advantage is the powerful PA amp are pretty cheap.

If you plan one dominant screen and a secondary less important screen then perhaps a pair of 10" on the main screen, and a pair of 8" speakers on the secondary screen.

There are still a lot of unknown factors that need to be considered. One being how do you connect the TV to the amps. If the TV has Audio Out, then that can feed the PA amp. Most PA amps have a volume control for each channel, so that makes a very minimal Pre-Amp. Another is the actual side of the space and the orientation of the TV screen in the room. If they are close, then the sound from one PA/TV is going to be competing with the sound from the other PA/TV, each group insisting that their TV be louder than the other.

However, if the TVs or Projectors do not have an analog (meaning not digital) Audio Out, then you will likely need a DAC (digital to analog converter) for each TV.

In some cases you can use the Headphone out of the TV or Projector to feed the amp.

Here are some examples of the type of equipment I'm talking about -

Peavey Audio Performer Pack 200w - PA system speakers & more

It is possible for the speakers to have their own built-in amps -

S&T Audio 380W 15” active digital speaker

This is a passive speaker at a bargain price with 10" bass driver, it would require an external amp -

Kam ZP10 2 way passive PA speaker, Single (100W)

And here are a variety of power amps -

Category | PA Equipment | Power Amplifiers

I'm not recommending these, just illustrating the different possibilities. Ebay is a good place to find deals on PA and DJ equipment.

That's about the best I can do.

Steve/bluewizard
Thanks for your help. I am going to go for 2 PA systems, something similar to this ProSound 600W 12 Inch Plastic Cabinet Speaker with Integrated Amplifier | Maplin with an integrated amp.

You said I would need two, but I was reading and a few people have said one should be enough to fill a room?

Also I am going to be using two satellite boxes, more than likely in HD. Is it possible to have the projector connected to the satellite box via HDMI and still being able to use the PA system for sound?

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
You have two separate screen with two separate games, if you don't have two PA, then you might at least need the ability to switch the sound from one game to the other. Again how the final room is laid out makes a big difference.

But, I said two PAs because you have two screen potentially showing different games. At some point the people watching the secondary game are going to want to hear the sound.

Still the details are up to you.

The ProSound should be fine. But are you getting Passive with external amp, or active with internal amps?

Steve/bluewizard

janneh

Standard Member
Oh I see what you mean, I thought you meant I needed two PA speakers per screen but yes I will be getting one active speaker per screen.

Thanks for help, appreciate.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom