1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of recorder do I need?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BKGupta, Feb 10, 2005.

1. BKGupta

BKGupta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to record my camcorder footage onto DVD, but I also want to be able to edit it by adding credits and also add a stills gallery. I have been doing a lot of searching on the net and it seems that set-top HDD/DVD recorders cannot record a stills gallery onto a DVD and its editing ability is limited. Is there a set-top recorder that can cater for my needs?

If I have to go the PC route, then I have a Dell laptop with 40 GB hard drive and 512 MB RAM and a firewire connection. What external DVD re-writable drive should I get and what software would I need to achieve my goals.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. :lease:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    No DVD recorder - with or without a HDD - will allow you to produce a stills gallery onto compatible DVDR media. You will need to go down the PC route.

3. BKGupta

BKGupta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Rasczak. I was afraid that was the answer I was going to get. Do you have any suggestions for what is the best PC External DVD Re-Writer and software necessary for my goals?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Dedicated External DVD burners can be expensive - can I therefore suggest you consider an enclosure such as this? You can then get a cheap internal drive to fit in it - for which I would recommend the Pioneer A09 or LG 4163. If you have a Firewire (iLink) connection on your laptop you may find an enclosure connected by this would be faster.

If you do want a dedicated external drive then the LG5160 (which is based on the 4163) is a good choice.

5. BKGupta

BKGupta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. I will look into those drives.

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    A09 seems a good bet I have an A04 I think or 104 in my PC