What kind of "lag" can I expect...

D

DJEggy

...on sound if I connect a Tosh HD-EP30 to a SONY DG510/DG700 via Optical?

Here's my conundrum...

I have the opportunity to get either a Sony DG510 or DG700 on the cheap (circa £100) however it ONLY has two HDMI inputs. Ideally I am looking for 3inputs (SkyHD, HD DVD player, PS3 (for movies)) but am willing to make a sacrifice and have to unplug one/plug in another when needed. I am looking to pick up a cheap HD player to tied me over until Blue Ray DVD's drop in price...however I also have the chance to get a free PS3 with a phone upgrade.

If I decided to use the HD DVD player connected via Component (I only have a 32D3000 Bravia TV and sit about 8-9ft away) and plug in the Optical Cable to receive the sound...would I experience lag on the sound?

Currently while using this method with the Xbox 360 as my DVD player - after a while you can get a noticeable lag on the sound to picture timing. Would this same thing happen with Tosh HD DVD player?

As an after thought...have you had any experience or suggest any other "budget" receivers with 3 HDMI inputs? I'm not particularly fussed about HD Sound and lots of fancy features at the moment as my room layout won't suit a big expenditure. £250 is really my ceiling (Credit Crunch!!!:boring:)

The other option is as skyHD only sends stereo over HDMI, you could send video thru HDMI straight to the TV from it and and optical to the amp for audio.

You don't need to send the video thru the amp.

Assuming your optical cable is about 300m, you'll get a delay of 1 microsecond. This is not really an issue with half-frame times at 20 milliseconds.

What happens in practice is that the sound is as near as instantaneous as makes no difference, but the TV takes a elatively considerable amount of time to process the picture (deinterlacing itself forces a delay of 40ms). To address this, you add a (digital) delay to the sound in the receiver.

There is no reason for a variable lag - it should be consistent (poor quality & pirated disks excluded), alhough NTSC and PAL will likely differ.

What happens in practice is that the sound is as near as instantaneous as makes no difference, but the TV takes a elatively considerable amount of time to process the picture (deinterlacing itself forces a delay of 40ms). To address this, you add a (digital) delay to the sound in the receiver.

Is there generally an option then to add this "visual" lag in the menu's in the receivers? If so - how could I tell EXACTLY how much delay for it to delay? Can I find this out somehow? Are your calculations purely guestimate or industry knowledge?

Also - as my TV has an Optical out...could I hook the Sky up to the TV via HDMI and then use the optical out on the TV to the Amp? Would that even out the delay prcoess maybe?

Many thanks

You would likely only get stereo out of the optical out of the TV. I know for sky there is a setting for optical delay.

Ideally to set it you probably want a clapperboard video. Then you just match the 'clap' sound to the clapper board closing.

But any piece of video with a strong visual tied with a sound will do.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom