What kind of electrical wiring for Ring Pro 2 doorbell?

techno79

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm having a porch built and the wiring for a standard dumb wired doorbell has already been costed into the quote. I'll be getting a simple dumb wired doorbell but I want to make sure it is future proofed so I can install a Ring Pro 2 in the not too distant future (this is a hardwired variant of the Ring doorbell).

Does anyone know what requirements the Ring Pro 2 needs for the wiring?

What kind of dumb doorbell can I have fitted as the interim solution?

Would something like this do the job: Byron Wired Bell Push White

Thanks in advance

1: No existing doorbell

If you don't have an existing doorbell, the Video Doorbell Pro 2 can either be powered with:
Note: Use included Plug-In Adapter 2nd Gen (24V DC, 0.5A, 12W). Plug-In Adapter features a 6m cable and comes with cable clips. Plugs into standard indoor electrical socket.
Do not use with 3rd-party DC power adapters as it will result in damage to the device.

The Plug-In Adapter (skip to this step)

DIN Rail Transformer (electrician recommended)

2: Existing wired doorbell

If you have an existing doorbell, your new device can be installed with the included Din-Rail Transformer.

To install with the included Din-Rail Transformer:

If, like most doorbells in Europe, your doorbell only works at 8-12 Volts AC, your existing transformer won't have enough power to support your Ring device, and will need to be replaced by the included 24 Volt Ring transformer.
Note: Hardwire with included DIN Rail Transformer 2nd Gen (24V DC, 0.42A, 10W), or existing doorbell system (16-24V AC, 10-40 VA, 50/60Hz). Do not use halogen or garden-lighting transformers. Do not use 3rd-party DC supplies. For more support in wiring and compatibility see ring.com/hardwired.

So I have recently installed one of these, replacing a very old transformer hardwired Friedland doorbell.

The original transformer was outside of the Consumer Unit, so as I knew it wouldn't be suitable for the Ring doorbell, I purchased a Wylex 2 module housing to put the new Ring Transformer in. This is the link: Wylex NH IP40 2-Module Unpopulated DIN Enclosure

I then connected the original wiring into the new housing and transformer.

If you go for the Byron, then the sparky is likely to put the Byron transformer in to the Consumer Unit, which would mean when you switch to the Pro2 you would have to open up the consumer unit itself to switch transformers. I'm sure that would be fine, but I was glad I didn't have to deal with all of the wiring in the Consumer Unit as doing that as a non registered electrician could be considered risky.

Your best bet is to plump for the Rong Pro2 doorbell now and go for the hardwired option, as installation would be like for like to a registered sparky.

Good luck!

I'm still a little confused but as far as I understand, if I have a dumb wired doorbell then the bell box will have a connection to 240v live mains. Internally it will have a transformer that'll step down the voltage to a low amount (e.g. 8v). It will then have bell wire (2 wires) going to the push button bell on the outside of the house.

When it comes time to change to a hardwired Ring device then I'll need to replace the bell box with a Ring transformer that'll step down to 24v and then place this in some suitable housing. The existing mains wire connection and the bell wire will be re-used. The bush button bell will be removed and replaced with the Ring.

If the above is correct then great, if not then please someone correct me.

Assuming above is correct then my further question is:
  1. Should the bell box be placed high up the wall so it is out of reach from little fingers? Or does it not matter from a safety point of view?
  2. When the bell box is replaced for the Ring transformer and it's housing module, then does the same apply or should that be placed up high on the wall?
Given the above, can I install something as simple as this: Byron White Wired Mains-powered Door chime kit | DIY at B&Q

And then re-purpose the live mains connection and the bell wiring for the Ring?

The tricky part is if the transformer is in the Bell Box, then you have 240v feeding in at that point. Probably better to get a bellbox, where the transformer is separate, that way you can switch the transformer at the consumer unit (mines in the garage). I guess the Ring transformer could hide within the redundant bellbox if the original transformer is in the bellbox.

It may be worth avoiding having a bellbox completely as it will not be used once you have the Ring Doorbell (+Chime). Maybe get the wiring to the front door where the Video doorbell eventually go and have that fed to the Consumer Unit box and a spare location, or to near a plug point and get the Ring Doorbell with Plug Adapter You could then wire the bell wire to the plug adapter cable ends.

There are many options, which can make it confusing, but this is to make it possible to cope with every possible set-up.

The voltage out of the Ring transformer will be 24v, so worth keeping well protected.

Okay, I'm definitely confused. Does the transformer need to be directly connected to the consumer unit? If that is the case then there's no way I'll be able to neatly get a cable from the CU to the front door. I thought the transformer could get power directly from a mains socket, no?

I was hoping to avoid using a standard UK mains socket to connect to the Ring as I thought it'd look more ugly. What other options do I have for wiring things up without going back to the CU?

You could take mains supply from an existing socket, into the Ring transformer, but you would need to locate a housing for the transformer at some point in the supply to the doorbell.

It is difficult to explain all the options to get power to the doorbell as it depends on many things. Maybe the best approach is to decide the best location of the Ring transformer (in/by existing consumer unit, placed in existing bellbox, new housing at bellbox location).

You could take mains supply from an existing socket, into the Ring transformer, but you would need to locate a housing for the transformer at some point in the supply to the doorbell.

It is difficult to explain all the options to get power to the doorbell as it depends on many things. Maybe the best approach is to decide the best location of the Ring transformer (in/by existing consumer unit, placed in existing bellbox, new housing at bellbox location).
I think I'm leaning on the previous suggestion of using a Ring mains power adaptor which then makes a connection to the hidden bell wire (will be chased into the wall). This seems to be the most future proof solution as bell wire will probably be usable by any future system while the rest of it could be switched out easily.

I'll join the Ring's main power adaptor with the bell wire within a surface mounted box.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom