1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of amp will I need ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mcaw, Oct 28, 2003.

1. mcaw

mcaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a DVD player with on board PRO LOGIC II decoder, and outputs for the 5 + S/W channels, but no bulit in amp.
    What amp will I need to use these outputs, or would I be better buying a receiver, and just using the SPDIF out.

2. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +736
    Ih has DPLII? Or do you mean Dolby Digital and/or DTS. I havnt seen a DVD player with DPLII, there isnt a whole lot of point to it either.

5.1 analog out son dvd players are used for either (a)old pro-logic kit that has 5.1 analog inputs - or - (b)DVD-A/SACD.

Just get an AV reciever and use Spdif.

3. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with RobDickinson that it does seem a bit strange for a DVD to have a DPLii decoder as i have never seen or heard of one. Although I have seen some DVDs with DPLII soundtracks so I can see the point.

Anyway, if it does have one plus DD/DTS decoding, which I assume it does, then you don't need to get a receiver, depends on what your budget is and what level of performance you are after.

You could connect the DVD to an active speaker package via the 6 channel output.

However, you will only be able to realise DPLII from DVDs encoded with DPLII or stereo discs played on your DVD player. You wouldn't be able to use it with VHS or any format not played by your DVD.