1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kbps do you import your MP3's at?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by DaveH, Nov 23, 2004.

1. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,

Just wondered what you do regarding the above and why?

I'm importing into ITunes at 320kbps. Recently I think this is pointless and I should lower it. (I'm using aac).

Cheers.

2. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use 192 to import mine. It's the minimum quality that I'm prepared to put up with. 128 just loses too much.

I have a load of stuff at 128 that I'm trying to re-rip at 192 or 256.

While I don't have an iPod (or similar) I do have the MP3 player in the car and 192 sounds fine there.

Collin

3. Adil

Adil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    128 on mp3 sounds fine, or 96 on aac

4. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    When I first started using MP3 I used 128 which is a standard of sorts. However I found on a few tracks 192 was better, especially after adjusting the volume of the file (for which I use Goldwave).

I think it is important to remember that higher bit rates will result in larger files that can in turn have an adverse effect on battey life so if you are happy with 128 - go for it. Also consider what the conditions will be like when listening to the MP3s in cars, trains, boats and planes there is always a level of background noise to deal with. How did we ever manage with cassettes?

5. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Just to be pedantic, AAC is mp4, not mp3.

6. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,342
    Using 192Kbs MP3 for the best combination of filesize and quality in my environment (playing from a laptop + speakers in a quiet office and on the move on a Nokia 6230 phone). May sound a bit poor when connected to decent HiFi but sounds good in those circumstances.

cassettes = blugh!

7. honglong

honglong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I use the variable bitrate option and select 128kbps as the lowest bitrate to use.

Files are a little bit bigger but are by far the best quality

8. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    AAC is generally considered to be superior to Mp3 at the same bit rate. I use 128 AAC and notice a difference from 128 Mp3, less noise and artifacts colouring the sound.

Some information from Apple's site:

In numerous comparison tests, AAC comes out on top. Check out these impressive results:
    AAC compressed audio at 128 kbps (stereo) has been judged by expert listeners to be “indistinguishable” from the original uncompressed audio source.*
    AAC compressed audio at 96 kbps generally exceeded the quality of MP3 compressed audio at 128 kbps. AAC at 128 kbps provides significantly superior performance than does MP3 at 128 kbps.*
    AAC was the only Internet audio codec evaluated in the range “Excellent” at 64 kbps for all of the audio items tested in EBU listening tests.*

But then they would say that wouldn't they.

9. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have ripped, re-ripped and then re-ripped again - all at various bitrates. I have experimented with constant bit rate (CBR) as well as variable (VBR). Both WMA & MP3 formats.Decided to settle on MP3 192kbps (CBR) - this sounds very good on any album i have tried. I guess it's always a battle between sound quality and the actual space you have available to store all your music.

10. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Interesting.

At the moment I am importing AAC at 328kbps am I wasting my time and I suppose I am gaining very little in quality but losing battery life and disk capacity?

11. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I used to have everything in MP3 format at 128 when my music was just for my computer. Now I have a portable MP3 player, a car one and a connection to a semi-decent amp, everything is in MP3 format at 192.

12. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Dave. Yes, I would suggest that you are wasting a lot of space in ripping at that high a bit rate. Try ripping the same tracks at 192 and 256 and see if you notice any difference. I think that in the normal environment that one listens to an iPod, probably noisy, there is not a great deal of difference. Also, if you don't want to play the tracks anywhere else than your PC or iPod try AAC at 128.

13. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I don't use iTunes.

Using EAC to rip accurately which I believe iTunes can't do (?) then it encodes using LAME with the -V2 setting for hi quality VBR.

Constant bit rates aren't very good for certain songs.

14. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I use iTunes exclusively and it rips, as far as I am aware, in MP3 and AAC fine. What is it about iTunes that is not accurate?
    Simon

15. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Well EAC using secure mode rereads the same bits again and again until it's sure the data it read from the CD is correct. It takes longer to rip but you get a much more accurate rip that way.

16. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    iTunes does the same thing - tick "Use Error Correction" (or whatever it is) in the importing preferences, and it takes much longer to rip as it re-reads the CD.

17. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    ahh right, i didn't know :)

but doesn't iTunes move your music around the way it wants to ? i don't want to mess about reordering 50Gb of MP3s !?!

18. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Yes and no. If you've got existing stuff, it will leave that as it is if that's what you want. But new stuff that you rip with iTunes will go where it says (obviosuly you can say where the library is, but the structure is down to iTunes).

Personally I couldn't care less what it does with them. As far as I'm bothered, it's 'in' iTunes. It's all I ever use to access those file, so it can do whatever it likes with the library folder structure - just so long as the mp4 files are there that is.

19. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sorry to go off on a slight tangent but.

How much music could you store on a 512MB MP3 player at 192kbps with CBR? More than an album or 2?

Thanks,

Mark.

20. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Obviously, it does depend on the length of the track/album. At 192kbps, take each track as having an average file size of 6mb. This equates to 85 approx. (so around 7 or 8 albums is the answer). If you choose 128kbps then you can store around 130 tracks (this is taking each track as having an average file size of 4mb)
    Hope this helps.

21. GizmoStu

GizmoStu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nowadays I rip at 192 using CDex running Lame v1.3, engine 39.2. I've found that the default ripping options in CDex suffice pretty well. To be honest I have noticed scarcely any difference between 192 and 320 using this method. I stopped ripping at 320 not only to save space but also to help out with my iPod's battery life as I found loading the bigger files put more of a drain on the battery. Unfortunately despite their virtures Lithium Polymer batteries don't cope too well with sudden high-drain events so I've found it is best to do all I can to keep that sort of thing to a minimum

22. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using a Lame plugin for itunes (on Mac; don't know if it's available for PC itunes) which seems to do a better job on MP3 encoding (although it's much slower). But ideally I'd like to stop using the CD originals at all and play uncompressed to the hifi.

What does anyone think about the idea of ripping to e.g. Apple lossless as an archive and hifi source, but then re-ripping an AAC copy for use on the iPod? As it is I've got different CD's ripped at different bitrates with different compressors in different formats - a bit of a mess.

23. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    That's what I do - Apple Lossless for the 'main' library, and 320Kbps AAC for the iPod, all managed through iTunes playlists. Although, like you, I've a bunch of stuff hanging around that was ripped at different rates with different rippers .... maybe I'll get around to sorting it out eventually.

24. hdrider

hdrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I'm new at this so hope you get this, you mention adjusting volume with goldwave, went to their site seems ok. I have alot of mp3 music, they vary album to album as fas as how loud they are can i fix this easily with goldwave?