1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What ITV Digital STB - Pace or Pioneer?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by PeteM, Feb 27, 2002.

1. PeteM

PeteM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For the last 12 months I've been getting ITV Digital via my Sony KV28DX20 IDTV - and taking advantage of the 12 months introductory offer of 6 free channels in the process.

However my introductory offer just ran out and so I am now paying the same price as someone with an STB - except I own my equipment, which isn't really fair!!!

I would like to now suplement my IDTV with an STB, this would give me several advantages such as being able to watch a FTV channel whilst recording a pay channel or vis versa.

I intend to request that ITV digital send me an STB - or simply cancel the subscription and take a trip down to Comets to pick up a prepay box.

The question is what STB should I get? I know that the Pace 735 is highly recommended, however in Comets I saw a Pioneer DBR-T210 on display, this looks like a quality piece of kit, being a full length component with a silver brushed aluminium front, it would look nice with my AV gear, whilst the Pace looks cheap and tacky!!

Does anyone have any comments on the Pace and Pioneer boxes, as to which one is best - ultimately it comes down to performance, and speed.

[Note: I know that ITV Digital will probably want my CAM back if I get an STB, its not really a problem as they kindly sent me a spare!!].

2. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I have tried every STB. The Pace while looking bad is the best, it is by far the fastest. It lags behind the Nokia and Pioneer in retaining a signal (which is why I have had to go for a Pioneer). Out of all the boxes my batting order is:

Pace
    Nokia
    Pioneer
    Phillips

3. PeteM

PeteM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Interesting, you rate the Nokia as being better than the Pioneer!

From reading this and other forums for sometime, I have seen nothing but complaints about the Nokia - regarding picture freezing problems, and hence I was not even concidering the Nokia.

I must agree about Phillips decoders - my girlfriend has a Phillips IDTV and suffers from terrible impulse noise problems, I would not concider a Phillips for this reason!

I guess the Pioneer box is just too good to be true, it sounds like they spent the budget making the thing look nice, whilst Pace have produced an embarrisingly cheap and tacky box that works well!

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,105
    Does this mean that other boxes have fewer problems with this?
    I've pretty much had it with my old Philips box but only because of impulse interference that makes it unwatchable some evenings.

I've replaced my aerial and cabling, even tried ferrite rings to no avail.

Does anyone have any practical experience of a different brand being less prone to this type of interference and if so is there any way to get my box swapped?

Thanks

AMc

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Having had a Nokia and a Pace 735 - I would definitley avoid the Nokia; wretched, unstable, forever freezing and requiring reset, prone to freezing/blocking with electrical interference. Rubbish.

I'd guess the Philips won't be much good, but can't speak from personal experience.

The Pace 735 is definitely a much better bet than the Nokia.

I recall reading a few months ago that the Pioneer is close to the Pace in performance terms and, as you say, it is much ncer looking.

However, recent press indicates that you will soon be able to BUY (and therefore own and keep) a newly-designed Pace STB for £99.

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Nokia has 2 plus points - digital sound out and line 23 WSS for taping

Minus points - cuts out more than a Sony IDTV, crap remote and slow.

Ok as a vcr tuner!

Ondigital have forgotten I still have it!

7. PeteM

PeteM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'd like a Nokia for the digital out and wide screen switching - if only they were reliable!

Concerning the Pace FTA box, this isn't really an option, as being a subscriber, I can get a free box - however if you can find them cheap anywhere (<=£72) and assumming ITV Digital treat them like IDTVs in giving you 6 channels free for 6 months if you subscribe then they might be an option!

Does anyone know the connectivity available on the Pioneer - the website is fairly vague about what this box can do.

Also, how ammeniable are ITV Digital to sending IDTV owners a STB? I assume I will need to tell a lie such as I'm changing my TV and need an STB to remain a customer?

Will ITV Digital send the box I want, or is it lucky dip unless I go to somewhere like Comets and take out a new subscription?

8. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a Nokia - trust me you do not want one! - It is lousy beyond belief. I have a strong signal going into it yet it freezes constantly, it is incredibly slow to change channel, the onscreen display does not work properly...

I even phoned ITV Dig to tell them how lousy it was... Their answer... "We know!"

:eek:

9. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    PeteM and guys

No barrier to trying out all the boxes as they are free. My line with ITV digital has always been (which is why I have been through all the boxes) that I am not renting a box from them, I am renting a service. The box is the means to the end, if the signal is not to good, or suffers when you switch on anything like a hoover then they will change it for another (at least in my experience - maybe they are less desperate to keep customers now which I doubt from reading today's papers). Don't want to set us off on a tangent but it would be a shame if they shut down as I can't get cable or put a dish on the flat so I have no choice.

10. PeteM

PeteM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sounds like I should go for the Pioneer (the supermodel ITV digital tuners), and if that doesn't work satisfactorily demand an exchange for the Pace 735!

11. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Does this Pace box work with the Pronto remote?

12. gunslinger

gunslinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

Should do my Nokia works fine - even managed to teach it channel up and up arrow at the same time !
    If not check out
    www.remotecentral.com

gunslinger