What is your split AC cleaning regime?

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by chrisgeary, Jul 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Do you DIY clean your indoor unit? If so, what kit do you use and where did you buy it from?

2. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,916
    My attic unit is a ducted and I "service" that myself. Once a year I take the filter off it and wash it, and clean the coil. I previously used product from Advanced Engineering, but recently I've bought product from Diversitech:

Diversitech Pro-Universal Granular Coil Cleaner
    I quite like this stuff as it is in granules so I'm not storing liquid. I put it in a pump garden sprayer, spray the coil and then clean out the sprayer and spray water to rinse through a bit.

I don't do anything much to the outdoor unit as it is in a sheltered location in the back of the garden.

Haven't done anything to the baby split in the cinema room yet. I think that looks very straightforward, though they recommend cleaning the filters more frequently.

3. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,916
    PS the Diversitech stuff says for professionals only... Make of that what you will. I personally see this as something I'm amply qualified to do but you are messing with your indoor air quality. Of course, open the windows and ventilate well while cleaning...

4. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Do you use wash bags or does the quantity of liquid involve just use the drain pipe? What about the blower itself, a quick spray?

5. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,916
    My unit is a ducted which has a very large drain pan. In my case I remove the outlet (a sheet metal contraption with 3 spigots) and spray into the coil area. You can see the drain pan very easily and the residue just washes out through the drain. Because this unit is in the attic there isn't any decor to protect, and in any case the unit is huge so not much chance of missing the mark.

I've seen videos of folk doing splits with wall mounted units and using the wash bags but those seemed to be with deep cleans with really big quantities of water being pushed through the unit. When I do even the unit in the attic it is just a light spraying of water.

When I've seen pros at work doing the units here they're usually just using some liquid in a hand pump bottle. I think the reality is that unless you're in a foul environment with lots of cooking or pet hair or something, in this country an AC unit isn't going to need a real intense clean.

I've not done anything to the blower on my unit. It's not easy to get to anything that looks worth cleaning on it, and I figure if the filters are kept clean contaminant on a dry surface like that is going to be very minimal. I certainly don't want to go wetting the dry side unless I have a good plan for how to dry it again.

I always find it interesting that the service manuals themselves don't really have much info on this...