What is your opinion or experience with buying used speakers?

jensK

Novice Member
What is your opinion or experience with buying used speakers?

Personally I think that buying a used speaker has the lowest risk of any used Hifi/AV equipment. This mainly because speakers don’t have many electrical equipment that will wear off after use (except for subwoofers or active speakers).

What is your experience have you bought a used speaker?

What are the things to look out for when buying a used speaker?

Thanks

iainsilvester

Novice Member
Not sure I agree. My concern with any used kit is user abuse particularly with mechanical transport systems, eg DVD/CD players and loudspeakers. I think (to use an old term) solid state electronics are probably safest.

Speakers tend to work or not work, it should be pretty obvious if a driver is damaged or not. But this demands an audition. General wear and tear on cabinets is an indicator of how well the owner respects his/her kit.

badbob

Banned
My center, sides and rears are all previous owned or demo units. Perfectly find, and saved a packet, roughly £1000 saving. Drive units are fine, although I now need to replace a bass driver in the centre (used the centre for a few years now) sounds ok but feels a bit weird. Probably around £30 to replace.

jensK

Novice Member
My center, sides and rears are all previous owned or demo units. Perfectly find, and saved a packet, roughly £1000 saving. Drive units are fine, although I now need to replace a bass driver in the centre (used the centre for a few years now) sounds ok but feels a bit weird. Probably around £30 to replace.
I was thinking along the same lines badbob. Ex demo speakers can be a huge saving. the next step is to find the right place to buy them.

True-Blue

On one hand you can't beat the feeling of opening a brand new box of goodies not used by anyone else, but......

... on the other hand the 'brand new' feeling doesn't last long, so if you can pick up quality kit at a fraction of its new price the feeling's even better.

per other posters comments, just be careful and audition. I tend to agree that speakers pose the 'least' risk in terms of a failure after purchase. If a cone is blown you'd need to be deaf to not be able to tell something is wrong at the audition.

I picked up a lovely set of M&K's second hand, I'm not sure what the full list price would have been when new, but probably at least three times what I paid for them. They are awesome :D and I effectively only had to pay £150 for the upgrade from my previous MA Radius set up based on the cash I got for the MA's.

Not only that but the fellow forum member who bought my MA's also saved a shed load of cash compared to buying brand new, so everyone's a winner.

Stating the obvious here, but I'd tend to feel safer buying from an established member on here rather than ebay and the like. Although, many bargains to be had on ebay too.

jensK

Novice Member
On one hand you can't beat the feeling of opening a brand new box of goodies not used by anyone else, but......

... on the other hand the 'brand new' feeling doesn't last long, so if you can pick up quality kit at a fraction of its new price the feeling's even better.

per other posters comments, just be careful and audition. I tend to agree that speakers pose the 'least' risk in terms of a failure after purchase. If a cone is blown you'd need to be deaf to not be able to tell something is wrong at the audition.

I picked up a lovely set of M&K's second hand, I'm not sure what the full list price would have been when new, but probably at least three times what I paid for them. They are awesome :D and I effectively only had to pay £150 for the upgrade from my previous MA Radius set up based on the cash I got for the MA's.

Not only that but the fellow forum member who bought my MA's also saved a shed load of cash compared to buying brand new, so everyone's a winner.

Stating the obvious here, but I'd tend to feel safer buying from an established member on here rather than ebay and the like. Although, many bargains to be had on ebay too.

I agree with you on a couple of things there. Especially on buying speakers from ebay sounds risky for my taste. I keep me eyes open and look for some nice ex-demo speakers or try to find some in this forum. Although, there was currently nothing that caught my attention.

:hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom