What is your opinion on dipole speakers...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by buddy13, Jan 6, 2012.

1. buddy13

buddy13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I need to install 5.1 surround sound in my existing room...it is not the best since the couch where we see the movies from is placed directly to the back wall (can't be moved). The surrounds will have to be placed at least 1.8m high due to space restrictions rather than ear level. All my A/V equipment will be relocated to a better room in a year or two but for now this has to do.

The room measures around 2.5m by 4m. My setup is as below:

- Sharp 40LE620 LED TV
    - Yamaha RX-V671 receiver
    - Sony PS3 for BD/DVD movies
    - Diamond 10.6 front speakers (Bi-amped)
    - Diamond 10.CS center speaker

All my A/V equipment will be relocated to a better room in a year or two but for now this has to do...

The store where I bought the speakers from suggested that I fit 10.0 or better yest 10.1 bookshelf speakers as surrounds to go with the powerful 10.6 fronts. However, these are reflex ported speakers so will not perform well at all strapped to a wall. Now I am thinking of going for:

- 10.SR surround as these are not reflex ported (right?). Then maybe buy Diamonds 10.1 when I get my setup sorted or not needed?

OR

- 10.DFS dipole speaker. Then maybe buy Diamonds 10.1 when I get my setup sorted )to really be able to crank up the volume without loading the rears) ?

I happen to believe that the 10.DFS would be even better than the 10.SR for now. What is your opinion? And what about dipole speakers in general? I favour good tonal characteristics and good integration over volume per se. If you have better alternatives please let me know. Thanks!

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,410
    Dipole speakers will be better for movies and are designed for your layout with no space behind the viewing location. They will give a very diffused sound which is just what you want for a good surround experience. They will not be the best with music but considering your good fronts I would listen to this in stereo anyway so no issue there. I would get the DFS for now.

3. buddy13

buddy13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Advice taken :smashin:! I'll pop to the store tomorrow and buy the DFS for now. It should give a good couple years of service...

Shame the QED speaker cable I bought from the UK has not arrived yet, so cannot connect it yet :(...

4. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    What he said!

I have them in my viewing room and they do exactly what they say on the box.
    I even like them with Music.

K.

5. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,180
  6. buddy13

buddy13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very informative thread! Thanks...

It is surprising that you could not hear any difference between bi/di pole. I always thought Dipole was better for rear surround applications. I thought Bipole would only be good for 7.1 applications where they must convey the sound from the fronts to the rears :confused:...

So just 2 quick questions (well make that three):

- Are Wharfedale 10.DFS Dipole or Bipole or are they switchable (some intrent info claims both?!)?
    - What do you recommend I set them to if they are switchable..Dipole?
    - Would it be better if I fixed them on the well, say 1m above listening position, and tilt them slightly downwards?

7. l34052

l34052

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I have bipole rears and absolutely love them to bits, i havent tried them in dipole mode yet but i dont think i could ever go back to direct firing rears again after hearing how good bipoles sound unless they were something very special indeed.

8. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,180
    I eventually settled on di-pole and had my speakers at the sides slightly above ear level so the sound can travel past people sat next to each other. Surrounds in a 5.1 are supposed to go at the sides either level or slightly behind the listeners. Rears are for 7.1 modes. I wouldnt bother trying to get them to tilt down, it makes little difference and non that I could tell.

9. buddy13

buddy13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Eventually went and bought the 10 DFS from the store just now :thumbsup:!

Still have to wait for QED cable though. They are bipole and not switchable but I think they'll be fine for me. I only paid 100 euros for them (the store manager gives me good discount)! I think they will do nicely for this time being...

When I relocate my A/V equipment I'll probably mopve them on and get the 10.1's for extra punch :smashin:! But DFS's have two mid and two tweeter drivers so they should be plenty strong enough :D...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  10. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,180
    From memory I settled on di-pole as Audyssey measured them showing a deeper in room response in that mode (80hz for di and only 100 for bi). I cant claim I could tell any real difference between the two modes though di-pole is said to disperse the sound a little more and bi-pole to be a little more direct, and many saying simply choose on which you prefer. I wouldnt even give it a second thought about di and bi modes in a non switch-able speaker, you would likely notice little difference if any anyway, though you could easily make them di-poled yourself if you really wanted :D. Your bi's IMO are much preferred over direct fire speakers and will sound great :thumbsup:

FWIW in the future, I would look at your sub a lot harder rather than buying the same speaker with more drivers if your after better bass. Dont forget you cut your speakers of at 80hz and that puts a big dent in any advantage the new speakers would make in that area over the old ones. A newer and much better sub will make much more of a difference.