1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your favourite JOYPAD from the current console generation?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by CAS FAN, Jun 20, 2005.

?

Which is your favourite Joypad?

Poll closed Jul 20, 2005.
  1. PS2 Dualshock 2

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. Gamecube Controller (Wavebird or wired)

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. X-Box Controller (Original or S)

18 vote(s)
    58.1%
  4. Dreamcast Controller

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    Well let's face it, you can have all the fancy graphics and 5.1 sound you like, but if the device that interfaces you with the game is not much cop then the experience can become less than enjoyable.

So folks, out of the 4 128 bit consoles which pad do you think was best and why?

Personally I think that the best all round pad is the X-Box pad, but I always use a PS2 pad for PES as it just works best for that game IMO. My vote would go with the X-Box pad though, due to build quality, superb analogue sticks, comfort and the fantastic analogue triggers. I can use both the original and S pad equally well but am used to the S pad now.

2. Mendes

Mendes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Xbox original one for me.
    Dont like the ps2. The pad is too small (and i dont have large hands) and 10 minutes after using those analogue stick make my thumbs hurt. When you think about the natural position of your thumbs they are at an angle where as the postion you have to put them to use the ps2 seems to go against this IMHO.
    As for the Gamecube, looks like something youd get from 'Early Learning' and would break if an adult got hold of it. Can't get use to the button and sticks on that either.

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    no way how the hell does xbox lead. the ps2 controller is near enough perfection. maybe a set of analouge triggers and its there. so comfy to hold. id prefer on the xbox controller if the dpad and left analouge stick was swapped around. my fav controller from any era is still the n64 pad :D bond on that was a joy to play

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    The PS2 controllers analogue sticks are terrible, what an awful position to have them in! Also the fact that it doesnt have analogue triggers means that it is rubbish for racing games.

The wavebird is 2nd best, it is a great controller, what innovation!

The xbox large controller is the best IMO for reasons outlined above.

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Not next gen, but the N64 controller was a great one.

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    I must say that I am a fan of the wavebird controller in that it's wireless function works great and batteries last for ever! It's still a poor pad though in terms of it's design - too small, z button in a silly place, terible trigger buttons, analogue sticks that even make the PS2 ones look superb - infact they are so unresponsive that they are almost digital!

7. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE The best pad ever made, ever ever ever :D :clap:

8. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    for ergonomics the ps2 pad wins (i have small hands). the xbox pad has the best analogue sticks, but a terrible d pad and awkwardly placed black and white buttons. GC pad is comfortable but the problems mentioned above.
    So overall for me its the ps2 pad, i agree its not the most technically advanced pad but after hours and hours of use its the most intuitive and comfortable. You have simultaneous access to 8 buttons while using one analogue stick and 4 buttons while using both, no other controller provides this amount of flexibility (add two more buttons with r3 and l3). Also all the buttons are analogue (pressure sensitive) which is put to great use in some game such as mgs3. Maybe not as good as full analogue but a great compromise (also the xbox buttons are analogue too i think)
    As for the dc controller, not very comfortable but it had the ultra unique memory unit with lcd display (pretty underused really). unfortunately the memory unit and vibration pack made it too bulky. The Saturn had the ultimate d pad imo.

9. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Poontang needs to stop drinking those sugar drinks! xbox wins for me with the Controller S just edging the original duke... Best analogue sticks, together with proper triggers are a step above anything else on the market. The 360 pads look a perfect evolution of this with the black and whites moving to just above the triggers. Perfect.

The GC is the comfiest controller, and the Wavebird deserves a special mention. Excellent piece of kit. Why isn't the C-stick analogue though?! Doh!

I really struggle to get on with the dualshock, its a bit all over the place. Pressure sensitive buttons don't even come close to a proper trigger. Almost impossible to use in FPS's, but Pro Evo is made for it. About the only title that was...

Loved the display on the DC controller, should've been used more imagintively.

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Surprisingly I prefer the original xbox pad - it has the best fit for my hands! :)

11. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    i bought a bottle of Dr Pepper t' other day that didn't have any sugar in it, some fancy new drivel called 'Z' - whats the point.

Agree 100% with what you say there mate, apart from the 's' bit obviously. Perhaps if you used a duke you'd be able to play Forza :devil:

12. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Ah - bought the Fanatec wheel for Forza now - its a touch of class! But true, the duke > controller s for driving games, seems like there's more control...

13. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    My vote goes to PS2, I have used xbox and ps2 controllers, and honestly when I played game with xbox controller I felt pain in my hand as if I shoke hand with kingkong, even though I was using S version, when i played time splitter2 on Xbox which I have played on PS2 as well, even though game looked good on Xbox but due to awkward controller, I found game on Xbox difficult to play.

14. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    :eek: Cube pad easily has the best analog stick!, followed closely by the Xbox with the PS2 pad miles behind

15. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    original xbox pad followed by the DC one. PS pads give me hand cramps