• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What is your default browser?

What is your default browser?

• Safari

Votes: 42 53.2%
  • Chrome

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Firefox

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Opera

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Internet Explorer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

eximo

Prominent Member
So with ML installed with new Safari 6 i am trying to use Safari again as my default browser.

Normally with each release of Safari i try it as my default browser but I get frustrated with it eating memory, the lack of extensions and little things like default restoring browser session and having seperate search and address bars.

Which is why Chrome has been my default browser for sometime now, and with the recent release on iOS has made browsing a lot easier between devices however Chrome for iOS cannot be made default browser and from within the app you cannot use the open with... to upload to dropbox for example.

So i am retrying Safari as my default browser again purely for its integration with iOS devices and was wondering what everyone else uses and why...

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Safari is a my default browser yet I tend to mainly use Google chrome for my main browsing (with firefox for banking due an add on I have)

PeterH988

Prominent Member
Safari for virtually everything, firefox for one particularly annoying site that forces ads upon you. Firefox adblock stops it, safari adblock doesn't for some reason.

malk

Prominent Member
mines Safari,but on the ipad,chrome,the missus didnt click with safari on the ipad,so did the good thing and chose chrome.
I forgot how good it is to use,and i think i may well be doing chrome on here in the near future,on my MBP.....

Mhoram

Established Member
I'm using chrome, I find safari a bit drab, grey bookmarks with no icons :/ There might be a way of getting them on but I can't find it.

RobM

Distinguished Member
Chrome for me. It used to be Firefox, but it got slow and crap so I moved to Chrome and never moved back. With iOS, Android, Windows and Mac versions it's very convenient, as my settings and bookmarks are automatically sync'd.

Jase Winter

Prominent Member
I used to swear by chrome but when I switched to mac I started giving safari a go, mainly because I could sync bookmarks to iPad and iPhone, now and even more so with the improvements in Mountain Lion, it's my go to browser, all the features I used in chrome are now in safari anyway (note: features I use, i'm not saying all features are!).

GIZTO29

Prominent Member
I just received my first Mac (Retina) yesterday and while ive always used chrome on windows and somewhat on my ipad i found that within 30 mins on the Retina display i had sore eyes and a bad head. The text, infact whole pages look rubbish imo so im trying to use Safari which im starting to like now :)

D

Deleted member 27989

Safari most definitely....and wouldn't leave it especially with the iCloud tabbed browsing...Continue my browsing across any of my devices...Brilliant..

hutch

Distinguished Member
I just received my first Mac (Retina) yesterday and while ive always used chrome on windows and somewhat on my ipad i found that within 30 mins on the Retina display i had sore eyes and a bad head. The text, infact whole pages look rubbish imo so im trying to use Safari which im starting to like now :)
Same here, Chrome Canary does fix quite a lot of the problems but its still not 100% yet.

MarkR

Prominent Member
Safari for me too - works so well throughout all my devices and makes life so much easier.

eximo

Prominent Member
what extensions are people using in Safari? Im missing xbox live friends that i had on chrome but thats about it so far. Got the same Dev extensions and Adblock...

D

Deleted member 27989

The only extension I use is 1password, a few development ones for checking a website but that is it...

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member
I use Firefox mainly because of the Stylish add-on so I can use the variable width option for AV Forums.

There is a Stylish add-on for Chrome, but I just can't get the AVF variable width to work. If I could get it to work I would switch to Chrome.

RobM

Distinguished Member
I use Firefox mainly because of the Stylish add-on so I can use the variable width option for AV Forums.

There is a Stylish add-on for Chrome, but I just can't get the AVF variable width to work. If I could get it to work I would switch to Chrome.

Likewise, it stopped working after one of the later forum design changes. It's one reason I don't spend as much time here these days :(

Steven

Senior Moderator
Firefox. Awesome bar is... well, awesome. If Google ever implement the same thing for Chrome then would happily switch

Incidentally since FF update and rss feeds only loaded when you hover over them with mouse click, it has eliminated the spinning pinwheel first time FF is booted up

CH_Peter

Prominent Member
Safari for bookmark sync across devices, cloud tabs (so handy), Reader and Reading List. I have always liked Safari's progress bar, gestures, design and integration. I ditched FF a long time ago for its style choices and it seemed to bog down a lot. Chrome is OK, but it makes some awful design errors.

I don't think that speed in real world terms is a deciding factor anymore. Waiting a fraction of a second here or there is nothing.

Moiizer

Prominent Member
Purchased a mac mini recently (my first mac :D ) and prior to this was Chrome all the way, but since getting the mini and ML i havent bothered with chrome, dont know if its new toy syndrome and i feel rude using another browser on a mac lol but safari has been a dream so far :)

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom