What Is Your Choice?

720p or 1080i

• 720p

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • 1080i

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

alan1572

my ageing Pioneer 436 can't do 1080p, so if it was your tv and you can't buy a new one one, what would you have, 720p or 1080i?

kingfats

Distinguished Member
my ageing Pioneer 436 can't do 1080p, so if it was your tv and you can't buy a new one one, what would you have, 720p or 1080i?

Hi alan1572. :)
Your TV can still accept and display 1080p/24 (downscaled) properly :cool: which even a lot of new plasma's can't do! :D
All the best.

alan1572

hey kingfats, you just said something that i think i would find very interesting in an interesting sort of way if i thought i knew what the things you said actually meant, BTW i don't really understand all of this (incase you hadn't noticed) what's the 24 bit?
cheer's.

alan1572

also while i'm at it, it's a 506 not a 436, does that make any difference to your reply?

kingfats

Distinguished Member
also while i'm at it, it's a 506 not a 436, does that make any difference to your reply?

Hi mate. :)
I used to have the 506 :D with Blu-ray (HD) discs @ 1080p/24 you get judder on camera pans if your TV can't display this properly :smashin: from the 6th gen (yours ;)) the Pioneers have been able to do this. :cool:
In the case of your TV and the current 768p Pioneer range,the 1080p signal gets downscaled to the TV's native resolution............768p. :)
Cheers.

Protoplasm

Without wishing to speak for kingfats, I believe he's saying that your TV can accept a 1080p input so why worry about whether 1080i/720p is better ... give your display the best input you can and let it handle it[1].

Removing your particular display from the equation, my personal answer would depend on the source material. For sports, e.g. football in my case, I'd pick 720p everytime.

Also, depending on your normal viewing distance, and given the resolution of the display in question, I wonder whether you could spot the difference between 1080 or 720 anyway?

[1] Unless you have decent upscaling hardware or other such equipment in your arsenal.

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure what you're asking? What do you mean by "what would you have?"

(Ignoring the fact it can accept a 1080p signal so the question is moot anyhow)

alan1572

i don't understand then why when i set the panny bd30 to output 1080p my tv screen goes blank and i have to do the old "hold play and stop" to soft reset it (dvd player) i then set it to auto and i get 1125i.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
i don't understand then why when i set the panny bd30 to output 1080p my tv screen goes blank and i have to do the old "hold play and stop" to soft reset it (dvd player) i then set it to auto and i get 1125i.

Hi alan1572. :)
Set the BD30 to 1080p/24 :cool: then try. :smashin:
All the best.

alan1572

i will do so without delay.:thumbsup:

alan1572

you are indeed the king, cheer's very much.
BTW what is the "24" part?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom