What is Yamaha’s MusicCast? - article discussion

Are they too late to the party though? And is it good enough to challenge Sonos' 75-80% (figures I was shown on some Sony training recently) share of the market?

Sweet. Pro's that I see for now: you can make it as extensive as you like, not capsuled into an eco system (you can add easily into an existing system.)

To be determined: SQ and Q of connection. Although i am sure Yamaha will have thought it true...

I have an MCX-1000 MusicCast. Would love to see a firmware upgrade that makes it compatible with the new system!

MusicCast has been around longer than Sonos!

Yes, with their original system. Where have they been the last 7 years or so?

Does this mean that you could setup a wired/wireless speaker system? I'm thinking about wired fronts but wireless rears and ceiling speakers (maybe).

Does this mean that you could setup a wired/wireless speaker system? I'm thinking about wired fronts but wireless rears and ceiling speakers (maybe).
It's a multi-room music streaming feature rather than wireless AV. For multi-channel movies and music, I'd stick to wired speakers - more choice and easier, as every wireless speaker would need a mains socket.

It's a multi-room music streaming feature rather than wireless AV. For multi-channel movies and music, I'd stick to wired speakers - more choice and easier, as every wireless speaker would need a mains socket.

Thought it was. I've got plenty of sockets but can't get speaker cables to the rear without destroying half the house :(.

KEF used to produce a universal wireless kit which comprised of a sender to plug into your AV receiver, and a receiver/amp to drive a pair of rear speakers. Obviously it plugs in the mains so it can power a pair of speakers. Discontinued now though, but you may find a used one somewhere.

KEF Universal Wireless System review - CNET

I'm quite dissappointed with MusicCast after spending time with it on my A1050. A replacement for Sonos it isn't. Although the sound quality and connectivity is really good the ipad app certainly needs vast improvements. No playlists, no search facility, no artwork unless the files are on the ipad. Not a patch on what the Sonos can offer. Hopefully it will improve but as it is, it's way behind the other things on the market

I'm quite dissappointed with MusicCast after spending time with it on my A1050.
Can I ask whether you are sending the audio to another musiccast speaker (Yamaha product) or to another brand of wireless speaker?
I am looking at the 1050 now solely because of musiccast. I would ultimately want it to send the audio its outputting through the 5.1 system to a remote wireless speaker in another room without having to buy 'bridges' , 'hubs' and god knows what.

Can I ask whether you are sending the audio to another musiccast speaker (Yamaha product) or to another brand of wireless speaker?
I am looking at the 1050 now solely because of musiccast. I would ultimately want it to send the audio its outputting through the 5.1 system to a remote wireless speaker in another room without having to buy 'bridges' , 'hubs' and god knows what.
Don't get me wrong the quality is great, I'm streaming from various devices into the 1050 which plays to the amps attached speakers. It's the lack of functionality compared to the sonos etc that I don't like,

I'm quite dissappointed with MusicCast after spending time with it on my A1050. A replacement for Sonos it isn't. Although the sound quality and connectivity is really good the ipad app certainly needs vast improvements. No playlists, no search facility, no artwork unless the files are on the ipad. Not a patch on what the Sonos can offer. Hopefully it will improve but as it is, it's way behind the other things on the market

Are you not finding playlists / artwork or search when accessing music via DLNA or USB?
Obviously there's search / artwork and playlists via the music on iOS.
This was added via the previous App. update... baring in mind that it's just version 1.02. Hardly an old app, so updates will be rolling through.
It already smashes Sonos in many areas (HDMI / coax / AM+FM / USB / High-def playback / Bluetooth receiver AND transmitter so it's not locked solely into MusicCast speakers etc) so it will be fascinating to see where it goes.
In regards for your RXA1050, it's cool that it's built in, but until you pick up one of the yet-to-be-released speakers or micro-systems, it's hard to judge just where it will end up, surely?

Are you not finding playlists / artwork or search when accessing music via DLNA or USB?
Obviously there's search / artwork and playlists via the music on iOS.
This was added via the previous App. update... baring in mind that it's just version 1.02. Hardly an old app, so updates will be rolling through.
It already smashes Sonos in many areas (HDMI / coax / AM+FM / USB / High-def playback / Bluetooth receiver AND transmitter so it's not locked solely into MusicCast speakers etc) so it will be fascinating to see where it goes.
In regards for your RXA1050, it's cool that it's built in, but until you pick up one of the yet-to-be-released speakers or micro-systems, it's hard to judge just where it will end up, surely?
Perhaps I'm just impatient but I'm a believer in if you release something it shouldn't be half done. The things that are missing are surely easy things to implement - just seems it's been rushed out, which is generally what happens nowadays.

We will always compare something new against something that we are very familiar with and that we feel is "perfect". Sonos have had 10 years to hone their product to perfection, which has been a roller coaster of a ride (particularly with regards to the control app). I know MusicCast has been out longer, but it took a back burner some time ago as it wasn't particularly successful (ahead of its time). Now Yamaha are coming back into it, you may find that over the coming months, or even years, the experience will improve, just as Sonos' has.

The biggest advantage MusicCast has is the multiple inputs it can take the audio from and then output it. No one else appears to be able to do this and as said above it doesn't have to lock you into their products.
I really like the Denon Heos speakers, they sound really nice, but then found I needed to buy the LINK for £300 to make it all work the way I wanted on top of the speaker price of £350. So like Sonos you get locked into their system and all its restrictions and associated costs. Yamaha appear to be trying to avoid that and I find that TOTALLY commendable and the MAIN reason I am now considering buying their AVR 1050 instead of the Denon I was going to purchase. To be honest artwork and such is a minor issue for me but being able to replicate whatever is being output from my AVR to the wireless speaker as well is of much more interest, so Sky music channel, blu ray soundtrack, Spotify , usb music can all be enjoyed through 5.1 in lounge and wireless speaker in kitchen all at the same time and in sync.

The only thing I am now trying to discover is if the MusicCast speakers they have launched sound any good as well? If they do then I may well invest additional speakers as well so not locking the consumer in might actually encourage them to buy more of their products not less? Absolutely cannot find any proper reviews of the speakers even though they appear to be on sale across various internet sites.

The current speakers are pretty new, so reviews may not appear straight away, but stock should be coming through shortly (not sure if they're available just yet, although many retailers will have put them on their websites already). I know we have an open day coming up that will include various MusicCast products, so it'll be interesting to see how they sound against the established equivalents.

Hi. Just wondering does music cast allow 2 people to listen to different music in different rooms using the app on their own phone or tablet?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom