1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is wrong with my setup?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SpeakerboxDude, May 16, 2004.

1. SpeakerboxDude

SpeakerboxDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a pair of Blueroom minipod speakers and a Sony STR-790 A/v receiver. I just set them up to work in conjunction with my soundcard from the line-out of my PC via a 3.5mm jack (line-out) to 2-phono (front left and right input multi channel connections). It's a 2.0 setup (with no sub woofer yet).

Now something very weird is happening. When I listen to the radio via the tuner from the A/V receiver, the minipods sound awesome and just how they are 'supposed' to sound. But when I listen to music from my PC, the minipods sound really weak, impotent and a bit suppressed. Even my pair of old £70 Boston Acoustic speakers sounded clear and better.

I originally thought it may have had something to do with the analogue connection from the PC to the a/v receiver. So I hooked up my Sony headphones to the a/v receiver and then hooked them up directly to my laptop comparing the sound quality of music played via each methods. But both sounded fine and how they should sound.

I've tried messing around with the various settings on the A/V receiver to see if I can get the speaker sound when playing music from my PC to be more like the sound when the radio plays through them. But I've had no luck. I do notice however, that I have to increase the volume considerably when playing music from my PC compared with when I play music from the tuner.

I just don't get why the speakers sound perfect when I play them through the radio but then they sound poor when I play them through my PC. The 3.5mm-2phono connection can't have anything to do with it because music through my headphones when attached to the A/V receiver sounds fine.

My minipods are connected using speaker wire that is wired to a pair of banana plugs.

Any advise, helps, tips etc.. would be so great guys...thanks in advance!!!!!

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,563
    can only think of sound card settings, mainly volume control.

Have you got the cable coming from the speaker out on the sound card or the line out?

3. SpeakerboxDude

SpeakerboxDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mjn, thanks for replying so quickly. Well my soundcard is a few years old so it only has two ports on it: a microphone line-in and a headphone/speaker out port which is connected to the a/v receiver (I guess it's probably not a line-out port if that makes a difference).

With regards to volume control settings they are all set to full potential.

:confused:

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,563
    Set the volume on the soundcard to about 3/4, as the optimum level is 0.7, before distortion creeps in.

But the fact that the sound card has no dedicated line out, could be were the problem is. As the levels for the speakers and lineouts are different.

Also check the volume level on the software you're using to play back your wav's, mp3's etc.

5. SpeakerboxDude

SpeakerboxDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh, I think as the sound is being output via a speaker port rather than a line out one may affect the sound quality. But what I don't understand is why when I listen using my headphones connected directly to the PC's speaker out port, the music is perfect just like when the a/v is played through radio. I don't even need to adjust any additional volumes settings apart from the actual physical one on the machine (it's a laptop) but that's only if I want to increase or decrease the volume.

It's hard to describe what it sounds like when I play music through the minipods from my laptop PC. The best idea I can give you is that it sounds like there is a cloth wrapped over the speaker's cones making the music sound less potent and more soft. It's not distorted just not as 'real'.

Thanks for you help mjn, really appreciate it as I'm dying to sort this out :hiya: