What Is Windows 7??

Gaz Hansen

I'm still an XP user, so to me, the natural upgrade path would be to jump up to Vista once my hardware is improved. Though many of you are talking about Windows 7 Beta, RC, different revisions etc...

Is windows 7 a direct replacement / upgrade to Vista? Does it come in 32/64 bit variants? Or is it simply an OS that provides something different, like Ubuntu, and nothing mainstream?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Windows 7 is the replacement for Windows Vista. Unlike Windows Vista it's mostly small tweaks and additions, which it why it's out in three years instead of five.

It'll be released late this year or early next year so you may want to wait until then to upgrade your hardware. Microsoft have released a test version (RC) to help find bugs before the release, but this one has an unusually far expiry time (next march) so some techie people are adopting it as their main OS and only maintaining another install of a different version for stuff you wouldn't trust to a test version (e.g. online banking, deadlines etc.)

i personally love windows 7 its user freindly and i think il be definatley buying it when it comes out currently running the test version as my main os and not had any problems. to the above poster could you explain why it shouldnt be used for banking as i thought that was down to the actual security of the site and the banks end ? and as i use it a lot for that would be intresting to know your view why and for what reason and act acordingly ?

skull_bone

I think he means that Windows 7 isnt being used by the banks.

I use W7 and have found it be a very fast reliable and enjoyable OS to use. I've upgraded both my pc's to W7, one from XP Pro and the other from Vista Ultimate. I would bypass Vista and go straight to W7. Definately. You probably won't have to upgrade your Spec either, since it's designed to be easier to run on older spec hardware. I'll be installing it on a socket 939 AMD system soon, so will be able to see how well it runs on older kit.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
You probably won't have to upgrade your Spec either, since it's designed to be easier to run on older spec hardware.
Sorry, but I can't let this myth be repeated again. Windows 7 requires the same hardware spec as Vista. However, the code appears to have been optimised to it runs slightly faster on the same hardware.

treacle

Sorry, but I can't let this myth be repeated again. Windows 7 requires the same hardware spec as Vista. However, the code appears to have been optimised to it runs slightly faster on the same hardware.

Don't forget many of Vista applications aren't included in the system and need to be selected for installation.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
could you explain why it shouldnt be used for banking as i thought that was down to the actual security of the site and the banks end ?

Because it's beta software and band new, you don't know what bugs are going to pop up in the first few months of it's widespread use. A good example is the discovery last year of google chrome making your bank details availible to anyone using the computer: Chrome Crisis: Indexes Bank Accounts? - Software News - TrustedReviews

Waiting until after it's established won't stop any major exploits from being uncovered - but it should seriously reduce the chances.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom