1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is/will be best type of screen for HDTV??

Discussion in 'TVs' started by phetttt, Aug 14, 2005.

1. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks

Shortly I will be returning my Sagem Hd L-27 to QVC.

I have read these forums for months in preparation for getting a HD screen of some kind.
    I bought an unscaling dvd player (denon 1910), soft-modded my xbox, got component cables for my gc when I was in Japan.

So when I saw the Sagem for £700 on QVC I jumped at the chance. However, I was left dissapointed, although I was happy using the xbox, ( some games like pgr3 and doom were too dark) the screen was giving me eye strain after watching for a prolonged time (eg 1 1/2 hours) and I noticed that If watching a dvd when the camera panned to a scene there would be a judder.

Could this be down to response time? Instead of being blown away by dvd I was annoyed and had sore eyes!

So my point is- should I look at plasma or dlp or even an optoma movietime projector, or chuck it and sell my denon & stick to my 24 inch toshiba?

Do plasma and dlps suffer from poor response times?

Or even wait 5 years? If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful…

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I think only LCDs suffer from bad response. I think the more expensive the panel the faster the response time. Newer LCDs will of course cut down the response time.

Plasmas are generaly good but have a few problems of their own. Like screen burning, low resolutions and lower brightness/contrast compared to LCD's.

On the up side, the size and price ratio is in plasmas favour. But newer larger LCDs are geting cheaper.

I have a plasma now and I think in the future I would get either an LCD, OLED/PLED or a projector to replace my plasma.
    Toshiba are also working on their own format but cant remember what its called.

My advice is get a demo before you buy and make sure its exactly what you want. Its a big investment and you dont want to end up buying something you dont like.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There will always be a better one along in 5 years' time :)

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - it will be interesting to see if SED (which is a bit like having a CRT tube per pixel) delivers. If it has the colour and contrast performance of CRT, but the geometry of a plasma or an LCD it could be great.

5. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your answers…

perhaps i should wait

no-one in the plasma or dlp rproj threads seem to have an answer for me though, you guys must be the only experts!!!

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Well i dont know about that :D
    But i bet the plasma people will be more biased towards plasmas!

Even though I have a plasma, im liking it less and less as new LCDs an other formats are starting to get better and better.
    Plasmas seem to be left behind as other stuff gets better.

If plasma panel makers cant generate a true HD plasma panel (ie 1920X1080i/p), then Im guessing that the format will eventually be phased out.

SED or OLED could be the way forward. As well as LCD.

Projectors I feel are only good for a full on home theater.
    If you want to use it for every day TV watching and other things like gaming (PS3 and XBox 360 will need HD panels) then I dont think a PJ is the best solution.

I beleive the bulbs have to be replaced every so often which isnt a problem if you only use it on weekends to watch a movie which only lasts 2 hours.
    But if you use it every day I dont think the bulbs would last long enough.

Then theres the whole light issue. To see the projection properly you have to make your room as dark as possible. Not exactly suitable when you have guests round, or are trying to have dinner.

Rear projectors eliminate the lighting problem, but not the bulb issue.

7. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Were you watching a region 2 DVD? If so then one possible explanation is that panel is internally converting incoming 50Hz signals to 60Hz.

While CRT TVs display both 50Hz and 60Hz signals natively, flat panels often have a fixed frame rate, usually 60Hz, which is fine if you live in the US or Japan where DVDs and TV broadcasts are encoded at 60Hz, but not so fine if you live in 50Hz Europe. One of the on-going arguments over video standards regards the benefits of running films 4% fast in 50Hz countries with smooth motion versus the slightly juddery look of films shown in 60Hz countries at the correct speed (due to 3-2 pulldown). Unfortunately if you have a panel that doesn't run at 50Hz native then you have the worst of both worlds - a 4% speed-up AND judder.

8. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    AIUI Plasmas don't run at 50 or 60Hs natively - they run at a much higher rate (300Hz plus) and use sub-fields to partially create a grey-scale? (If you chew or move your head quickly when watching a plasma you often see the sub-fields, as the picture appears more posterised)

9. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi thanks for replies,

yes it was a region2 dvd, but it's too late for me now,the tv is going back tomorrow, so i'll guess it will be oled or whatever is brought out in the next 5 years, unless lcds make a quantum leap. Thanks for your advice…

ps AML do you live in Japan? what's it like having hi-def broadcasting?

10. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I do live in Japan.
    Hi Def TV is certainly nice to watch. Breath taking at first. But if theres nothing to watch......

There are only so many "how to make a kimono" programs I can take!! :boring:

Best stuff ive seen so far were some movies they showed at weekends in 1080i with 5.1. Also the last olimpics were nice.

US broadcasting seems to be better as they show tons of good programing.
    Almost all TV shows are in hi def now.

Just remember that even if you have HDTV, unless they put good stuff on, you wont sit in front of the TV as much as you think.
    These days i just download HD TV rips from US tv shows and watch them on my HTPC conected to my plasma. Japanese Tv stays off most of the time.

11. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you don't want to just sit and wait for years then DLP rear-pro works pretty well for now & is much cheaper than Plasma. It is true that the bulb will need replacing at some point, but they last a fair while (thousands of hours) - and the upside is that the picture is always great - no screen burn etc. They are quite visible in ordinary daylight, have fast response times, are natively high-def (at 720 currently, with 1080 models just being launched) and usually have a great picture quality. The only thing I would suggest checking first is that a very few people (sub 1% in my experience) are prone to eyestrain due to the colour wheel (See DLP thread for more details) - the vast majority of people have absolutely no issues and can watch for hours with no problems at all. I will look at something like OLED when it's out, but for now we are delighted with our DLP rear-pro (a Samsung SP50)
    Cheers
    Greg

12. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You kind of get what you pay for and technology is moving forwards in leaps and bounds so models can be updated frequently (both in hardware and software) - progress may make things cheaper but not necessarily better.

Whilst I confess that I know little about this make and model, what limited specifications that are published (things like response time are omitted from the specifications) about this model panel and a review that I have read would indicate that this TV is not a great example of LCD TV technology with motion issues being mentioned in the review.

I would not rule out a particular technology just because of your experiences with a single make and model. I would bet that you would find something that would please you from the better LCD products or plasma's/DLP's etc.

-Ian