What is this weird thing happening to my monitor(s) - Iiyama G-Master

Sun

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I can't quite work out whether I have a software or hardware problem. Hopefully someone has seen this before and could give some advice.

I have two Iiyama Red Eagle G-Master GB2770QSU monitors, they're about 4 months old, they are 165Hz and I have G-sync turned on. Since I got them I experience weird ghosting / interlacing issues, usually when it's on a black background but It is intermittent. It's a Windows 10 pc, GTX1080 card, drivers up to date. I'm using brand new displayport cables that came with the monitors and both monitors and cables have displayed the issue.

What happens is that I begin seeing vertical lines on the screen, they begin increasing in visibility and then eventually I'm left with really strong image retention, so much so that just scrolling with my mouse through whatever is on the screen will ghost bits over eachother, like in a store or tracks on spotify. I minimise the windows and it begins to fade away. From what I've noticed it common with Spotify and Firefox, I use both in dark mode and that seems to be a key factor.

In the example below I had been on the Epic Games Store, which is all black, I noticed the lines appearing, I minimised it and as you can see I have the outline of the games store on my windows desktop. In the 5th picture with the windows clock displayed you can see the lines very clearly.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm still in warranty, it's an issue which has occurred since the beginning but it's a good pair of monitors and if it's software related I'd rather try and resolve it and avoid having the same issue with another pair.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20220208_231832.jpg
    IMG_20220208_231832.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 1,289
  • IMG_20220208_231837.jpg
    IMG_20220208_231837.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 1,184
  • IMG_20220208_231849.jpg
    IMG_20220208_231849.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 1,092
  • IMG_20220208_231858.jpg
    IMG_20220208_231858.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 1,062
  • IMG_20220208_231904.jpg
    IMG_20220208_231904.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 1,050
  • IMG_20220208_231924.jpg
    IMG_20220208_231924.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 967
  • IMG_20220208_231934.jpg
    IMG_20220208_231934.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 1,024
If it is happening on both, it could be your video card. I would just connect 1 monitor and try different settings to see if it changes.

Have you downloaded the latest driver from Nvidia? 🤞 it's a driver issue. Can you get back to me on this, if not you want to rule out the gpu starting to artefact.

Hiya, thanks both for the responses, sorry for the delay. I was, to my genuine surprise, a little bit out of date on nvidia drivers, I did install them a few weeks before making my original post. I don't think it's happened since then but I have not actively tracked that date because I was sure I had up to date drivers. As it's always been an intermittent issue I think the best thing I can do is post back as soon as i see any hint of it again. Thanks again and I will let you know.

Cheers.

Well that was good timing! Here is a good example, I was looking at Spotify and I could see some of the album art was looking a little scan line-like. However it was only when I moused over a song that it would then make it happen everywhere on the screen. I've captured on some new pics and video.

The mouse over on a track, in dark mode, selects the track in white and in doing that it creates these interlace type scan lines on other areas of the screen, removing the mouse point returns the other area to normal. The longer the scan lines are left on the screen the more the image retention is visible when I return to an app which is lighter in terms of it's colour.

Pics are with and without issue, then image retention on a diff app, same monitor, then another example of with and without issue.

Video not working :/

Difficult to capture on video well but you can see it properly from about 35 seconds in, as i select a track the scroll bar on the left repeatedly changes. If you look at 1:30ish you can see the effect it has on images which makes it a lot more obvious, I mouse over a track repeatedly nd the album art changes each time.

Attachments

• IMG_20220314_120118.jpg
    IMG_20220314_120118.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 912
  • IMG_20220314_120111.jpg
    IMG_20220314_120111.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 800
  • IMG_20220314_120028.jpg
    IMG_20220314_120028.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 751
  • IMG_20220314_115937.jpg
    IMG_20220314_115937.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_20220314_115930.jpg
    IMG_20220314_115930.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 787
Not looking great, it looks like artifacts, I'd be concerned your gpu is on the way out. Don't take my word for it, download and run furmark for an hour, if possible, screenshot the result and post back here if you are unsure.

Hi there, I found this thread while trying to find a solution myself.

I have the exact same problem. I run 2 GB2770QSU on a GTX 770, 1 Monitor@120Hz DP and 1 Monitor@60Hz HDMI.
I used two older LG E2442 before that with zero problems.

I can not reproduce the problem reliably, but it seems to have to do with putting dark mode apps like spotify or steam or firefox in fullscreen mode. Sometimes just horizontal black lines will appear, like every second pixel row, sometimes the windowed app will leave a "shadow" like you described it. Turning the monitors off/on will not reset the image automatically, I even had some artifacts the next day after a cold boot. Playing around with Hz settings, Resolutions, etc. will sometimes help.
To me it seems to be a display problem where some "pixel rows get stuck" and are not refreshed correctly.

I installed the iiyama monitor driver yesterday to replace the Generic PnP one from windows, so far it didn't occure again, but it was just yesterday so I don't know if this is really the fix, yet.

Please update if you find any new info on this.
Cheers

Last edited:
Hi there, I found this thread while trying to find a solution myself.

I have the exact same problem. I run 2 GB2770QSU on a GTX 770, 1 Monitor@120Hz DP and 1 Monitor@60Hz HDMI.
I used two older LG E2442 before that with zero problems.

I can not reproduce the problem reliably, but it seems to have to do with putting dark mode apps like spotify or steam or firefox in fullscreen mode. Sometimes just horizontal black lines will appear, like every second pixel row, sometimes the windowed app will leave a "shadow" like you described it. Turning the monitors off/on will not reset the image automatically, I even had some artifacts the next day after a cold boot. Playing around with Hz settings, Resolutions, etc. will sometimes help.
To me it seems to be a display problem where some "pixel rows get stuck" and are not refreshed correctly.

I installed the iiyama monitor driver yesterday to replace the Generic PnP one from windows, so far it didn't occure again, but it was just yesterday so I don't know if this is really the fix, yet.

Please update if you find any new info on this.
Cheers
Hi @brown1e i'm both sorry and pleased to hear you're having the same issue! My issue has been more regular since my last post, it's happening every few days on either of my monitors. Like you I have tried the iiyama drivers and that did not help and nor has switching off freesync or any of the obvious sesstings.

@77red96 and @Bolosun, thank you both for your suggestions, at this stage I don't believe it is my GTX 1080 because like brown1e, i have no issue with a different monitor, coincidentally also LG. The other day when it started happening on monitor #2 I simply switched the two display ports around on the back of the 1080 so that output 2 was going to monitor #1 and output 1 to monitor #2. All of the pixellation/lines stayed visible on the monitor #2 where they were originally, they didn't move to monitor #1. To my mind that goes some way to further rule out cables and the card itself.

I am going to contact the supplirt, where they were purchased from and see what they say, they may push me to iiyama for investigation but I'm finally at the stage where I accept something definitely needs to happen.

Last edited:
Just as I wrote a lenghty post about me not having the problem since using the iiyama driver and color profile it happend again. :(

I think we can rule out cables and graphic cards.
It's some obscure software bug or the hardware is at fault, perhaps a combination.

Please update if you receive any updates on this. Thank you

Last edited:
Hey folks,

Same monitor and stumbled upon this discussion while looking for some answers. Same, same annoying intermittent issues.

I highly doubt that all of us have issues with gpus or cables, so most likely monitor is at fault. I am already scheduled to send my back to manufacturer for the repair.

Will keep you posted once I get it back.

They have returned my monitor after "fixing it"
4032-3024-max.jpg

Will be following up with them again, and the the shop that sold it to me itself if it does not help.

Exact Same Problem On mine, Have two provided by work incredibly.
  • Two screens Both have the problem
  • Two sources (work laptop with dock and gaming pc), both produce the problem
  • Problem carries over between the two sources
  • Both HDMI and DP inputs cause the issue
  • Can usually fix it by just leaving the screen for a bit
  • artifacts flickers on lower refresh rates
  • Artifacts appear for high or low refresh rates
  • Tends to happen more (for me) when I full screen a word document / web page with dark edges and bright content (youtube dark mode / Microsoft Word Dark mode)

Has anyone tried to return these under warranty and had success? Its complicated for me since they're work equipment

@Ryix You have described everything with 9999999% accuracy. Maybe you should be the one working for IIYAMA haha, since they apparently do not see any issues with all of these problems.
I just right now was able to return it back to the shop (CoolBlue). I am in Netherlands though, so not sure if that helps.

I just called them and told that IIYAMA was not able to fix the problem and I need a screen for work, and asked for store credit, they obliged.

Just wanted to pitch in - I am having the same issue. I run a triple monitor setup (Iiyama PL2770QS) on Nvidia RTX 2080 Super. It's happening every so often on different screens (it's not all at the same time)
Not sure when it exactly started happening (I think couple of weeks ago). But I would rule out cables & Graphics card personally - because the ''burn in'' of the vertical lines, stay even when restarting the PC. They do 'fix' themselves after some time...

So personally I was more thinking about Display Driver issue?

Did anyone manage to find a solution already? :D

Hi Arthesian,

I was hoping someone else had managed to get some kind of traction from iiyama since dealing with mine will involve an extra layer of complexity with them being work equipment.

Its definitely an unusual issue, my guesses would be either the hardware or the firmware as the image persists even when disconnected and having been powered down. Whatever is supposed to be setting the liquid crystals in each individual column of pixels must for some reason, not be able to, or not trying to update these specific rows. a firmware crash & subsequent recovery would explain why its still updating some. But a hardware issue, not enough voltage or a short, could also explain it.

Hoping someone is dealing with iiyama directly

I had no issues the last couple of weeks. I suspect it was faulty software/drivers, so check if you have the latest windows version, graphic card and iiyama monitor drivers installed.

Would be interesting to know if someone running linux has the same issue.

Hi everyone, I missed the notifications on this thread, sad to hear you're all having the same issue but reassured it wasn't just me! I had also previously tried the Iiyama drivers and profile but it didn't help.

My monitors went back to Iiyama repairs this week, their status is "replacement parts ordered" but without any more info it's no telling if that actually means anything. I did find before sending them back that the issue was made less frequent by ensuring windows display settings was managing HDR, that then switched off the built in monitor image settings but I was still able to make it happen with dark windows, it just seemed to happen less on it's own.

Will report back when they arrive, best of luck everyone!

I'm in the same boat unfortunately. Also dual GB2770QSU setup
(seems everyone who has this problem is running a dual or triple monitor setup?)

For me the problem starts when (part of) the screen is displaying some form of video. Usually when the surveilance feed pops-up. Always vertical lines, never horizontal, and only on the monitor showing the video.

Also tried everything: driver updates, other cables (both HDMI and DP), other video card (tried GTX1050, GTX1660 and GTX3060), different resolutions, different sync rates. It all makes no difference.

Hi Guys, I thought I'd let you know I have two GB2770QSU monitors and have the exact same problem you describe. It started after about 4 weeks on the first monitor, which I then returned, and then about 2 weeks later the second one failed. (See images below - inc. comparison between the "OK" monitor and the "bad" one). I've done extensive tests - it's clearly hardware/firmware and not devices. Both failed at 60, 120, 144 and 165hz. Ghosting prevalent with image artifacts remaining even between input switching (DP, HDMI), laptops/desktop, and even persists between power cycles!

What triggers mine is using web.whatsapp.com with dark mode in Chrome/Edge (dark mode also) fullscreen browser. This starts off the flickering and artifacting and it gets steadily worse if the image remains, but after switching tabs it fades away after 10-20 mins (on one occasion it took about 2 hours). Seems to take longer the more I "expose" it to certain images.

There's clearly an algorithm of some such at play which perhaps optimises pixel response/refresh depending on the displayed image, with certain layouts triggering it.

Second monitor on its way back soon - despite CCL telling me "our testing revealed no faults" - which is true, because it's dependent on what you do with the screen!

Madness.

Attachments

• striping.jpeg
    striping.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 879
  • monitor comparison.jpeg
    monitor comparison.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 1,110
Hey people, just wanted to add my story here.
Same problem as all of you. Had it with a dual and triple monitor setup, and a 3060ti driving the screens. I've contacted iiyama support often for the past 8 months. They sent me a replacement model after I encountered the issue, but that one had the exact same issues. After months of back and forth, customer support insisted that they'd send me another (same) model. I just received that one. I don't think this will do anything since it's probably some hardware/software configuration that slipped past their testing, but I will keep you up to date. If this one displays the same issue I will insist on receiving a refund, or another type of monitor as a replacement. Please keep sharing your stories, hopefully iiyama will actually do something about the issue if enough people encounter it.

(such a shame by the way, because I love this monitor when it's working properly!)

Hi,

I had the same problem. I wrote to iiyama service center, provided them with web site (+photos), that was triggering the issue: ArrowOS - Downloads. After that they asked to start RMA process. They wrote in their final report, that only firmware was updated.

Right now my monitor seems to be fixed, I cannot reproduce it anymore. If someone has more examples which triggeres this issue, I'm willing to retest it with my setup. I'm interested especially in web sites.

** I FIXED PROBLEM *

Hi all, i have this problem on IIYAMA G-master GB2770QSU and i fix problem with vertical lines.
How I discovered the solution: I saw that there are no vertical lines on the test if HDR support is enabled in Windows. Then I turned HDR off and started changing the gamma setting in the monitor menu. I started switching modes and found that the vertical lines take on gamma 2. If you do not use gamma 2, there will be no vertical lines or HDR.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom