What is this on my new projector?

hitman2411

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have an issue with my new projector and have taken a photo of it, before I go into any detail can anyone spot anything wrong with the image that would concern them (please ignore the two 'scuff marks' near the top of the image, they are marks on the wall) focus please on the centre of the screenshot. Would just like other folks comments before I take this any further and that i'm not seeing things :eek:

Cheers :thumbsup:

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/2562/img1127bw.jpg

you have 2 bands across the screen near the centre?

edit: make that 3, small one at top

get it repleaced for a new one mate.

you have 2 bands across the screen near the centre?

edit: make that 3, small one at top

Yeap, and glad someone else can now see this and that i'm not going mad :) So yes, I seem to have some bands appearing horizontally across the screen...

Okey doke, now I can explain more....

This is my second TW3500, the first had very bad convergence issues and was replaced with this, it now has 100 hours on it. I first started to notice the bands a few films back but thought it was just my eyes, unfortunately I can now see them on most sources I feed the projector.

I have tried it on both HDMI connections, both directly and through my HTX22HD, the banding still appears. I have also tried it on component via the 360 and vga with the pc, with banding is still appearing. On the hdmi I have tried 3 different cables all with the same effect :mad:

I am presuming this would classed as yet another 'fault', or is there anything else I could try before contacting the projector company I bought it off. Once again, thanks for any repsonses/suggestions

Has anyone any recommendations to try before I contact the shop I bought it from? Or should I just request another replacement?

Last edited:
Does it only do it when the source is the 360?

Nope, does it on all inputs and all machines. So have seen it on VGA via PC, PS3 via HDMI, Sony BSP350 via hdmi, 360 via component or hdmi and WDTV through hdmi :(

Looks like its faulty then to me. A bit unlucky to have two faulty projectors though. I've got a TW3500 and its a bit worrying as there seems to be a few with odd faults from the first few batches of them.

Mines not set up yet, so who knows what I'll find wrong with it.

Looks like its faulty then to me. A bit unlucky to have two faulty projectors though. I've got a TW3500 and its a bit worrying as there seems to be a few with odd faults from the first few batches of them.

Mines not set up yet, so who knows what I'll find wrong with it.

Yeah, I don't seem to have much luck, this is actually the third problem I have with a new projector, the very first one I ordered a HD200X was delivered broken too, to think my trusty AE900 lasted almost 4 years without a glitch (and was still working a1 when I sold it on to buy the tw3500)

I've emailed the company I bought it from with a few pics to see what they say :(

Got mine last week and reading this it makes you a bit paranoid. I am very pleased with it but have a couple of things to ask.

On sky hd feed through hdmi when on absolute full screen(no bars) on an sd channel there is a step in the top and bottom of the picture of about 1cm which flickers on and off. The top is the reverse of the bottom. this step does not run through the picture, just the very top and bottom. It is not evident at all through the xbox using the same hdmi lead or on the test screen of the projector. I assume it is the sky hd box and its interlacing that is the problem. Any ideas?

Is there more motion blur with 1080i? Its not bad(better than my plasma) but just wondered if 1080p blueray is better? I dont have a blueray player yet to try.

When you go to info when the xbox is feeding it via hdmi it says rgb/video(i think) with the right resolution but when sky hd is being fed it says 1080i. I have the xbox set to 1080p so why would the projector not say that?

I am just nit picking and want to check it is set up right, I am very pleased with it. I will check I dont have those bars on it though.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Thanks for any help

It seems as I'm now over my 30 days I have to contact Epson direct about this

That is not the case at all. Under the UK Sale Of Goods Act your warranty is with the retailer that sold it to you and it is their responsibility to sort out any warranty issues. You should not have to contact the manufacturer yourself, that is their responsibility. If they continue to deflect your warranty enquiries towards the manufacturer then I would suggest speaking to Trading Standards.

Consumer Direct - The Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended

Although it is the responsibility of the seller to resolve this problem with the manufacturer, you may be better contacting Epson directly. Epson have a good reputation for after sales service, and taking a less than helpful seller out of the loop will probaby speed up matters.

Got mine last week and reading this it makes you a bit paranoid. I am very pleased with it but have a couple of things to ask.

On sky hd feed through hdmi when on absolute full screen(no bars) on an sd channel there is a step in the top and bottom of the picture of about 1cm which flickers on and off. The top is the reverse of the bottom. this step does not run through the picture, just the very top and bottom. It is not evident at all through the xbox using the same hdmi lead or on the test screen of the projector. I assume it is the sky hd box and its interlacing that is the problem. Any ideas?

Is there more motion blur with 1080i? Its not bad(better than my plasma) but just wondered if 1080p blueray is better? I dont have a blueray player yet to try.

When you go to info when the xbox is feeding it via hdmi it says rgb/video(i think) with the right resolution but when sky hd is being fed it says 1080i. I have the xbox set to 1080p so why would the projector not say that?

I am just nit picking and want to check it is set up right, I am very pleased with it. I will check I dont have those bars on it though.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Thanks for any help

The lines top and bottom are normal and will always depend on what you are feeding the projector. From the factory the hdmi inputs of your epson are set to auto overscan and sometimes auto gets it wrong. Basically when you take a signal from say your sky box the top and bottom of the pic can be set incorrectly and sometimes contain stuff like Teletext information (which makes it flashy), I do know the BBC reccomend an overscan of 4%.

I have a V+ box connected to my epson and a media player both via hdmi.

I have the V+ input set to more than 2% overscan (I forget exactly if its 4% or 6%, and I have the media box set to 2%.

Sounds like your fine on auto for your xbox but need to set overscan to 2 4 6 or whatever % for your sky input.

Each HDMI port remembers individually the setting so if you use a different one for each you just need to set it and leave it.

Regards

Kah

Do you put an xbox through your 3500?

On info it says 'rgb/video' with the xbox 360 even though I have the output to 1080p via hdmi. The picture is still awesome but I just wondered if this were right? With sky input it says 1080i.

Have not tried blueray yet. Do you think there will be much difference between sky hd 1080i and blueray 1080p? I know this is much talked about but wondered if you had first hand experience?

No I don't have a console at all. Not sure on this one, would have to have another X Box owner try it. If it doesnt say 1080p then I suspect it is not 1080p.

If the picture is sharp though I wouldnt worry tbh although you wont know until you try 1080p material unless the games are 1080p?

Good point.

It seems like which ever setting I put the xbox on(720p etc) it still says rgb/video but the resolution does change. The picture is great though. The quest goes on.

If the retailer is throwing the 30 day thing at you i would ask for a full refund from them NOW. Let them have the hassle of getting it replaced. I would also consider another projector.

Well i've contacted Epson and they are sending an Engineer out on Friday to me, it's defintely not gone away and have included another image :( The guy on the phone said it sounds like a problem, although he did mention getting a part fixed first though, which I don't think I'm happy about or the engineer may deem I need a replacement. I don't seem to be alone with this issue, someone on the avsforums has noted the same problem

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/7995/img1126f.jpg

Well after taking the day off work yesterday, no one had arrived by 1pm so I phoned Epson. They said, sorry, no engineer will be with you today :mad:

It seems they are awaiting a new projector replacement for me before coming, this wasn't explained to me on Monday when I originally phoned, this is just getting really annoying now :thumbsdow Plus they can't say when I'll the tw3500 will be available

Well another update. This time after being told by Epson yesterday they weren't sure when i would receive a replacement tw3500 my phone rings at 10.45 saying this is the Epson engineer i'm ten minutes from your house could I come up and swap over the projector. So I managed to get an earlier lunchbreak and got up to meet him.

Firstly, showed him the banding and he says straight away that it's a fault and that he will swap the unit out.

Good thing is that the banding is not on this 'new' projector but the convergence is still there, not to the extent of my first tw3500 but comparable to this unit getting replaced. But the reason why I have put the 'new' in quotes is that the replacement already has 15 hours on it and has a few scuff marks on it, is this usual for replacements?

I just hate it when companies feel its ok to replace a faulty item with a recon. i think the mobile phone market was the first to start this.

i would contact Epson again, your product is only 30 days old and you paid for a new item not a refurb.

i had an epson engineer out to mine. well their engineers are not PJ trained as they usually end up fixing printers. He turned up with a recon which had more hours than mine. I turned him away with it! My fault was an issue with focus, but the recon he brought was worse than mine.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom