What is this feeling called and how do you deal with it (related to hifi purchase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

password1

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
You spend months looking on ebay, classified, etc. for the right speakers you want. Nothing comes up so you decide to buy new.

You order the speakers from a dealer. To be paid on collection and order confirmed (but not paid) After you order you find out about a much cheaper price elsewhere. I'm not going to name any dealers.

Dealer has confirmed that price can't be lowered because the lower priced dealer isn't the same (less warranty)

I don't want to mess the dealer around as they've been helpful so I'm going ahead with paying a lot more.

It's not the first time Ive experienced this feeling (previously bought a sound base for £400, a few months later price dropped to £200 new or £150 open box)

What do you do to ease the pain?

Last edited:
Cancel with the dealer and buy off Ebay :D

You spend months looking on ebay, classified, etc. for the right speakers you want. Nothing comes up so you decide to buy new.

You order the speakers from a dealer. Pay on collection and order confirmed. Dealer has confirmed that price can't be lowered because the lower priced dealer isn't the same (less warranty)

After you order you find out about a much cheaper price elsewhere

I don't want to mess the dealer around as they've been helpful so I'm going ahead with paying a lot more.

It's not the first time Ive experienced this feeling (previously bought a sound base for £400, a few months later price dropped to £200)

What do you do to ease the pain?
Ask yourself the question what loyalty does/would the dealer show to you?

Cost is king in my book generally (apart from insurance policies, restaurants and holidays)

Nothing...Ive bought off them many times before.
Depends if they have let you audition countless bits of kit, or you just bought from them i.e. what is your relationship with them?

A good dealer is worth their weight in gold.

im buying blind as they dont have the speakers in stock..but they have a return period. i can demo at home and return within the return period. its still a big premium to pay.

i have no.problems with the dealer or any of the dealers near me..all offer great service..

im buying blind as they dont have the speakers in stock..but they have a return period. i can demo at home and return within the return period. its still a big premium to pay.

i have no.problems with the dealer or any of the dealers near me..all offer great service..

I would return them. Distance selling regs allow that. It'll be at your cost to return, but if you've found the kit significantly cheaper elsewhere, I'd go for the saving.
As previously stated, there is no such thing as loyalty.

Cost is king in my book generally (apart from insurance policies, restaurants and holidays)

Apart from insurance companies screwing their 'loyal' customers on renewal premiums. But I guess you're referring to customer service.

Apart from insurance companies screwing their 'loyal' customers on renewal premiums. But I guess you're referring to customer service.
Legislation announced today will prevent new customers getting better deals than renewing customers

Legislation announced today will prevent new customers getting better deals than renewing customers
Could insurance companies just bump up the price slightly for everyone.

I guess they can always say different terms.. e.g different house or car, different driver, different age, different crime rate, less/more days no claims, etc.

I would do the same and just put this experience down to unfortunate timing. I personally don't think it's right to return items unless they're faulty.

You can spend ages looking for the best prices and checking the price history of items but there's always the chance of the price dropping shortly after you've made your purchase. It happened to me when a bought an AV Receiver for about £900 and it was about £600 a few weeks later. It's a bummer when that happens but there have also been times when it's worked the other way round. I recently bought a small subwoofer for £99 and it steadily increased to £239 over the next few weeks.

You win some and you lose some.

I would do the same and just put this experience down to unfortunate timing. I personally don't think it's right to return items unless they're faulty.

You can spend ages looking for the best prices and checking the price history of items but there's always the chance of the price dropping shortly after you've made your purchase. It happened to me when a bought an AV Receiver for about £900 and it was about £600 a few weeks later. It's a bummer when that happens but there have also been times when it's worked the other way round. I recently bought a small subwoofer for £99 and it steadily increased to £239 over the next few weeks.

You win some and you lose some.
Totally agree..I guess Im looking for suggestions what do people do to ease the painful feeling if you know what I mean.

It's always the case, either the price goes down and/or a new model comes out.

I remember I bought the MA silver RS1 speakers for £379 iirc then not long after rhe RX1 came out and the RS1 dropped significantly in price.

Totally agree..I guess Im looking for suggestions what do people do to ease the painful feeling if you know what I mean.

It's always the case, either the price goes down and/or a new model comes out.

I remember I bought the MA silver RS1 speakers for £379 iirc then not long after rhe RX1 came out and the RS1 dropped significantly in price.
I know how you feel but I don't have an ideal way to ease that feeling. You're certainly not alone as this sort of thing happens all the time and the impact it has on people probably varies wildly, depending on their attitude to money and how much money they have. You could try to take the "it's only money" attitude but that can be easier said than done.

I don't like spending more than I have to so this sort of thing is very annoying when it happens to me. That feeling fades over time and I try to keep in mind that I've also bought some stuff cheaper than most buyers, like that subwoofer I mentioned.

I think maybe you'll have to return them as it will eat away at your brain forever and you won't be happy with your purchase. Everyone is just a number nowadays, not sure loyalty counts for much, though it is admirable.

If it's more than £50 difference and you haven't paid and/or the items haven't been dispatched, I would definitely cancel and go with the cheaper purchase option.

If it's more than £50 difference and you haven't paid and/or the items haven't been dispatched, I would definitely cancel and go with the cheaper purchase option.
Its a lot more than £50 difference.

No brainer then! Cancel and order from the cheaper supplier (as long as they are a reputable dealer and will support any issues).

Your dealer would let you home trial them and return them if you don't like them?
They are awesome.

Don't take advantage of them.

What does it feel like? This feels like a "found a wallet" thread

You know you are doing wrong and want people to let you know it's OK.

Don't fudge with the nice dealer, buy them from the cheaper place and then worry about returning them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom