What Is The Toughest Video Game You've Ever Played?

TheNameIsJambo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Out of curiosity, what is the toughest game you have ever played?

1. What game has brought you to the brink of insanity?
  2. What game has made you (almost) smash a controller?
  3. What game has made you roar at the top of your lungs in sheer bloodlust?

The game, which includes all of the above for me is Diddy Kong Racing on the Nintendo 64.

The boss races I encountered in that game were the single most frustrating experiences of my life, not even second to getting blue-balls. But the bosses were nothing compared to completing every track, backwards and forwards, in record time, in an attempt to race T.T himself and eventually unlock him...

That game brought me many hours of joy, and even more hours of anguish!

The Games That Have Made Your Blood Boil (and/or Cry Like a Girl):
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • Jet Set Willy
  • Starcraft (and II)
  • Costa Capers
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Battle Toads
  • Silver Surfer
  • Manic Miner
  • Recca
  • Hunchback
  • Contra
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Ghosts n' Goblins
  • Vagrant Story
  • Airwolf

Last edited:
Jet Set Willy on Spectrum 48K

/thread

:)

As for making my blood boil, there was a part in GTA San Andreas, PS2 I believe it was on, where you had to follow some dance moves perfectly by pressing the correct button on the controller. I must have done that about 50 times before I finally got past it. That part did almost lose me a controller and also my hand/chair which I used to regularly punch after failing the mission yet again.

Last edited:
Hardest one was trying to figure out why you posted this in the PC Gaming forum then mentioned a Nintendo 64 game:confused:

I'm just awesome that way!

I've really not came across an uber hard PC game though :eek:

Except Starcraft (and II).

Are you sure? :D

Very. :D

I know you must have moved it.

Think the one I gave up on was an Amiga game called Carrier Command I think I gave up after 30 minutes

Last edited:
The tougest is the one I'm studying now: DCS A-10C Warthog. You can't really call it a game though. It's developed by Eagle Dynamics - the same guys who made the simulator for the USAF and converted it for home users.

Barring one or two bits of classified information they've left out, they claim it's identical to the real A-10C simulator used to train military pilots.

It's relatively easy to fly the plane itself but still a 100 times harder than anything in Battlefield and to know what you're doing will take months and months.

The learning curve is utterly insane. The user manual is required reading and at 672 pages long is really hard to get my head round. This is the exact bit I'm currently stuck on (page 118):

Mode Selector Dial. This dial in the top left portion of the panel allows you to set the general operational mode of the TISL system. The dial consists of five settings that include:
* OFF. Removes all power to the TISL system.
* CAGE. Places the TISL in standby, startup status and is bore sighted along the aircraft's longitudinal axis. In this mode, TISL cannot acquire or track targets. The TISL needs to stay in this setting for 30 seconds before switching to a different mode.
* DIVE. Directs the TISL system to search 41 mils below the HUD sight line with a 10-degree azimuth.
* LVL NAR. Directs the TISL system to the HUD sight line in a 10-degree azimuth.
* LVL WIDE.

I'll defy anyone to find a tougher 'game' to master, maybe aside from DCS Black Shark.

Have a gander at the manual:

ftp://ftp3.files.eagle.ru/dcs/manuals/DCS-A-10C_Flight_Manual_EN.pdf

Still as hard as it is, I'm geeking out over A10, the more you put in the more you get out.

Jet Set Willy on Spectrum 48K

/thread

:)

Sorry gotta disagree! Jet Set Willy was bloody hard but it's nothing compared to Costa Capers. Anyone who finishes that is a gaming god :eek:

Bit difficult to compare to the games of my childhood(JSW etc.) which would doubtless infuriate me now as I took them in my stride back in the day, but definately the game which has brought the most rage out of me....

Super Meat Boy, infuriatingly brilliant:devil: Platforming perfection where while tough and unforgiving, you always blamed yourself rather than poor controls or level design.

Had me swearing so bad my wife even started complaining from upstairs:D but God what a game!

To help the kids and young'uns of today grasp what it was like, imagine a game like Call of Duty on single player, but with no save game facility. So every time you died you had to start from the beginning.

That would give you an idea of how hard some of the games back in the early days were.

To help the kids and young'uns of today grasp what it was like, imagine a game like Call of Duty on single player, but with no save game facility. So every time you died you had to start from the beginning.

That would give you an idea of how hard some of the games back in the early days were.

Don't forget the obligatory drop to your death if you jumped across screens and miss timed it that was in every decent platformer. You spend hours on Chuckie Egg 2/JSW etc then when silly move and it's die,die,die,die,die.......game over :laugh:

Just found this on Costa Capers, the collision detection was brutal too!

Perfect example of the drop and die constantly at the end of the vid too lol

Last edited:
Qwop

Battle Toads, by an interstellar distance. Horrendously difficult inplaces to the point where i smashed gamepads trying to get through levels.

Think Ghouls & Ghosts x 100 and you get the idea :thumbsdow

More recently i would say Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox. I hated that game but that's probably because i was getting older and couldn't hack it. Nevertheless, pads were smashed and at 30 or so, that is rather sad :(

Last edited:
Battle Toads? I've never heard of it!

You should drag out the NES and play Silver Surfer... Euurrrggh...

Battle Toads? I've never heard of it!

You should drag out the NES and play Silver Surfer... Euurrrggh...

Played it, it was miles tougher than that. Was on the NES or SNES as well if i remember right :laugh:

Also what was that PC platformer, To be the Guy or something. Another hairpuller :thumbsdow

Circus on the NES was mine. Couldnt get any further than lever 5, with all those trampolines, swinging ropes, hoops etc. Couldn't hack it!

Manic Miner was pretty damn hard. There were some stupidly hard games back in the day though. The thing is they were often hard because of crap collision detection and game design. Games these days create addiction from the experience they provide, rather than the need to beat a stupidly hard game. Many of the folk who are sub 30 just won't realise the level of frustration that gaming brought with it back in the day. You were usually over the moon if you could get the damn tape loaded after messing with the volume and tone and twisting the tape head screw with a screwdriver!

Manic Miner was pretty damn hard. There were some stupidly hard games back in the day though. The thing is they were often hard because of crap collision detection and game design. Games these days create addiction from the experience they provide, rather than the need to beat a stupidly hard game. Many of the folk who are sub 30 just won't realise the level of frustration that gaming brought with it back in the day. You were usually over the moon if you could get the damn tape loaded after messing with the volume and tone and twisting the tape head screw with a screwdriver!

:laugh: and by setting the volume level you had to set with a virtual micrometer, to attain perfect loading..some damn games just wouldn't load on my system unless the volume was 2 spikes before 8(on the tape volume wheel, it was rough with little pointed edges that stuck out), and woe betide someone if they moved it..:laugh:

[-]Another vote for Battletoads though, and possibly Chuckie Egg, [/-]for later levels, lately, Demon Souls/Dark Souls.

Last edited:
^ Thankfully I never had a crappy Spectrum. Remember waiting for Outrun to load. About 1 hour. Then it crashed. Tried again. Then it crashed.

Had a computer with tape (BBC and Vic 20) but never as crappy as those things. Wasn't impressed with the rubber keyed Spectrum either, felt horrible.

:eek:Wash your mouth out with soap!

lol..nothing else to be said..:rotfl:

Edit to my post above, hardest game : Summer Carnival '92 - Recca on the NES, amazing for that console, both video and audio, but hard as well, a ****ing really hard thing.! :rotfl:

Last edited:

I'll tell you what was tough going back to the Speccy days. Hunchback! I still remember bits of that game where you had to jump from rampart to rampart then from rope to rope that were absolute nightmares.

I finished Manic Miner when I was about 14 and I seem to remember there was a message at the end.?? Tough game though.

Another tough one was Contra on the SNES!! Way harder than G&G

Call of Duty 2 (360) on veteran, So hard couldn't even manage first 5mins of it.

^Do you only have 3 lives throughout the whole game though? No you an just retry again and again from the previous checkout.

Not like games of old. Start again.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom