1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the sweet spot?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kid rock, Oct 13, 2004.

1. kid rock

kid rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can anyone tell me what is precisely meant by a sweet spot? is there also a formula for how far apart front speakers should be in relation to the listeners seating position ie if I am sitting 3 meters away from the speakers how far apart should they be? :confused:

ATB

Kid Rock

2. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    they should be approx apart the same distance as you are from the centre point between them! and turn them towards the listening point!

this is a rough guide are speakers will vary - but it's a good starting point!

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    The way I would descibe the sweet spot is:
    Any room will change the sound coming out of the speakers due to accoustics (sound bouncing off walls & furniture etc). Also as you move around the room the accoustics will cause the sound to be different, say less bass in one seat and boomy bass in another etc etc. So the sweet spot is the area in the listening room that you have the sound set as you like it with the correct stereo (or 5.1 etc) imageing ie where you sit to listen.

Mark.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,327
    Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this one and asking my own questions ?
    Last night I was sitting in front of the amp looking at all the settings, so was very close to the speakers. I noticed that the sound from them seemed to be much fuller than when I'm sitting in my usual position. I then noticed that the speakers were pointing inwards at quite an angle, so that if you drew a line from them it would intercept far in front of where I sit (probably been like this since I've had a new carpet). I repositioned the speakers so that they were nearly firing straight down the room and I'm sure that the sound was much fuller than before. Is this possible or was I just imagining it ?

5. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hi John,

I'd say it was definitely possible, I was down at my parents at the weekend and we were listening to my dads stereo, we were trying to decide about toeing-in or not, there was a huge difference in the sound with them toed-in, it was much fuller and better. The speakers were quite close to the corners so this probably accentuated the fact but I think there is quite a lot to be had from trying different orientations.

Just wish it was a bit easier to adjust heavy floorstanders with spikes on laminate!

6. mdinch

mdinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Place large ceramic floor tiles under the speakers. Saves scratching and dents in the floor. Some people place pennies under the spikes. A bit fiddly though.
    I have my floorstanders on floor tiles.

Mel.

7. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Yeah, I've got some of those plastic discs that protect the floor, they work great but the trouble is that the weight of the speakers is so much that you can't really slide them when they're in place, makes it very difficult to do small adjustments to the angle of the speakers.

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    JohnG
    I have just recently got a Velodyne DD-15 subwoofer that is supplied with a mic and onscreen setup. By moving the mic just a few inches in any direction you can see a large difference on the on screen display with the SPL of many frequencies from the fequency sweep output by the sub. I would therefore think that the bass from your speakers is behaving exactly the same. This also shows how important finding the sweet spot is, and how small an area it is.

Mark.

9. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

As you move 'off axis' ie: move left or right from directly in front of the speaker, the treble will drop off due to the baffle diffraction. ie: above a certain frequency the tweeter will beam more sound at you rather than in all directions..

here's a pic to show what I mean...

the plot shows the measurements at 0 degrees (directly in front), 30 degrees and 60 degrees. (the 0 degrees plot is the top one, the 60 degree plot the lowest one)

hth,

Rob

Attached Files:

10. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, and sweetspot...

I always think of the sweet spot as the place you sit so as to hear stereo music properly, ie the vocalist etc sounds like they're singing from directly in front of you.

A good place to start is to imagine an equal sided triangle, with the speakers at 2 points and your head at the other.

Another way to try is to kneel at the back of the room, in the middle of the speakers and slowly walk/waddle :D forwards towards the speakers until the music gains a 3 dimensional quality.

Cheers,

Rob

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,327
    Some good information in this thread for HiFi- idiots like me :blush: I'm afraid my problem is that I really enjoy the end product of music and movie sound, but don't know enough about the science behind it.
    It looks like I've got to spend some time adjusting the position of my speakers, but it's not easy adjusting heavy spiked floorstanders on a carpet either, especially when you want to move it just a fraction !

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    John,
    why not remove the spikes from the speakers so they are easier to adjust. Once you have the sweet spot where you want it you can then put the spikes back on the bottom of the speakers!

Mark.

13. arcamalpha

arcamalpha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

John, have you not got a patient friend who can do the minute movements of the speakers while you evaluate.
    Basically, how I understand it, try positioning them so they cross ( imaginary ) just in front of your listening position.
    Because every room is different, not just in the size, it really is trial and error until eventually you hit the " Sweet spot "

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,327
    I'll bribe my mate on Friday with a few cans of beer. I think the main problem is that once you've lifted the spike clear of the carpet pile, it's not easy to maintain the position of the speaker so that you can adjust it slightly. Having lifted it clear it can move side to side.