What is the score with Denon 2800?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DamianD, Nov 22, 2001.

1. DamianD

DamianD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the magazine reviews I've read on this player have been glowing, 'What Hi Fi' even including it in their dream home cinema set up and awarding it in the 2001 awards issue. None of the reviews even briefly mention the many problems I've been reading on the various (mostly US based) forums, such as the random audio drop-outs and lip-synch issues etc.

I really want this player as their is simply nothing else like it (referring mainly to its de-interlacing abilities) available here in the UK, especially at the price. But there's no way I want a £600 player which will play a disc fine one minute, and then start breaking up the picture and sound the next (especially if it's on a random and inconsistant basis and not just with certain problematic discs).

I'd really appreciate any feedback/input from people who own or have had some experience with this DVD player, mentioning any problems they have run into (however major or minor), or from those who simply havent had any problems whatsoever with their experiences with this machine.

Cheers,
    Damian.

2. robocook

robocook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ditto.

Really wanted one of these [ it's what credit cards and christmas bonuses were invented for ] until I saw the problems.

Denon pulled stock of US shelves and fixed the nasties with a firmware change - I can only presume the German firmware multi-region flash takes Denon's patched firmware as a starting point.

But rumours abound about a DVD 2900 with a different chipset for the progressive scan... some Japanese e-comm sites are listing it as coming soon...

Oh and knocking out the 2800 for a sale price of Y58,000 - £342.45 (with duty and VAT £458.71!!! where's that Evening Standard flights offer????)

take it stop!!!

3. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :cool:
    Sorry if this is not done correctly as I'm a newbie to this forum
    please dont think the denon 2800 is all bad news if you are running the lates firmware patch 2248 you will not have any problems plus this unit uses a better chipset than that of the new 2900! I think Denon wanted to really make a bang with this model first up so they chose DVO and boy my Sony 10ht loves the denon I think the problems with the USA model was the firmware patch 55XX I had a slight lip sync problem with 2208 but its all gone and thank god

regards Laurie

4. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    i bought this player recently and have watched about 5 films so have and i havent had any trouble!!!!!
    i'm using firmware 2248 multiregion and pal prodressive

jason

5. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    how long have you had your denon 2800,because iv'e been waiting about 2 weeks for mine from empire direct.
    phoned them today and they said it should be in stock next week(wishing & hoping).
    i got a good price £581!

dvd

6. DamianD

DamianD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason,

Where did you get it from? By the way, does anyone know if the CD-R upgrade hacks the player for multi-region as well as updating the firmware and adding PAL progressive capability?

Damian.

7. dochall

dochall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep incl RCE

8. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    i got mine from mediachekpoint in germany it cost £584 inc delivery, it took about four days to come .
    and yes the cdr hack makes it multiregion and it changes region automatically you just put in the disc and away she goes:)

jason

9. DamianD

DamianD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was gonna get it from Media Checkpoint as well, but after finding out Empire direct were doing it for £590 (inc. postage) I thought that might be a better option in case anything does go wrong with it. But...Empire only seem to stock it in gold and I'd rather have black as the rest of my equipment is black!

Damian.

10. DamianD

DamianD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason,

Is the voltage-output/plug on the German Denon 2800 the same as the UK model?

Thanks,
    Damian.

11. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    well it came with a two pin plug but i cut that off and put a conventional three pin plug on,i havent had any problems with voltage the manual says its 230 volts.

when i ordered mine mediacheckpoint didnt have it in black,empire direct didnt have any neither did unbeatable.

i was offered a multiregion one for a discount price of £700 but i cant remember who it was from!!! someone in uk.

so being soo impatient i opted for a gold one from media checkpoint,i got to admit the idea of ordering from germany frightened me a little but two other forum members purchased the same player from them and after speaking to ian guinan he convinced me i should be ok

jason ;)

12. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    hi damian, 2 weeks ago unbeatable had the denon 2800 in black for £607,so give them a try.

dvd