What Is The RS232 Output For?

Rick1486

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, just a quick question - the other day whilst connecting my new H57 projector using the supplied SCART adaptor to run VGA to VGA from the SKY+ to the projector, I saw an RS232 jack near to the SCART sockets.
Would someone please tell me what this is for?
Can I use it to just plug directly using my VGA cable and maybe get a better quality picture than I'm currently getting using the SCART adaptor?

Hope you can help.

Cheers
Rick

LOL - its a serial connector NOT a VGA connnector. Serial port (for data transfer) is used to connect to a PC to install patches etc.

Funnily enough I came into this section after noticing the same thing last night. You beat me to the question.... I am also thinking if connection via VGA cable into my plassie is possible.

Branny

You can get a RGB -> VGA converter that would allow to connect the scart ouptut from a Sky box to the VGA input on a plasma.

John

D'oh! Thanks mate.
Branny if the quality on your Panny is the same as my H57, I'd recommend not bothering because personally I didn't notice an improvement in pq really, rather I did start to see some shadowing so I wouldn't waste money on a cable (he says, £30 odd quid spent on a Lindy cable later).
Rick

If you want better quality from the Sky+ box, you need to invest in a scaler. However, as in most other things the "law of diminishing returns" comes into play, and you don't get much for your money at the lower end of the market. Projectors usually benefit greatly by being fed from a progressive source.

Thanks mate, don't think I'll bother with a scaler though - the piccie isn't that bad.

Cheers
Rick

My piccie is also good. Was just that I have a spare monitor cable that I would have plugged in. Thanks for the tips tho.

Cheers
Branny

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom