1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Is The Resolution of Hi8

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Garrett, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,470
    I have been looking as some video capture cards and some say 320*240 and others 720*576.
    I was wondering what resolution Hi8 was, as it would be a waste of time burning footage using too lower resolution input, yet I can get the lower spec ones less than half price if it is equal or better to the resolution.

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi8 format can vary from camera to camera, it is usually presumed to be between 350 lines (single chip consumer end of market) to around 400 lines (professional / 3 ccd level).

What is more important is the tv standard that you are working in, which is PAL so you should go for the 576x720 model. This means that if you upgrade your camera at some point you will be able to get better results from DV or Digital8, even going through your analogue capture card.

You should also look for a model which has an S-Video (sometimes called Y/C) input as this will help you get the best from the Hi8 recording system as well as improving the analogue capture from any future camcorder you buy.

Although you might not be using the full capability of the card, you would probably be over stretching the capibility of the lower spec card, it's always better to capture at the best quality possible and downgrade it for your chosen application later on.

Hope this helps.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,470
    Yes, Thanks for the info Roy :smashin: