1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the rarest DVD you own?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by sparkybabes, Jul 24, 2002.

1. sparkybabes

sparkybabes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a movie fanatic; I still have my video collection of around 900 titles and would never sell any of them. The majority are pre-certification and include some very rare titles, some valued at over £200.
    I started collecting DVDs about four years ago and I seem to be adept at buying releases that are either withdrawn from sale or have very small print runs. Perhaps my years of searching for the illusive rare video have given me a sixth sense.
    Although DVDs are still a relatively new format, it seems that some releases are fetching ridiculously high prices already. The value of certain DVDs released two or three years ago are surpassing some of the rare videos I own which are twenty years old.
    Whether these prices are justified is another debate, I'm sure that mass hysteria created by certain online auction sites has something to do with the inflated prices these DVDs sell for. I must admit I have paid over the retail price for one or two titles, which are now out of print.
    I will always try to buy the best version of a film released on DVD, I don't think I could settle for an inferior UK release if I knew there was another version boasting an anamorphic transfer, more extras, limited availability etc. etc. etc.
    It may sound elitist, but I would never consider buying DVDs from HMV, Virgin, Tesco, Asda etc. as they cater for the "average Joe" who wants to play his average DVD on his average (Wharfdale/Lecson/Oritron/Cyberhome/Yelo) DVD player. I would not get the same warm feeling inside if I knew the majority of my DVD collection could easily be owned by any Tom, Dick or Harry... or Joe!
    This post is so long I've forgotten the point of it. Aah yes, rare DVDs. As a challenge to certain members of this forum who think that there is no such thing as a rare DVD, if you can find any of these (new) for a reasonable price (let's say £20) I will give you £100.

1. Leon - Integral/International version (metal case) - Jap R0

2. Scream - Collector's Series Deluxe Ed. (metal case) - Jap R0

3. Army of Darkness - Anchor Bay 2 Disc Ltd Ed - US R1

4. Halloween - Anchor Bay 2 Disc Ltd Ed - US R1

5. Day of the Dead - Anchor Bay - US R1

6. Dawn of the Dead - Anchor Bay Director's Cut - US R1

7. Hard Boiled - Criterion Collection - US R1

8. The Killer - Criterion Collection - US R1

9. Kickboxer - HBO (uncut) - US R1 (no comments please)

10. Alien Legacy Box Set - 20 Cent Fox - US R1 (not that rare you might argue, but this includes the official bonus 5th disc)

11. Fist of the North Star - Image Entertainment (uncut, Eng Dialogue) - US R1

I have listed a few of what I consider "rare" DVDs from my collection. I could have included Akira (metal case), Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (metal case) and many others, but these are still available if you know where to look. Please also note that I never buy films I haven't seen, nor would I buy a film purely because it comes in a lovely shiny tin.
    Is there anyone else out there as sad as I am?
    Is there anyone out there who agrees with my philosophy?
    More importantly, is there anyone out there who can rise to the challenge?

Thanks for reading, bye now.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I guess that's better than paying good money for it.

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Sparky,

As much as I don't want to offend you, seeing as you are a new member and all, I have to say that your post is very elitist, to say the least! It also smacks a little of just plain boasting! :rolleyes:

Firstly, you say: "I would never consider buying DVDs from HMV, Virgin, Tesco, Asda etc. as they cater for the "average Joe" who wants to play his average DVD on his average (Wharfdale/Lecson/Oritron/Cyberhome/Yelo) DVD player. I would not get the same warm feeling inside if I knew the majority of my DVD collection could easily be owned by any Tom, Dick or Harry... or Joe!"

I'm sorry, but that's just outright elitism, from the get go! You are implying that anyone who buys a DVD from a regular high-street store, is somehow "less of a person". I buy both Region 1 and Region 2 titles, and I don't own any of the DVD players you named. I'm also pretty certain there are plenty of other Forum Members who are the same as me. Just because we don't spend large sums of money on one individual title, doesn't make us any less of fans of movies or DVD's, nor does it make us any less of collectors of DVD's!

As for your challenge, more often than not, you wouldn't have been able to get most of the titles you list new, at less than £20 originally upon release anyhow. So challenging us to try and locate them now, when they've technically been deleted, is just facile!

And anyway, some of your "rare" DVD's aren't actually that impressive! I mean, so what if you've got "Leon: Version Integrale" with a metal case, from Japan. Ditto, with "Scream"!

As for the "Alien Legacy Box Set", none of the US sets included the "bonus 5th DVD" with them! You had to send in a special card, to be sent the fifth disc. And as the offer was only for US and Canadian residents, then this suggests one of two things:
    1) You lived in the US or Canada, or had someone that lived there, who could mail-in the offer for you, and then send the fifth DVD over to you in the UK. Or...
    2) You didn't buy the set new.

Also, so what if you get the R1 edition. The R2 edition was identical to the R1 version, and had the Bonus DVD included with ALL sets. No sending in a card, and hoping that the DVD would arrive. No waiting by the letterbox. Hardly a rare set. Sorry.

You also asked: "Is there anyone else out there as sad as I am?"
    I can only presume the answer to that question is, "Yes". And I don't agree with your philosophy, as it's actually all rather tragic and sad! You give me the impression that you're nothing but a spoilt, little rich brat, with nothing better to do than search the world for the rarest, most expensive version of a film, regardless of the contents of that film, just so you can boast about it!

Sorry, but if anything, in my eyes, that makes you a rather poor, pathetic, and tragic little individual!

Pooch

4. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well this pooch can really bare his teeth!!...

...and on the whole I do have to agree with you pooch, the whole "average Joe" statement does smell rather alot of elitism, and for that I (and no doubt many others) will take exception to the post... but for me, what also comes accross is a man who is very proud of his collection, and rightly so, he has several desirable dvd's and I'm sure quite a few more that anyone would love to have in his/her collection. What he dosn't seem to realise is that (in my experience) this forum is used by people who want to come together and talk about the hobby of home cinema with likeminded people, not get into "mine is better than yours" type debates or competition.

Sparky, I am very happy with my dvd collection, although I'm sure it is not as comprehensive as yours, it consists of the film's I wanted, in the editions I wanted them... and although I congratulate you on your collection, I cannot help feeling a little sad that you seem to need the adulation of us "average Joe's" to appreciate them...

Iain.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I doubt any of my disks are rare because I only started buying DVDs a few months ago; and to be honest, I couldn't care less.

In the vast majority of cases, all I care about is the film and its transfer quality and the only "extras" I give a damn about are deleted scenes and alternative endings (and sometimes music videos). But I will choose an anamorphic transfer, accurate aspect ratio, uncensored version, etc, over these every time (whatever the region). Those are to do with the film and that's what's most important. In rare cases, I do really care about extras. For example, I couldn't live without the extras on Donnie Darko (particularly the Director's commentary) simply because they give clues as to what is going on in the movie. It would be extremely difficult to grasp fully what is going on in Donnie Darko without them! There are, of course, other similar examples of where extras are important.

But, in general, anyone who cares more about extras than the film itself is not a movie fan as far as I'm concerned. After all, you buy the DVDs to watch the movies; otherwise, they just make cumbersome furniture. ;) How many times does anyone actually watch the extras on all of their DVDs anyway? How many times can you enjoy that trailer or that "making of" featurette? I bet it's just once in most cases. :rolleyes:

You said that you never buy films that you haven't seen, so can I assume that you would buy a film that you had seen but didn't like (because it was rare)? I ask because it sounds like you are buying DVDs as an investment, rather than the joy of owning your favourite movies. If so, I have no problem with that - it's your money after all. But your post doesn't come across that way, in which case I see collecting for collecting's sake as pointless. :rolleyes: In fact, I wonder how often you actually watch your big collection of DVDs or videos? Even at the generous rate of 2 films per night, work out how long it would take you to watch all of your movies and you'll see what I'm getting at ..... it would take 450 days just to watch all of your video collection .... that's 450 days where you watch 2 films a night (3-4 hours), every night, for 450 days ... ;)

I buy lots of films without having first seen them, purely because I enjoy the thrill of discovering good movies, so I'm willing to take calculated risks to get that thrill :cool:. And I'll buy them from whomever will supply me with what I want at the right price and with the right customer service. Yes, I've bought from HMV before, but not the others you have mentioned - admittedly I don't do this too often, but that's because they don't stock what I want at the right price, so I use Web retailers more.

If I'm the "average Joe" then that's cool with me - I'm satisfied with what I've got and that's what's important. :) But do I get a warm feeling from knowing I own movies that I think are great?* No, I don't even get that (and I wouldn't get that if they were rare either). I get a warm feeling from watching the movies that I think are great... and I have to say, from your post, it doesn't sound like you do... In fact, it sounds like you will not buy DVDs unless they are rare or supplied from non-"average Joe" sources. That means you're ignoring lots of great movies because you don't wish to dilute your collection! :eek: I'm sorry, but I can't understand that and I think it's a great shame because, if it's true, you're really missing out! ;)

I wonder if you also have this attitude towards other things in your life like clothes, food, home furnishings, etc.....?

* Yes I know I own some bad movies too but that's because I take chances ;)

6. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    My rarest discs are typically the ones I want to watch but can never find, and by the time I do I don't want to any more:mad:

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's why I've put my DVDs into alphabetical order. Try it - your mates will call you a ****er but you'll never have to do without your fave movie again ;) :p

One day I'll sort my CDs into alphabetical order but I think it will take a long time :(

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,483
    Uncut VCD of Bloodsport $1.25......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1551253464

or how about German R2 release....for £19.99

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1551585783

thats £100 please sparkybabes.....pay up now!!

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I was reading the original post when the word "********" sprung into my mind. It's so much shorter and to the point than Pooch's extended response.

I am not sure that I would get the same warm feeling inside knowing that I share the same forum as this plonker.

10. Tafsir

Tafsir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    van dammes BLOODSPORT is 1 of the best hard hiting Martial Arts movie you will like to see ,just say it ROCKS,

van damme may not be able to act, but Martial Arts kick A**

i would love to own the dvd version of BLOODSPORT the film,
    as i have all his films on vhs, i am slowly getting the odd few on dvd to replace the vhs stuff

as for dvd players not everybody can go out and spend 500+ plus on a player

the Cyberhome 528 is abargin buy at 80 pounds that i payed for a bedroom player

i also have a pioneer dvd player as my main player with speakers set

Tafsir

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although it pains me to say it, the auction has 4 days left, and in my experience of eBay - people tend to bid more on the last day and in the last few hours.

Keep checking though - it'd be great if sparkybabes has to cough up :p

12. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,483
    its starting to look dated now.....but it was made about 17 years ago...

13. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not rare yet but a couple of years ago I paid £42.00 for a criterion copy of Robocop-at the time the only uncut version and one of my all time favouries. some mags were saying that this version would never be released here so when I saw it I grabbed it (net) found it a week later at £26+ and then it comes out here. I still prefer my copy but the price was a quick internet buying learning experience.

P.S. sparkybabes as you're new I'll put your post down to extreme naivety-if not you're on the wrong forum buddy.

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really don't get the metal tin mentality, its just case of the studios making more money by releasing superfluous versions in fancy packaging, I couldn't care less about the packaging or how rare a release is , just how good the film and transfer are.
    And as for the average joe comment, I really don't get that. DVD has got to be the first video format that gives everyone access to such high quality. DVD players range from a bargain basement £80 to silly high-end two-boxers at £11k+. But think about it the media we are all using is the same. Gone are the days when if you wanted higher quality than VHS you had to buy a laserdisc. So I don't really identify with anything you're saying there fella.

15. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wot a bell end, :eek:

16. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    There is a very similar ( but much much longer ) thread on same subject over at www.thedvdforums.com

Its actually quite funny to read - many many people responding and nearly all of the say that two of the rarest DVDs are SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and ROBOCOP criterion editions - how can they be rare if so many own them - god even I have the Robocop Criterion !

However it does seem that some people are prepared to pay silly prices for some DVDs - SALO Criterion being one

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that you will find he was trying to tell us that he was superior to ordinary mortals.

I wonder whether he knows a certain female on this forum that also has delusions of grandeur.

18. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Sparkybabes, I too love movies, as do a great many other members round here. However, your pseudo elitist view really hasn't endeared you to these boards faithfull.

Mainstream stores have a valid and useful function in bringing DVD to the mainstream. They often sell material at reduced prices which to my mind is a good thing.

The titles you have stated are to my mind, not that rare, most of them being quite easily availble to buy from various websites.

UK DVD consumers do not wish to be considered elitist, as this is counter productive. UK retailers will not produce high quality discs loaded with extras and mastered from quality prints, if they feel that there just selling to a small group of techno geeks.

To be perceived as a "average" punter at times gives us a stronger lobby.

19. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most people on this thread seem to be referring to Sparkybabes as male, but Sparkybabes is more of a female username isn't it? :confused:

20. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Well spotted Squirrel. I wonder if ************* got fed up with her user name and decided to use a new one.

That's not allowed though :D

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmm I wonder who you're refering to??;)

22. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The conundrum is accursed

23. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice legs tho.... its a pity that they are probably not hers

24. AsillyCow

AsillyCow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can assure you young man, they are all mine.

25. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    :( Best kept to yourself I reckon:devil:

26. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought Tom Crusie was very good. Picture was a bit fuzzy though. Must have been the popcorn :D
    All in all I would give Minority Report 4 out of 5

Ron

27. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh how cute Ian J is thinking of me again *swoon*

28. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Acrusty,
    Some em your real boots. You know, the burgundy coloured ones with the holes in the soles and rain marks :D

29. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spunky Brain,
    I bought Marry Poppins SE down Dagenham market, beat that my son. :D
    I was going to buy Cast Away ESE (Extra special edition) as well but I was with Duggy quaid at the time and he convinced me not to buy it. He threatened to knock my teeth out if Tom Hanks photo went anywhere near him :D

30. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ronaldo,
    You need to double up on your pills matey :D