1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the purpose of "line out"?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by L11, Sep 7, 2005.

1. L11

L11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just wondering because i plug my HD5 into my amp usin the headphone socket and not changing it to 'line out' and it sounds fine..

2. Anonyrat

Anonyrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No reason why it will not sound fine - it is just that the line out is a hotter signal and you should get a better signal(less distortion ). Just don't listen to the line out through headphones, it will distort and blow whatever is between your ears out of your nostrils.
    Also Line out is direct it doesn't use the built in EQ's.

3. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Line out provides an industry standard level and impedence match for feeding into a HiFi system. By using the headphone setting, theoretically at least, you are degrading the signal to noise ratio of your amplifier evidenced by you having to turn the amp volume up higher than you would normally when listening to a CD player for instance.

The ultimate arbiter though is your own ears and if it sound "fine" to you don't worry about it.

4. L11

L11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thats what i wanted to hear really. Thanx