• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What is the pre to buy an AV9?

TheLastHero

Standard Member
I wonder something. I had bought my self a DV139, this dvd/cd-player has a very good peocessor on-board?

So if I listen to my music I let de DV139 do the translation from digital to analog.

I can do the same with the sound from a movie. So I think the only thing I need is a pre-amplifier that allows me to put 5 inputs for movies, I dont know if these exist.

But now is my question, what can be a good reason to buy my self the AV9?

I also have a Denon AVC-A1D and maybe I can use this one as a pre-amplifier, but I don't know what this does with my sound?

aubi

Standard Member
There are a few multichannel analog preamplifiers, but they are all expensive. In your case I would considered the Arcam solution. A32,C30 or C31 with the multichannel board fitted.

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Don't use the Denon as a pre-amp. Is very destructive to the signal, even at simply taking analogue input and passing it through on direct mode to analogue output. Surprisingly destructive in fact. Arcam does it a LOT better.

TheLastHero

Standard Member
There are a few multichannel analog preamplifiers, but they are all expensive.

I know Parasound has one, but which brands has also this kind of pre-amplifiers?

Don't use the Denon as a pre-amp. Is very destructive to the signal, even at simply taking analogue input and passing it through on direct mode to analogue output. Surprisingly destructive in fact. Arcam does it a LOT better.

Thanks I didn't know this.

markusp

If you can find one, the Audio Refinement Pre5 is a great choice for your needs. It is strictly analog (no digital processing at all) and manufactured by famed audio guru YBA.

Audio Refinement is no more - YBA closed the division last year - BUT sound quality is terrific and used prices are very very good. There is currently one available on Audiogon for $600 US: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1181356927

As long as you don't require digital processing or a built-in DAC, the Pre5 would be at the top of my list.

TheLastHero

Standard Member
Another question ,just because I don't have money enough yet.

Can Ik buy a C31 + 2x P1 and put the digital out into the Denon. After that put the front left/right into the pre-amplifier C31 and use the Arcam fot the front speaker parts?

So I can already buy my P1's and pre-amplifier, so I can save for the rest.

aubi

Standard Member
Another question ,just because I don't have money enough yet.

Can Ik buy a C31 + 2x P1 and put the digital out into the Denon. After that put the front left/right into the pre-amplifier C31 and use the Arcam fot the front speaker parts?

So I can already buy my P1's and pre-amplifier, so I can save for the rest.

You can, but then you would have to volume controls in row.

tvh3ad

So the only advantage is for using the AV9 is if you don't have the DV139? Or are there some more advantages?

I have an AV9 because in addition to playing DVDs/CDs, I have a PVR with digital output, a TV with digital output, a digital connection from my Mac's iTunes library, and my house is set up for two separate zones. I needed onboard DACs, HDMI switching, and a good analog direct pathway as well, so the AV9 was (and is) essentially perfect for me.

That said, the AV9 is a full-fledged controller. If you only watch movies via DVD and listen to music, you probably don't need it.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom