What is the power output of the rear USB

tommy060289

Standard Member
Reaction score
Quick question, I have a samsung TV remote control which has a mains charger to charge the battery but ideally Id like to keep the mains point free on the wall so I was wondering if I could charge it from the USB port on the back of the xbox with a simple USB-mini USB cable.

Does anyone know if the xbox could do it or would it cause an error with the xbox?

It is 5v. Why not give it a go? May work!

Yes - all the time. They are standard usb ports. One thing I cant remember is if they supply power when the xbox is off.

has anyone charged any non xbox accessories from the xbox i.e a phone?

Yeah constantly, MP3 players and phones have been using xbox as a charger

Yes - all the time. They are standard usb ports. One thing I cant remember is if they supply power when the xbox is off.

They used to but not sure if this function has dropped off in favour of a more energy efficient standard.

It's possible to make a few adjustments to ensure you get a constant USB on. As it stands though the USB power will cit around 5 seconds after switching the 360 off.

They used to but not sure if this function has dropped off in favour of a more energy efficient standard.
I've just tried plugging my phone into one of the USB ports with the console off, and it starts charging.

It's weird though, cos if you have one of the new controllers that comes with a play and charge kit and it's not fully charged, when you turn the console off the fans continue to run until the controller battery is fully charged, then they switch off. Also, if you plug the controller in when the console is off, it won't start charging. I don't see why they've done that when the ports are obviously still powered when the console is fully off.

BTW, how do I turn these annoying SkimWords off? I've tried toggling the option on and off in my profile, but they're permanently on.

Aye it's a funny config on the USB power ports, I don't know if the xbox just stops the pad from charging when the xbox is off so the pad doesn't come on and in turn switch the xbox on.

The Skimwords should just be switched off in the profile like you've done, maybe need to highlight in the mod section that the function isn't working properly.

The USB ports have 2 power modes, one is an ultra low power mode and is designed to supply enough power for a wired controller to power on the console. The second is the full power mode that keeps the PSU in the fully on state (green light), accessories such as controllers and headsets will keep the console in this mode even after shutdown until they stop drawing power to charge.

Some devices will charge in the low power mode, but in the case of my phones/MP3 players they require more power to charge than that mode provides. But if you plug them in before the console is turned off they will charge, and may stop the console turning off fully (I've never checked).

Last edited:
Yeah that makes sense as it will need even a small amount of power to have the ability to turn the console on!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom