Quantcast

Question What is the point of Movie Mode?

asw

Novice Member
Manufacturers' advertising blurb always seems to push things like contrast ratio, brightness, colour clarity and intensity etc. etc. etc.

I've always been puzzled by the "Movie Mode" option on smart TV's that reduces all of the above "desired" characteristics and washes out the picture making everything look very dull and lifeless.

Does anyone actually select "Movie Mode" when watching movies?

Am I missing something here?

Foster1984

Manufacturers' advertising blurb always seems to push things like contrast ratio, brightness, colour clarity and intensity etc. etc. etc.

I've always been puzzled by the "Movie Mode" option on smart TV's that reduces all of the above "desired" characteristics and washes out the picture making everything look very dull and lifeless.

Does anyone actually select "Movie Mode" when watching movies?

Am I missing something here?
I always run "Movie Mode", usually tweaking the settings a little. But that includes reducing some of the settings even further.

asw

Novice Member
But why run "Movie Mode" at all? Why degrade your picture quality?
That's what I don't understand.

Flynch191

Movie mode to me makes things too dull even using the settings on this website. Maybe I'm just not used to the real life like movie setup.
I've tweaked lots of settings but still watch movies and TV using the standard setting. I'm happy with the picture I get. Ofc depending on source hdr etc settings kick in.

Stinger69

Movie or cinema mode usually most closely follows industry standards, allowing you to see as closely as possible what the content creators saw on their monitors during production and editing. If you don't like it, that's fine! Just set the picture to how you like it.

Manufacturers usually boast of very high brightness and contrast levels that are really coming into their own with HDR material.

Andy

D

Deleted member 824553

Movie/Cinema modes are for viewing in a completely dark room, hence the "cinema". When viewing in such dark environment, your eyes adapt after a few minutes and pick up all the detail without problem, just like in a movie theater.

The problem you are having is too much marketing and hype-pumping brightness and colours to the max to have a feeling of a "better" picture, but it is not (losing shadow detail etc). It looks punchier in a bright room, true, but it is not as the creators intended. Some people feel the picture is better when everything looks like a Tron movie, but to me it just looks alien. Or Samsung AMOLED calibration on Galaxy S phones that always looks oversaturated.

Also with HDR, the point is to have more brightness when and where in the picture it is actually needed (sun, explosions, different stars at night), not have the whole picture turned up to max, like in demo materials you see in shops. Those are there to fool buyers to look at their TV set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom